https://www.facebook.com/adventuredriven
sethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #137
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyben
not really needed, the tank and the H&B crash bar protects the rest of the engine very well

--
flyben
last test : two weeks ago .. last crash test
I could see a point in protecting the rear brake master cylinder from flying rocks which the Crash bars wouldn't do.

Like the stock plate has that "ear" sticking out on that side.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #138
motomikedh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
All good ideas so far everyone. I plan on the 'ears' on the side for some protection, vented of course, and I have an idea for the possibility of access to the oil filter. I'll keep you all posted after the design process. Thanks again. More to come soon.
motomikedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #139
MC-Leather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyben
not really needed, the tank and the H&B crash bar protects the rest of the engine very well

--
flyben
last test : two weeks ago .. last crash test
For the riding I do I want the protection againts sticks, bouncing rocks or something I might slide into in case of a crash.
A bunch of Hondas and random other bikes.
MC-Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #140
Lamin Sambou
Lamin

Oddometer: 95
Cagiva Elefant rear suspension linkage pin removal tool (also applies to Gran Canyon)

Hi All,

I searched everywhere for answers on this, with mixed results.

so for anyone else who's greasing their linkages or replacing bearings here's what I did.

on some elefants (and Gran Canyons) this seems to be almost impossible to get undone.

this is what the pin looks lke

my tool

this was about version 4 of the tool, the rest kept on breaking. I had used heat with no success and with breaker bars it seemed I couldn't keep the force square.

I then filled the bottom of the frame with WD40 and let it soak through the thread over a couple of weeks.

I then got this of ebay for 31. 588NM at the touch of a button:-

my tool was made out of a 14mm 3/8 deep socket. O/D 20mm.
I cut the hex end off, then used a hand file, then drilled 12mm through the 3/8 square and welded an M12 nut on the end.

and this is so you don't have to guess how big the 'tits' need to be

rememer - if your 'tits' are too long they will snap off.....
Lamin Sambou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #141
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamin Sambou
rememer - if your 'tits' are too long they will snap off.....
Yes, I hate when that happens. Painful.

Good job on the tool. I'm sure you'll be getting some requests to loan or rent it out.
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:30 AM   #142
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

too bad you are in the UK, could have been part of the ADV tool pool.

nice work.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #143
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

leaks...

I have a leak on that very small screw right next to the spark plug on the rear cylinder. I can move the screw but until I know how to fix it I don't want to take it out. So what's the common way of fixing that leak ? no oring in there ?
Can't find anything on the parts manual.

And can I replace it with an other type of screw which is not flat head ?

thx
christian
Old 08-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #144
Pangeist
Autodidact Polymath

Oddometer: 165
Wicked Hope this is okay.....

I have the stock rear rack off my 95 Elefant on ebay if anybody is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150280915048

Will also be putting up a stock exhaust in really nice shape if anybody is interested let me know and I can just forgety the whole ebay thing.

Pangeist screwed with this post 08-10-2008 at 01:51 PM
Pangeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #145
scrumpdilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Can anyone help with this question? I was wondering if it is a good idea to run the new cam timing sprockets on the older Pantah engine so we could run the late model timing belts. I have heard that the tooth profile is the only difference with a notched tooth belt vs a rounded tooth belt. I was thinking the supply of belts would be better now and in the future choosing a pair of belts from say a 750 Monster to put on my 85 Elefant instead of the stock belts. Aren't the newer belts cheaper and more strong? On the other hand I have read that the aluminum sprockets on my 500 SL are extremely light (25 grams???) compared to the newer steel ones. Wouldn't the lighter sprockets mean a quicker revving engine? What are the thoughts pro and con if in fact this is possible to do? If I don't decide to run the newer belts and sprockets I would probably go ahead and put the lighter sprockets on there for improved performance. Thanks, Roy
scrumpdilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #146
KongE900
Desmo Heart

Oddometer: 2
Everithing is possible, but for me original is better
KongE900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #147
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumpdilly
I was thinking the supply of belts would be better now and in the future choosing a pair of belts from say a 750 Monster to put on my 85 Elefant instead of the stock belts.
I bought belts for both my '87 650 and '94 900. Yes, it seems the only difference was the tooth profile. OTOH: I think the cost for both sets of belts was virtually the same. They both had the same Ducati wrapping, etc. I don't think there was any age difference between them. In other words, they were both brand new belts (not old stock). I wouldn't waste the time unless I had the pulleys on the shelf.

Unless somebody comes up with a better reason.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #148
MySUV
VTer

Oddometer: 87
1995 Elefant Oil Leak (flood...)

There is a major oil leak that appears to be coming from the back cylinder where the part with the black fins meets the part with the silver fins. I've inspected all around the seam, and it seems that it is just exiting from the rear of cylider. I pulled the belt cover, and nothing geting out in that area. The leak was so bad after some high speed highway miles that oil was pooling on top of the case.

Because of the Cagiva "mega" frame on this bike, it's not easy to just pull the cylider apart to check things. Any suggestions or known issues in this area?

Thanks for any help!
MySUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #149
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySUV
There is a major oil leak that appears to be coming from the back cylinder where the part with the black fins meets the part with the silver fins. I've inspected all around the seam, and it seems that it is just exiting from the rear of cylider. I pulled the belt cover, and nothing geting out in that area. The leak was so bad after some high speed highway miles that oil was pooling on top of the case.

Because of the Cagiva "mega" frame on this bike, it's not easy to just pull the cylider apart to check things. Any suggestions or known issues in this area?

Thanks for any help!
I have a similar problem, and it's coming from the little screw right next to the spark plug, you won't believe how much oil is coming out of it, mainly parked on the side stand, it will leave a little pool of oil under the bike, and on the wheel stand, bike straight, it will leave oil on the case next to the base of the cylinder.

took me a while and a few washes to figure out where it was coming from.

I still need to fix it, and not sure how to do it. The Screw (flat head) is moving I have yet to take it out. and I want to replace it with an hex screw and some sealant I guess.

If anyone has suggestions,

thx
Old 08-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #150
Lamin Sambou
Lamin

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
I have a similar problem, and it's coming from the little screw right next to the spark plug, you won't believe how much oil is coming out of it, mainly parked on the side stand, it will leave a little pool of oil under the bike, and on the wheel stand, bike straight, it will leave oil on the case next to the base of the cylinder.

took me a while and a few washes to figure out where it was coming from.

I still need to fix it, and not sure how to do it. The Screw (flat head) is moving I have yet to take it out. and I want to replace it with an hex screw and some sealant I guess.

If anyone has suggestions,

thx
monster owner forums could probably answer your questions regarding any issues with the engine. have fun. at least it doesn't look like this

Lamin Sambou is offline   Reply With Quote