Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #451
ptr
Elefant-Tamer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by *thomas* View Post
Hi fantuzzi,

Where can I find more about this modification please?
@*thomas*: perhaps you want to get in direct touch with klaus, who created the diagramm, at http://www.einfach-losfahren.de/. hes offering still other modifications and updates for the elefant. have a look.

cheers
ptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #452
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,135
new air filter for elefant

As i was getting my elefant ready for a trip I found an air filter that is cheap and fits better than the guzzi one. It is for a 2009 nissan cube(or versa), or napa 9225. Fits better than the stock one too, and should have good filtration as it is a sort of oiled paper (red in color). It was around $9.00.

The steering head bearings are also available from your local napa as well timken L44600-LA. Dont forget to get the race, timken L44610. If you are in a pinch you can get the steering head bearings from a harley big twin but there is no seal. All balls has the steering head bearings too I cant find the number in my notes. If you call them they can help.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com

azcagiva screwed with this post 04-05-2011 at 02:05 PM
azcagiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #453
CagivaKidKurt
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Cagiva 650 1985

I got a 1985 cagiva 650 for christmas this year little did i know my dad bought it as a huge restoration for me Im only 14 but right now i ride a 2008 husqvarna 510 (big bore riding runs in my family) but i wanted something more beffy like a xr 650 but i got a cagiva.

A few things im doing to it is cutting the air intakes that go into the frame and putting both carburetors sideways with two K&N air filers and getting rid of the air box.

Then Im going to have two independent pipes instead of a 2 into 1 pipe which will give a a better top end.

Also im going to take the suspension mount and the two other mounts and reinforce them with titanium because if you ride alot of dirt with this bike id recomend it because they break and your screwed.

/Users/kurtackerman/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Dec 25, 2010_7/P1010860.JPG
/Users/kurtackerman/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Dec 25, 2010_2/P1010855.JPG
CagivaKidKurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #454
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
bottom coils

anyone need the pick/up coils in the engine?i have a set.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #455
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Just wanted to add that I finally figured out the rake is 28.3 deg. I have looked for years and found it in an Italian magazine article. Turns out my bike was a little high in the front 1/2". Now all I need to do is get my rear shock working correctly.

-John

Old 06-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #456
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by CagivaKidKurt View Post
I got a 1985 cagiva 650 for christmas this year little did i know my dad bought it as a huge restoration for me Im only 14 but right now i ride a 2008 husqvarna 510 (big bore riding runs in my family) but i wanted something more beffy like a xr 650 but i got a cagiva.

A few things im doing to it is cutting the air intakes that go into the frame and putting both carburetors sideways with two K&N air filers and getting rid of the air box.

Then Im going to have two independent pipes instead of a 2 into 1 pipe which will give a a better top end.

Also im going to take the suspension mount and the two other mounts and reinforce them with titanium because if you ride alot of dirt with this bike id recomend it because they break and your screwed.
Just. Sell. It.

Unless you have access to a complete machine shop and fabrication facility there is no way in hell you'll ever do ANY of the things you just mentioned. Man, I hate to sound like I'm talking down to you. I remember being your age. You will never finish this project the way you described.

If you just leave that thing alone, you'll have a hard enough time keeping it running. Start modifying it and it will just be a bunch of parts on Ebay in two years.

Also: I don't know where you got the idea that the suspension is weak. That basic bike (including the rear suspension) was raced in the Dakar. There's 9" of travel in that rear suspension if somebody rebuilds the Ohlins and removes the top-out spacer.

I rode mine 200 miles to the Bristlecone Pine National Monument, 30 miles of dirt up to the summit, took a narrow jeep trail on the exit, through a bunch of river beds and narrow canyons, back out the highway, then back home in a single day: 450 miles. It's an awesome motorcycle if you use it for what it's designed to be.

Do you have any pictures to share? What color is it? Does it still run?

Mine:

Old 06-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #457
decafe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
carbs leaking

bike was sitting and fuel leaked and ended up in the motor i dumped all the oil / fuel changed oil filter now notice fuel leaking out of the carb i guess its time to rebuild carbs has anyone done this recencently and can advise on locating parts and any do's and do not's bike is a 1987 650 elephant stock del oreto carbs ibelieve 40mm
decafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #458
bwallca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafe View Post
bike was sitting and fuel leaked and ended up in the motor i dumped all the oil / fuel changed oil filter now notice fuel leaking out of the carb i guess its time to rebuild carbs has anyone done this recencently and can advise on locating parts and any do's and do not's bike is a 1987 650 elephant stock del oreto carbs ibelieve 40mm
Join the elefant list at http://groups.google.com/group/elefa...urebikes?hl=en. You'll get more info there.
Ben
bwallca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #459
Bevelhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Shock and carbs.

