Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
gorma900 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Making my Multistrada more "dirt worthy"

Hi, I'm a Noob and this is my first post here

I have a 2004 Multistrada 1000DS and went on my first dirt road riding experience last week with a friend (who rides a R1200GS Adv). I'm a fairly decent tarred road rider, but when it comes to loose surfaces I'm definately a noob there too. One thing is for sure though I really enjoyed it, except for one scare where the front took it's own path in loose sandy tracks. I would imagine this would be mostly due to the 17" front, but by letting air out of the tyres (rode on 1.6 bar), I must say it made the bike a lot more sure footed.

Seeing that my front tyre (Pirelli Scorpion Sync) 120/70x17 is about due for replacement I searched this forum and others for a more suitable offroad tyre and the Pirelli MT60 RS Corsa comes up everytime. Now, just before I run out and go guy that tyre, I took a few measurements and thought of maybe get a 19" rim for a wider choise of tyres...like I saw some Versys guys did. It would seem that a BMW R1100, 1150, 1200 GS rim would be a near bolt in mod. They take the exact same disk mountings (both having Brembo brakes), the distance between the disks differ with less than 2mm, which I would think the calipers would be able to take up and they use the exact same axle diameter (25mm). So apart from having to get a motard fender fitted and making up the spacers on the sides of the rim, it would be bolt it mod. That way I can keep my road biased tyre up front on the 17" rim when doing twisties and when I feel adventurous, the 19" wheel can go it with a suitable dirt tyre.

Is the anything obvious I may have overlooked and/or has someone perhaps done a 19" front wheel on a Multi and how much would it affect the handling?
gorma900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Rhino-1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorma900
... It would seem that a BMW R1100, 1150, 1200 GS rim would be a near bolt in mod. They take the exact same disk mountings (both having Brembo brakes), the distance between the disks differ with less than 2mm, which I would think the calipers would be able to take up and they use the exact same axle diameter (25mm). So apart from having to get a motard fender fitted and making up the spacers on the sides of the rim, it would be bolt it mod. That way I can keep my road biased tyre up front on the 17" rim when doing twisties and when I feel adventurous, the 19" wheel can go it with a suitable dirt tyre.

Is the anything obvious I may have overlooked and/or has someone perhaps done a 19" front wheel on a Multi and how much would it affect the handling?
Sounds like a good idea--but I would consider spacing the rotors (or shaving the hub) to make up the 2mm difference. 2mm might be too much for the calipers to take-up.

You might also want to consider an after-market, spoked 18 or 19" wheel in the rear...

Somewhere on here there was a nice picture of a "dirt-worth-ized" SV650. Yo might want to search for the post for some good ideas--and there are probably many other similar "conversions" on here...
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,615
Drop your tire pressure down to around 22 lbs when you hit the dirt.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Marvin_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny
Drop your tire pressure down to around 22 lbs when you hit the dirt.
+1 and/or get a dirt bike too. It will be loads of fun and it will improve your dirt skills so when you take the MS onto the dirt you'll be ready and comfy.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Multidesert
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Rhino-1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbirdrs
Multidesert
That looks great--but those cast wheels wouldn't last very long running the Baja courses... ;)
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,580
Since you want to turn it into a Beast, off to Beasts..
Old 09-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
1200B
Ride everywhere...

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Multidesert ...
got any details on the tires on the "multidesert"?

1200B screwed with this post 09-17-2010 at 05:51 PM
1200B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200B
got nay details on the tires on the "multidesert"?
Metzeler Karoo T

yellowbirdrs screwed with this post 09-17-2010 at 05:49 PM
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
1200B
Ride everywhere...

Oddometer: 282
I thought Metzeler Karoo's only went up to a 150 size? fitted a 150 on the multi rear wheel?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
gorma900 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Posted my first questions here and then got side tracked for a few days...not good. I'm back though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin8r
You might also want to consider an after-market, spoked 18 or 19" wheel in the rear...
Problem with this one is the Multistrada 1000 has a single sided swingarm in the back and the hub of the wheel is offset to the side, so getting a spoked wheel in at the back will be troublesome, but not impossible. I think I've seen some spoked wheels for a Hypermotard somewhere.

Quote:
got any details on the tires on the "multidesert"?
Quote:
Metzeler Karoo T
The front is Pirelli MT 60 RS Corsa tyres

Quote:
I thought Metzeler Karoo's only went up to a 150 size? fitted a 150 on the multi rear wheel?
From what I've seen this is what they do - not ideal fitting a 150 on a 5.5" rim. Guys who've done this say you can't go below 30psi (2 bar) on pressure with this setup otherwise the bead might come off.

Currently I have the standard 180 size Pirelli Scorpion Sync tyre on the back and it worked very well on my maiden gravel trip, specially with pressure at 23psi (1.6 bar). In future if I really get carried away with this, I was thinking of getting an extra Multistrada rear rim and have it narrowed by about 1.5" to 4" which is the same as the BMW GS's rear rim.

I've got some other Ducati's in the garage as well, so if I was considering something completely different than the Multistrada for dirt riding, I will need to stay true to the brand With this in mind I browsed this site for Cagiva Elefants and I must say, I'm just about hooked on that idea! I would think an Elefant with the 1000DS engine from the Multi would make the perfect adventure bike. Just a pity they are a bit scarce to find around here (South Africa).

Back to the possible 19" front wheel swop, does anyone have an idea of how much different the current handling would be with such a swop? I guess if nothing else is changed the steering would be a little slower with more stability, but I have rear ride height adjustability which can used the raise the rear. I've calculated that the rear will need to be raised by around 29mm to level the bike out again which would also assist with the not too great ground clearance it currently has.
gorma900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #12
warrimurf
n00b

Oddometer: 1
ducati wheels

Try this for some tough wheels for your Ducati.
The original wheels are soft as you know what.
Been looking but thinking I'll just get a KTM and be done with it.

http://international.specialthings.i...ti&h=oAQFONWdx.
warrimurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:48 AM   #13
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Strada Avventurosa

Take a look at Strada Avventurosa.

The guy who built this bike:

Has put just about all the bits into production and everybody says they are brilliant in design and execution.

He does not offer a wheel solution. But he seems pretty happy with what the bike can do on cast wheels and 17-inch tyres.

Site is here: http://www.strada-avventurosa.com/

BTW in case you can't see all the cool bits, they include sump guards, the pelican case system with easy-off mounts, the crash bars (which fold down so that you can still use the side pockets), a mount that puts dual driving lamps in front of the oil cooler, a high front mudguard mount, fork protectors and probably more.

No connection, just happy to spread the word, as it appears he has done a fantastic job.

Edit: even though people have done it, I think the Multistrada is seriously compromised for sand riding because the chassis geometry is designed for quick steering in slow turns through the mountains. It's pretty short on trail - the measurement that keeps the steering steady - and the way sand works with a tyre it eats up trail on any bike. If sand is where you want to play, there will be much better platforms to build up a bike from. IMO.

Moronic screwed with this post 03-06-2015 at 04:20 AM
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:17 AM   #14
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Take a look at Strada Avventurosa.
Is it also a time machine?
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #15