User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #556
falcn
Squidless Soul

Oddometer: 242
Elefant 900 - Shindengen FH020AA regulator install

The stock charging system on all of the mid 90's Ducs was horrible.

The 1994 E900 I just acquired this winter being no exception I knew I would be replacing the stock style regulator with a Shindengen MOSFET based model.

I chose the FH020AA (one that is actually on the new MTS1200's) from www.motoelectrix.com - it came with the OEM connectors for the regulator in the kit - very nice.

Charging at cold idle prior to the install: none, 12.8V to 13.0 V many times after the bike was warm and at idle the charge light would come on, even though the voltmeter showed 13.0+ volts (some say a sign the regulator is on the way out).

The stator checked ok and the wires were still supple.

I wired the FH020AA directly to the battery through the Maxi-fuse for the + side and direct to the battery for the rectifier ground.

The OEM style regulator was connected to the starter relay cable from the battery, but at the starter relay - the rectifier wire gauge was probably 16 or 18! It also had a corroded ring terminal. The ground wire from the OEM style regulator was attached to the mounting bracket bolt. The bracket stub is painted and welded to the frame - not the best ground path back to the battery. I might have been able to wire the OEM style regulator direct to the battery too, but it is a shunt based rectifier and I wanted the modern MOSFET based rectifier on the bike. The FH020AA will shut off it it overheats and resume when cool enough. That probably will never happen as it runs cooler than the shunt based regulators.

Here is the install - mounts on the same plate as original - just had to add a washer behind the left bolt as it went through an existing unthreaded hole.

The wires are 10 gauge running to the battery.

Here is the charging performance at 1000 rpm cold idle:

When warm she idles at 1500 typically, and when I held 1500 I had 14.5 Volts showing on the Voltmeter.

The only con, the charge light on the dash is non-functional after this, but no big deal, I have a voltmeter installed in the dash.

falcn screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 01:11 PM
falcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #557
falcn
Squidless Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangoman View Post
Total pain in the ass but here it is. H&Bs arent supplied with English instructions. I used an online German translator to decipher the instruction and got a trojan and ended up junking the computer cuz it never did work right again... Anyway

Bottom right mount. I had to turn down the supplied spacer to 1 1/16inch so that the mounting arm would clear the exhaust yet not interfere with the passenger footpeg mount. I do believe I had to purchase a bolt of correct length to make the 1 1/16inch spacer work.

Note the passenger foot rest mount,, use suppied spacers to bump it outward to clear the lower mounting arm.

Rearward mount.

Notching the side panels is necessary to mount the forward upper mount.

Bending and tweaking the upper mounts were necessary to make them fit.

Left side, lower. Sorry a little blurry, but you can see the chrome spacer is used between the lower mounting arm and the chain roller guide.

Rearward upper mounts to the back of the exising helmet lock tab. I need to purchase a longer bolt for this to work.

Forward upper mount, the side panel had to be notched and I had to straighten the factory bend in the mount and rebend it to make it reach the frame mounting hole.

Really took quite a bit to get this side to fit correctly.

Another Elefant rider posted where he used an all-thread to connect the two forward upper mounts and pull them together. This modification is on my to do list. The all thread would go under the seat, here--under the upper frame, between the electrical connector and the battery strap.

End result.

Thanks for posting this!!

I got the right side mostly installed today. Cant get the rear mount behind the Staintune to line up tight, had to use a spacers - probably going to have to bend the U piece to get it to fit. It is nice and level though. I left off my bent passenger peg - maybe I will refit if I get a straight one (came this way from PO).

Next up - the left side!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #558
Wyvern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
I had My 94 on the market ... didn't sell and I am not going to take some crazy low offer for it .
SO ... I really do love the bike and will now strip and rebuild as a "Lucky Strike" Dakar replica .
I have found some info but if any of you know of additional info resource any links, PMs, info, would be appreciated
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #559
falcn
Squidless Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
I had My 94 on the market ... didn't sell and I am not going to take some crazy low offer for it .
SO ... I really do love the bike and will now strip and rebuild as a "Lucky Strike" Dakar replica .
I have found some info but if any of you know of additional info resource any links, PMs, info, would be appreciated
I take it you know about www.elefantadventurebikes.com?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #560
falcn
Squidless Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcn View Post
Thanks for posting this!!

I got the right side mostly installed today. Cant get the rear mount behind the Staintune to line up tight, had to use a spacers - probably going to have to bend the U piece to get it to fit. It is nice and level though. I left off my bent passenger peg - maybe I will refit if I get a straight one (came this way from PO).