Hi
There's no mention of the schrader valve my '95 E900 AC's stock Boge shock. Can air be added there for preload or should you only mess with the spring adjustment? If so what pressures are we looking at ? Mine is sagging enough with a passenger to let the tire rub the inside of the catalytic converter. Yucky rubber smell. The cat's going away though. A D&D can is on its way.

Also the bike is cackling but only off throttle. Common
with band motors? I've only owned bevels previously and they do it a bit. If not where should I start looking in the process of
elimination? I'll probably wait until the new can is on before looking at the carbs.

BTW any other Kansas or NW Oklahoma 'fant owners out there?

Thanks!
Dave in SC Kansas
Bevelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #460
Bevelhead
Adventurer

I figured out the suspension. The shock valve is for nitrogen. Spring adjustment only for preload. The cackling was caused by a previous owner or their mechanic putting the ehxaust collar half rings in backwards. D&D can is on and so far no re-jetting required. Plugs look good and the bike runs and sounds outstanding. Sounds kind of like a Darmah that missed one too many anger management classes. Now for wiring upgrades. Can't wait to hit the mountains with this thing.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #461
Bevelhead
Adventurer

Fuel pump diaphragm?

I had a slight fuel smell on my '95 AC. I found the line from the
pump to the carbs was replaced (with clear line) but not clamped. It was
leaking a little. I fixed that but I still had the smell. I then noticed the line has air bubbles in it while running. I can't find any fuel leaking anywhere.
Just the bubbles in the fuel line from the pump to the carbs. Am I
correct in suspecting the fuel pump diaphragm or should I look
elsewhere? If it is the pump will a '95 900 Monster pump fit?
Thanks!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #462
Samruay
ADV for ADV sake

Oddometer: 109
Claudio Castiglioni has left us today ...

Claudio Castiglioni, 64 years old and President of MV Agusta Motor S.p.A. passed away this morning in Varese, Italy after a courageous battle against an illness.

The man who personally elevated the Italian motorcycle industry to its current role as world leader and the businessman who excelled with MV Agusta, Cagiva, Ducati and Husqvarna brands has left us...

details are available in many languages on Web

I personally believe that carrying on driving his fantastics bikes is the best tribute from us to Claudio

SAM
Samruay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #463
GeeMan
KB Rider

Oddometer: 5
K+N's that fit FCRs on E900 w/o airbox

Fitting the old rubber intake tubes from airbox to FCRs has become a major hassle. Has anyone come up with a K+N fitting that lets their filters reside comfortably in the space formerly occupied by the airbox? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Geeman
GeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #464
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeMan View Post
Fitting the old rubber intake tubes from airbox to FCRs has become a major hassle. Has anyone come up with a K+N fitting that lets their filters reside comfortably in the space formerly occupied by the airbox? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Geeman
I would try sudco they should have exactly what you are looking for.

-John

Old 08-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #465
Bevelhead
Adventurer

HIR Headlamps (No. Not HID)

Has anyone tried the IPF X4 4X41 Super low beam bulbs? They are a halogen infrared reflecting (HIR) design. They get more light out of the same wattage by using a spherical envelope with an infrared reflective coating on the inside. It focuses the IR back to the filament to make it burn hotter (therefore brighter) than a standard halogen. Toshiba and Philips make them in a 9011/9012 which can be modified to work in a 9005/9006 socket. I have them in my Land Cruiser and they are WAY brighter than stock. And if you get the clear version the light isn't so blue like HID.

IPF does warn not to use in an plastic housing I'm sure because of the extra heat. That's my only concern.

I just installed the Motolectric starter and headlight upgrade (Thanks Michael!) which made a huge improvement. The HIR's may be overkill now but one can never have too much light, especially if it doesn't cost any more watts.

So. Does anybody have old headlamps and wanna be a guinea pig and see if they melt the housings?

Here's a link to HIR technology:
http://hirheadlights.com/
Here's the IPF page:
http://www.ipf.co.jp/English1/2008en...og/X4_Eng.html