Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #91
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
Thanks for the airport tips, folks. That's a foreign place to me. I might give it a try next time I'm on the road.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #92
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
Thanks for the airport tips, folks. That's a foreign place to me. I might give it a try next time I'm on the road.
Well, I had an opportunity to try out the camping-at-an-airport trick. It didn't work so well.

I was in... um... North Carolina maybe, very near the coast. There was a state park where I was headed to see if I could find a place for my tent. The park was loaded full, so I continued on to find a free spot. I passed a small airport. I went into the entrance, but it sure didn't look like a very good place to set up a tent.

Airports, by design, are very wide open places. They're also quite secure. It seemed to me as I rode toward the main building that wherever I put a tent, someone would surely see me and probably come asking questions.

Can you describe the best way for airport camping? Would they really not mind if someone just parked a motorcycle on the grass nearby and set up a tent?

Jamie

Old 10-29-2008, 03:28 AM   #93
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
I rather suspect that if you tried to set up a tent at, or even near, a British airport you'd wake up with a dozen Heckler & Kochs pointed at you. That's if you were lucky. Do it in some countries and you might never wake up. I think airport camping is a really bad idea.

Washing. It's fun to wash in a river. I did get caught out in the Dolomites alpine region of Italy though. There I was happily scrubbing away...and the hydro-electric power station upstream decided to release a surge of water. I managed to get out sharpish, but my wash kit was swept away. I washed in the loos of several petrol stations in Turkey and Greece. They were generally filthy places so I didn't feel too guilty getting a bit of soapy water on the floor.

Asking for discounts. I reckon there's a bit of psychology here. First of all, you're far more likely to get a cheaper deal if you're talking to the boss. Lower employees generally don't have the authority to do deals. But they would lose face if they went and asked the boss. So they just say "No".

I agree with Jamie's suggestion to ask not for a discount but for a cheaper room. But I might have an angle on why this works: Asking directly for a discount damages the hotelier's self-esteem if you beat his quoted price down. So he says "No". Rather than asking for a price reduction, ask instead for a cheaper room. "Oh, that's a bit pricey for me, is there a cheaper room, I don't mind if it's a bit cramped or anything?" is less threatening to the hotelier than a direct request for a discount. You'll usually end up with exactly the same room (you'll never know this of course) . But you'll pay less. And the hotelier saves face. Everybody wins.

Saving face seems to be more important to people in poorer regions. This makes sense. When you work a 12-hour shift for $10 and some wealthy (to you) foreigner comes in and arrogantly wants to shave something off the price that he can easily afford...well, it becomes more important to you to retain your dignity in such a situation.

I discovered the face-saving technique by accident (I asked for a "cheaper room" after failing to secure a discount on the original room). And the room I got was fine. The technique seemed to work for me in Albania and Croatia. And, now that I think about it, Egypt. Conversely, one hostel owner in Turkey almost begged me to start straightforward haggling. I didn't acquiesce, because I didn't like the room at any price. It's not really relevant, but I am pretty sure the room was actually his own room. But there are clearly some places where haggling is part of the culture.

SpitfireTriple screwed with this post 10-30-2008 at 08:02 AM
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #94
chuckklr04
Banned

Oddometer: 4,612
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404973

Thought you might want to check this out Jamie.

Still waiting to get laid off so I can head out. The company just landed a new contract. Might be enough to keep me there for a while.
chuckklr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #95
yosmitetom
Banned

Oddometer: 3,354
Airports, even tiny ones, aren't good in the U.S. anymore after 911. Cemeteries are good. Golf courses are good.
yosmitetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #96
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckklr04
Thought you might want to check this out Jamie.
Man, that's great. When you come through Memphis, give me heads up and I'll ride with you for a day or two.

I've never done a trip which funded itself, but I once met a guy traveling by bicycle who was not only traveling at the absolute minimum budget, but he was carrying enough equipment to take, print, and mount photographs onto small refrigerator magnets. He would set up a small display every couple days and earn enough to fund himself for a short time.

Wish I could pull that off, but I'm no sort of salesman.

Jamie

Old 12-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #97
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,844
Did you consider submitting it to a motorcycle magazine?

All you would have had to do was add some similes and metaphors, like the current crop of motojournalists use and you'd be famous. And rich.

"The hotel was cheaper than _________, and as dirty as ____________." Make them cool and funny and you've got it made.

Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #98
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
Make them cool and funny and you've got it made.
You don't know me very well.

Jamie

Old 12-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #99
inline4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
onboard cooker

On the TV, Food network, Feasting on Asphalt, Alton Brown stopped at a truck stop and bought a 12v cooker truckers hookup in the doghouse. He wired it to the BMW cycle and made meatloaf, rode on. It didn't cook, as it blew the fuse.
Annyhoo, has anyone tried one of these successfully?
12" L X 5" H X 5" approximate size.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #100
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline4
On the TV, Food network, Feasting on Asphalt, Alton Brown stopped at a truck stop and bought a 12v cooker truckers hookup in the doghouse. He wired it to the BMW cycle and made meatloaf, rode on. It didn't cook, as it blew the fuse.
Do you have a linky?

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #101
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline4

Another BMW electrical failure?

Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #102
inline4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
like these, wired to your moto

http://fortheroad.hcpus.com/index.ph...&products_id=8

http://www.ehttp://www.12vautotech.c...per-515-12645.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #103
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,387
190 watt start up...I'll pass.

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #104
Tappet
Feral

Oddometer: 1,451
Interesting thread.

Some of it blantantly obvious but a few nuggets here & there!

Thanks
Tappet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #105
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappet
Interesting thread.

Some of it blantantly obvious but a few nuggets here & there!
To paraphrase a common cliche: If it were obvious, everybody would already know it.

Jamie