Next up - the left side!
Welllll....

Now I know what you meant about the left side bracket...that arms bend goes way too high to let the seat fit. :/

Don't know if I want to bend the crap out of it myself or cut it off and weld it back better.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #561
Wyvern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcn View Post
I take it you know about www.elefantadventurebikes.com?
Yes ... thanks . and that is exactly what I am after . links , sources , photos etc.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #562
falcn
Squidless Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
Yes ... thanks . and that is exactly what I am after . links , sources , photos etc.
Member of the Google Group? Facebook Cagiva Elefant Group?

the FB group has lots of photos
Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #563
falcn
Squidless Soul

I take it you have seen Gavins pages as well?

He's stuffed everything into the Elefant frame engine-wise.

http://www.companytroubleshooters.co...4888/index.php
Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #564
Bevelhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
If any of you have installed a DDL starter upgrade here's a tip. Leave the old battery to starter relay wire in place. It goes from the battery to within a few inches of the voltage regulator. I soldered a ring terminal to the regulator output/sensor wires, bolted it up and insulated it. Add a 30A 10 gauge fuse holder at the battery end and you're done. You now have super heavy wire from RR to battery ending all charging/melting problems.

If you've done the headlamp upgrade as well then the only thing going through your OEM harness are the small bulbs, horn, and ignition, which even Italian wire should be able to handle.

Since the connection was right there at the fairing I tapped into it with a fused marine 12V outlet as well.

Bevelhead screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 01:12 PM
Bevelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #565
kev b
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumbs down Elefant looking for new home

Last year,or was it the year before, I acquired a blue E750 which had been stood and would not start. It only had 16000 Km on the clock and looked pretty smart so I thought it would be worth the effort to get it going.

To make a long story short, the carbs were gunged up with old fuel but the previous owner had stripped everything off so I cleaned everything up and soon had it going. The problem seemed to be that after being stood, the fuel pump did not have enough strength to prime the float bowls if the tank was low on petrol.

Encouraged, I fitted new belts, for seals/oil/battery, set the valves, stripped the brakes and gave it a good checkover and clean. Then I let it sit all winter because I did not know what to do with it, I really wanted to use it myself but never found the time.

I will echo what other owners have written and say how good the Elefant feels to ride and how surprisingly well built it seems.

However I have to admit to myself that I will never find the time to use it as none of my family will ride pillion and I get precious little use from my Mille anyway.

So it looks as though there will soon be another Elefant on Ebay UK

kev b screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 11:31 PM
kev b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #566
stanbloke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
elefant

Kev,

if you are selling your fant can you call me 1st. looking for a project.

regards

stan.

if i dont answer just leave a txt ( prob in work at the time)
Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #567
stanbloke
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Guys,

Anyone know if a 750SS engine will drop into the Fant frame ok ?.

Will the Fant electrics be ok with this engine too ?.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #568
ceevu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
what year fant and what year ss? I put 98(last carbed)900 ss engine in my 87 750 fant,and it took some grinding from three rear attachment points+ two bushings(in place of needle bearings for swing arm in ss). electrics had same plugs...Thats all.Rear head doesnt have too much room but it fits anyway. So no drop in swap,but pretty much doable anyway.To my knowledge all elefant engines are slimmer at back than their duck cousins.
ceevu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #569
ptr
Elefant-Tamer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceevu View Post
what year fant and what year ss? I put 98(last carbed)900 ss engine in my 87 750 fant,and it took some grinding from three rear attachment points+ two bushings(in place of needle bearings for swing arm in ss). electrics had same plugs...Thats all.Rear head doesnt have too much room but it fits anyway. So no drop in swap,but pretty much doable anyway.To my knowledge all elefant engines are slimmer at back than their duck cousins.
hi ceevu

correct question and answer. However, the two bushings are not needed, because the construction provides sufficient stability by the additional forward engine mounting.

implementation of an ss-engine in the newer frames (1990+) requires only the grinding at the middle attachment (and also removal of the bearings).

in both cases: grinding should be done at both sides of the case to ensure the correct chain-line.

best

No ABS. No CAT. No INJECTION. Certainly not 4CYL nor 16V.
just FUN
ptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #570
stanbloke
Gnarly Adventurer

It is a "98" SS engine and a "96" Fant frame.

Should be ok and thank you for the replies fellas.