Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #106
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirl
Longmont. And I now have an Elefant that wants to go for a ride in the mountains... Durango is pretty
Let's see some pics!
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
'01 Aprilia Fuono
'94 Miata CSP
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #107
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallzboater
Let's see some pics!
She's enroute bringing it back from St. Louis.

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #108
flygirl
n00bius maximus

Oddometer: 517
Stampy the Elefant is home!

Love this bike!

I'll post the trip report over in the Elefant Sightings thread.

flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 AM   #109
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Throttle lock, Belts?

I need a cheap throttle lock like a Vista Cruise for long slab sections on my Elefant. What brand/model is an easy fit?

I also need a set of belts. What's a good source? OEM, Bucci, other?
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
'01 Aprilia Fuono
'94 Miata CSP
Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #110
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
I need a cheap throttle lock like a Vista Cruise for long slab sections on my Elefant. What brand/model is an easy fit?

I also need a set of belts. What's a good source? OEM, Bucci, other?
I have the Vista Cruise on mine, works great..
Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #111
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangoman
I have the Vista Cruise on mine, works great..
which one ? they have different model ? the universal ?
maybe a quick picture of that ? thanks
Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 AM   #112
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian
which one ? they have different model ? the universal ?
maybe a quick picture of that ? thanks
I am in an airport and wont be home til the end of the week. I will get a pic posted then.

Looks to be this one.
Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #113
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Elefant Battery?

From an earlier search I had noted that either a YB16-B or YTX20L-BS battery could be used in my e900. I need to order one in the next week to go in a bike I'm picking up (3,000 miles away!).

I had good luck with BatteryMart.com for my other bike. If I search for Cagiva e900 I get this:
BM Part #: MAR-YTX16-BS-1
Voltage: 12 Volt
Capacity: 14 Ah @10 hr rate
CCA: 240
Length: 6"
Width: 3 7/16"
Height: 6 3/8"

If I search for YTX20L-BS I get this:
BM Part #: BIG-ETX20L
Voltage: 12 V
Capacity: 17.5 Ah @10 hr rate
CCA: 270
Length: 6 7/8"
Width: 3 7/16"
Height: 6 1/8"

Both are AGM and nearly the same price. Certainly the ETX20L has better specs, but will the extra 7/8" length (I would call it width) allow it to fit in the tray? I'm also not sure how to tell if the posts are going to be compatible. I need to make sure it's pretty well plug-and-play. If not, any other AGM battery recommendations? TIA.
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
'01 Aprilia Fuono
'94 Miata CSP
Old 07-29-2008, 11:13 PM   #114
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,313
Quote:
From an earlier search I had noted that either a YB16-B or YTX20L-BS battery could be used in my e900. I need to order one in the next week to go in a bike I'm picking up (3,000 miles away!).
Don't waste your money. Get the Odyessy battery. Better specs yet and longer life.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #115
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS
Don't waste your money on the Odyessy battery. Misleading specs and fails without notice.
Fixed to reflect my experience. POS Odyssey failed...totally...shorted...without warning. The bike wouldn't even run with it connected (internal short). I had to disconnect it and jump start the bike to get back to the road (stranded me 4 miles from the road, in the Mojave desert). OK, things fail, right? Then they wouldn't warrant it even though it was 18 months into their 24 month warranty. Eat my shorts, Odyssey.

I've got a WestCo battery in mine (sealed). I can't find a model number anywhere on it. By the dimensions, it seems to be the 12V20L or 12V20. You might contact them to find out which one they recommend. It's right up to the bottom of the seat and just fits between the frame rails. I don't know what the stock battery installation looks like. Mine is held down with a nylon strap.

