Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #391
mbgta1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I am a new owner of a 1994 e900 and I AGREE with you guys this bikes are alot of fun !!!
mbgta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #392
Easy R
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Update on my bike. I found a company in Swansea that make cables www.speedycables.com Just send your old one to them and they will make you a new one for £18 .
With regard to the regulator I have ordered a new one from Dumbo Labs at a cost of £140, but whilst I had some free time last week took fairing off and went through all connections, taking them apart reconnecting and spraying them and hey presto, a charge is now going to the battery. So it looks like I will have a spare regulator.

Easy R screwed with this post 12-23-2009 at 09:43 AM
Easy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:50 AM   #393
Parkie
Have bike, will travel

Oddometer: 17
Eh? Wots the issue with connecting the white wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by «dmx_must_fly»
I installed the electrex reg that I bought from DDL and its working for the past year or so with no problems. just don't connect the white wire!!
Wots the issue with connecting the white wire from the Electrex regulator?

I put one on Ellie yesterday and needed to run the whie wire to the battery positive for the bike to run.

You've got me worried now....

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/richardandlisa/

http://www.youtube.com/richparkie
280000 kms on the clock then time for replacement.
Tried abusing an Elefant but now TDM is reborn
Parkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #394
«dmx_must_fly»
Elefant Rider

Oddometer: 149
thats strange
just check the battery to see if the reg does not draw current from it all the time
when the white wire was connected the reg emptied my battery after one night
you should have 2 yellow wires that connect to the generator
black or green that goes to the neg pole of the battery
and a red one that connect to the positive pole
Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #395
Parkie
Have bike, will travel

Eh?

Quote:
thats strange
just check the battery to see if the reg does not draw current from it all the time
when the white wire was connected the reg emptied my battery after one night
you should have 2 yellow wires that connect to the generator
black or green that goes to the neg pole of the battery
and a red one that connect to the positive pole
Yep - white wire to the battery drained the battery - need to rewire tonight

What did you do with your white wire? - the bike won't run without it connected.

I tried (admittedly loosly) connecting to same wire that the previous regulators white wire connected to (a 2 wire connector with a white & a black wire) but I didn't get any life out of bike.

Will try connecting proprerly as above & cross my fingers

Old 01-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #396
«dmx_must_fly»
Elefant Rider

I left the white wire unconnected and the bike and reg. run fine
the original connector is running through the coils so you have one wire there that comes from the key switch- through the coils- to the oem reg
the electric diagram shows that this wire is the gray and red and the gray wire goes to the fool light on the dash
so try and connect the white wire to either one of those wires and see how it goes.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #397
Parkie
Have bike, will travel

Eh?

Quote:
I left the white wire unconnected and the bike and reg. run fine
the original connector is running through the coils so you have one wire there that comes from the key switch- through the coils- to the oem reg
the electric diagram shows that this wire is the gray and red and the gray wire goes to the fool light on the dash
so try and connect the white wire to either one of those wires and see how it goes.
Had another chance to look at my electrics, before I read your info above, and the Fant is now a runner...

However, hooked up white wire to wire that was connected to white from old reg - no life from the electrics. Bugger, I thought... then hooked up old positive battery strap (original battery leads disconnected when I installed DDL starter upgrade) & all working !

Looks like I should have left original battery straps hooked up as well as new leads for starter circuit. I imagine this maybe how I've fried the reg.

One issue - battery light on dimly at idle..a few more revs & battery light goes out. This is very disconcerting....has me wondering where the current drain is & what I'm about to fry...

Has me scratching my head a bit...time to buy a multimeter...

Parkie screwed with this post 01-19-2010 at 05:56 PM
Old 01-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #398
«dmx_must_fly»
Elefant Rider

install a voltmeter
its the only way to know for sure
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30464019@N04/3306628319/
Old 01-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #399
rockjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Anyone got a seat for a 94 900e

Free Your Mind...And Your Ass Will Follow
rockjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #400
Johnny Bouncewell
Surly

Oddometer: 161
This wasn't working in the Beasts section....

I had this posted in the beasts section for a few days and received a total of...zero replies. Perhaps those with larger ears may be of assistance here.

So I'm tentatively trying to plan out a trip to Utah with my 12 year old nephew and am on a serious budget. I usually dont have a kid strapped to my back and travel stupid light...as in I took a Monster from Chicago to Phoenix via Seattle...in 6 days. That said, I've gotta line on an old Cagiva Elefant 650 that I'm considering for the trip. I actually owned it for 500 miles and really enjoyed riding it. As much as I'd love to plop 7k on a 950 Adventure, it's just not going to happen.

The trip would consist of alot of backroads getting outta the midwest and then some light offroad when we got into Colorado and Utah. Nothing too stupid, I just want to show an impressionable mind that there is cooler things in the world than video games and choppers. Once in the west we'd be camping in minimalist style...super small stove, one pot and light sleeping bags. Problem is, the 500 miles I put on that bike, I never had anyone on the back and rarely had it to highway speeds. Five years ago was a lot of beer ago and I cant recall the bike too much. I do remember that it made a good amount of power and was beast to pick up when dropped. Even with those nuggets of memory, I certainly never had bags or weight on the bike so I don't remember if it turns into a wet noodle when loaded up.

I probably should note, I was a Ducati mechanic so I'm not afraid of the mechanicals of the bike. Its in good order so anything that comes up can easily be sorted by the summer minus first gear which has missing a tooth but functions fine. It just clicks everytime it registers with another gear. Annoying but since it is part of the main countershaft, a replacement requires a total tear down and the part is impossible to find. I'm pretty sure I heard chuckles in the background when I called ducati to see if they had one.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #401
Willis24
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Sorry, but there may have not been any replies, since there is no real question formed. What exactly is that you are wanting to know?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #402
Johnny Bouncewell
Surly

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis24
Sorry, but there may have not been any replies, since there is no real question formed. What exactly is that you are wanting to know?

Perhaps that was a rather nebulous rant. Pairing down my nonsensical rambling, I am asking if a E650 would be an acceptable adv touring mount for 2up use.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #403
skuikka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I'm trying to find a cheaper replacement for my SE, and I have a Cagiva elefant 900 GT ie as an option. I'm planing to replace the rare stock plastics with something lighter and more crash-resistant. I'm curious, how much do these things really weigh and how much weight there is to lose?
Also I've read that the GT:s stock Öhlins might be restricted with a spacer to shorten the travel, is this true?
The last question is a bit childish, but after the SE somehow understandable, do these things wheelie of the throttle? First, or possibly even second gear?
I know, test drive gives the best info, but we have currently more than half a meter of snow.
skuikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #404
Wyvern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,362
Hello folks

any info on a high mount front fender (MX style) and the bracket needed to be made for an Elefant (94 - 900)
It looks like i can make a "box" about 4 x 4 x 2.
Mount to the lower triple and mount the fender to that... be interested to see what you guys have done .

thanks
Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #405
Parkie
Have bike, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern
Hello folks

any info on a high mount front fender (MX style) and the bracket needed to be made for an Elefant (94 - 900)
It looks like i can make a "box" about 4 x 4 x 2.
Mount to the lower triple and mount the fender to that... be interested to see what you guys have done .

thanks
No new mount required - the lower triple clamp already has threaded mounting holes so just bolt the high guard stright to the triple clamp.