http://www.westcobattery.com/battery_info.html

If you want to go this route, let me know and I'll actually unscrew the terminals and lift it out to see if I can find any markings anywhere else.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #116
RonS
Out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
Fixed to reflect my experience. POS Odyssey failed...totally...shorted...without warning. The bike wouldn't even run with it connected (internal short). I had to disconnect it and jump start the bike to get back to the road (stranded me 4 miles from the road, in the Mojave desert). OK, things fail, right? Then they wouldn't warrant it even though it was 18 months into their 24 month warranty. Eat my shorts, Odyssey.
Very strange. I've been putting the Odyssey's in all my bikes for a while now. Could the voltage regulator have cooked it?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #117
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Very strange. I've been putting the Odyssey's in all my bikes for a while now. Could the voltage regulator have cooked it?
Nope. The voltage was totally normal and started the bike just fine, only 4 miles before the failure. It was the combination of the failure and the way Odyssey ignored me that caused my opinion. Try to find an exchange center for actually getting warranty service.

The west coast distributor wouldn't honor the battery because it was purchased mail order (excuusse me, but I'm not driving a hundred miles to buy a battery). They wouldn't even let me mail the battery back to the factory. In fact, I still have it sitting here, hoping that someday, I can get in touch with a human that works for them and maybe (just maybe) get some warranty relief.

And as an engineer, I would have thought that they would have wanted this battery back so they could figure out what the heck happened to it. I'm curious enough that I'm tempted to cut it open.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #118
RonS
Out there...

Quote:
Nope. The voltage was totally normal and started the bike just fine, only 4 miles before the failure. It was the combination of the failure and the way Odyssey ignored me that caused my opinion. Try to find an exchange center for actually getting warranty service.

The west coast distributor wouldn't honor the battery because it was purchased mail order (excuusse me, but I'm not driving a hundred miles to buy a battery). They wouldn't even let me mail the battery back to the factory. In fact, I still have it sitting here, hoping that someday, I can get in touch with a human that works for them and maybe (just maybe) get some warranty relief.

And as an engineer, I would have thought that they would have wanted this battery back so they could figure out what the heck happened to it. I'm curious enough that I'm tempted to cut it open.
That's good to know. We'll have to keep an eye out to see if others are running into the same problem. Odyssey is manfactured by EnerSys. On the EnerSys website they have a company brochure that lists their global head quarters phone number somewhere in Penn state. I'd give them a call and tell them of the problems you've had. It may help and it may help the rest of us down the road as well. If they stonewall you, read them the riot act and let the rest of us know.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #119
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Odyssey is manfactured by EnerSys. On the EnerSys website they have a company brochure that lists their global head quarters phone number somewhere in Penn state.
BTDT. I tried to find a phone number but came up dry. I emailed them and got passed off to West Coast Battery here in California (which happens to be my local distributor--yes http://www.odysseybatteries.com/ is my nearest distributor). Their opinion was the final word--ie: you didn't buy it from us so take a hike.

The ironic thing is that I have 12-14 motorcycles (depending on how you count them ). That means a lot of batteries. I could have become a huge Odyssey supporter. They blew it. That's okay. The WestCo battery in my Elefant seems like a nice alternative brand.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #120
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Quote:

I've got a WestCo battery in mine (sealed). I can't find a model number anywhere on it. By the dimensions, it seems to be the 12V20L or 12V20. You might contact them to find out which one they recommend. It's right up to the bottom of the seat and just fits between the frame rails. I don't know what the stock battery installation looks like. Mine is held down with a nylon strap.

http://www.westcobattery.com/battery_info.html

If you want to go this route, let me know and I'll actually unscrew the terminals and lift it out to see if I can find any markings anywhere else.
Sorry to hear about your Odyssey experience, odd because they seem to be fairly universally well-regarded. Given the price difference, I was planning to go with AGM anyway. I ride pretty well year-round, so I get good battery life. If I'm not riding in the winter, I'll just swap the trickle-charger between my bikes every week or so.

I'm kinda curious to know what the difference is between the 20 L and the 20, since the dimensions are apparantly the same, but I guess my real question is whether those will work with whatever the stock battery box and hold-down system is. I don't have the bike yet to measure.
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
'01 Aprilia Fuono
'94 Miata CSP

fallzboater screwed with this post 07-30-2008 at 02:03 PM