Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #451
paulmasoner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreMrNiceGuy View Post
I think they want to make sure he's still around so they can send him out to get killed.
Most definately. IMO it's all about the money. The investment they have in us through training and the like, they don't want it wasted.

I was hit by a cager about a month ago. I was in the states on leave(from Belgium) and am going into surgery tomorrow. I haven't had any adverse questioning or anything yet, but wouldn't be surprised if I get it at some point.

I have little experience with motorcycles and the military, I've known very few guys who ride. 90% of what I've seen was when I lived very close to Marine Corp Base Hawaii. I cannot guess as to any background of those riders as I didnt know them, but they scared the shit out of me on a daily basis. And I was in my car.

The regulations regarding reflectives is stupid, yet understandable. It simply isn't feasible to cover and update for all of the possibilities and farkels, so they come up with a simple/basic easy to enforce regulations.

Unless someone would could convince me different, I do think that the majority of military cycle incidents are stupid and preventable. ie - typically young guys, 10 feet tall and bullet proof, high powered sports bikes, looking for nothing more than an adrenaline rush, riding beyond their skills or bikes ability

I am pretty harsh in the way I view many things, this is one of them. I see it as Darwinism in action. Take the idiots out of the gene pool. Obviously this doesnt apply to every situation, but I think it likely it applies to a majority
paulmasoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #452
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanowade View Post
First, it is not an “article”; it is little more than a letter to the editor that does not have to undergo any sort of editorial scrutiny.

Second, how do you reconcile your views regarding motorcycle operation and smoking by members of the military?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10346166&postcount=100

After all, smoking related illnesses kill more veterans than combat ever did, and costs the US Govt a hell of a lot more as well:

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/06/military_smoking_063009w/

When we all turned 18, we shouldered certain responsibilities.” Sound familiar?

As a vet myself, and on again/off again smoker. If you expect these guys to worry about weather or not smoking will kill them when they are spending weeks at a time dodging mortars and getting shot at you are sorely, sorely mistaken.

I told my non-smoking councilor in no uncertain terms "Who gives a shit about 20 years down the road when there are bullets flying at you right now?'

..and that was that.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #453
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post
I got stopped at the gate again last week...wearing 2pc 'stich (well-seasoned ), FF helmet with flashing LED's, gloves, CBT boots...but no orange vest.

An orange vest is not required at Hunter AAF (Savannah), GA....but the security folks are conditioned to look for the vest. I could've saved myself some time by wearing a orange LS tshirt, jeans, hi-top sneakers, beanie helmet and golf gloves.

I decided to prove my point and refuse to wear the NOT required orange vest...wait 40 minutes for DoD cop. Discuss. We both agree that the installation does not require vest (this is the second time this has happened to me). The contract security deliberately overlooked the part of the policy that specifies "at night, reflective vest or jacket"....the security folks said my 'stich was not a vest and just ignored the "or jacket" part...the same thing happened back in January.

I rarely ride my moto on base...just too much hassle....then there was the time they stopped me because my bicycle did not have reflectors on the pedals (ignoring the TWO flashing, strobing rear lights, flashing front lights and highly reflective gear (Illuminite).
These silly regulations actually decrease safety and are likely to increase accidents. I recently rode through Redstone Arsenal wearing a yellow jacket with reflective stripes and a high vis yellow helmet with added reflective stickers, but no vest. No problems the first time but when I tried to do it again at a different gate I was told I needed a vest. I had one with me so I put it on. The bottom line here is that there is absolutely no incentive to buy brightly colored gear. I suspect that very few motorcyclists wear their vests when of the base. If they had brightly colored gear, it would be with them all the time.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #454
NtShiny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
http://www.starmotorcycle.com/nation..._training.html

Jason Pridmore has been contracted by National Guard to hold a few "free" STARSchool events around the country for National Guard, Active Duty, Reserve folks.

It's a great time, and a hell a lot of fun! Plus, the team he brought last year to Topeka had great personality and synergy, something very hard to find in the world of motorcycling.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #455
Deanowade
Chronic Dumbass

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
As a vet myself, and on again/off again smoker. If you expect these guys to worry about weather or not smoking will kill them when they are spending weeks at a time dodging mortars and getting shot at you are sorely, sorely mistaken.

I told my non-smoking councilor in no uncertain terms "Who gives a shit about 20 years down the road when there are bullets flying at you right now?'

..and that was that.
I have nothing against smokers. The point I attempted to make was the apparent discrepancy in the referenced author’s views on controlling military member’s use of motorcycles versus his laissez-faire attitude regarding smoking by same.
Deanowade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #456
dolomoto OP
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,605
The 3rd ID lost two riders in the last 7 days.

The first fatality:

Sgt. Adam Huckstep, 23, of Round Rock, Texas, died Wednesday night following a motorcycle accident in Long County, according to a press release issued from Fort Stewart today.

Huckstep, an infantryman, was assigned to the 2nd Heavy Brigade Combat Team, Third Infantry Division.

He enlisted in the Army in 2008 and most recently deployed with the Third Infantry Division in October 2009. He was scheduled to deploy this summer in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

The incident is currently under investigation.

The second fatality

A Third Infantry Division soldier died in a motorcycle accident at Fort Stewart early Monday morning.

The accident occurred at 12:01 a.m. on Ga. Highway 119 near the Noncommissioned Officer Academy. The soldier, whose name is being withheld pending confirmation of next-of-kin notification, was assigned to the 1st Heavy Brigade Combat Team.

Fort Stewart police are investigating the incident. Further information about the nature of the accident was not yet available.

Chaplain support and family assistance have been extended to the soldier’s family.

Things I've ate/cooked.
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #457
dolomoto OP
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Just last week, FORSCOM sent out a Marne alert about motorcycle "safety".

I'll post it later this week...it's the usual bureaucratic stinkbomb with nary a whiff of anything that will prevent mishaps or injuries....it closes with a veiled threat that non-compliance may result in a negative line of duty determination.

THAT is TOTAL BS. DoD pays for suicides, DUI fatalities, etc....to imply that if a soldier is not wearing a reflective vest and dies means his SGLI won't pay is ludicrous. I'm firing off an email to the author of that FORSCOM alert tomorrow.

I'm curious to see if either of the 3rd ID soldiers that lost their life this week were graduates of the MSBC.

Things I've ate/cooked.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #458
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,245
Quote:
I'm curious to see if either of the 3rd ID soldiers that lost their life this week were graduates of the MSBC.
Is there an ASSumption on your part that they were on sportbikes, or do you have more information?

I'd be curious to hear if it's part of a larger behavior pattern since returning from deployment. All this safety training is trying to fix a symptom, when perhaps there's a more basic disease that needs to be dealt with.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #459
dolomoto OP
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Is there an ASSumption on your part that they were on sportbikes, or do you have more information?

I'd be curious to hear if it's part of a larger behavior pattern since returning from deployment. All this safety training is trying to fix a symptom, when perhaps there's a more basic disease that needs to be dealt with.
Oh, sorry. An earlier news article listed the mishap motorcycle (1st fatality) as a ZX6.

The 3rd ID has been back quite awhile...a few battalions have deployed soldiers in small groups. The fatality soldiers return from deployment will be revealed in the next few weeks.

The first one was the victim of vehicular manslaughter as the cage turned left in front of him.

The second mishap was on post...after midnight....lots of risk factors there (fatigue, darkness, etc.)

Things I've ate/cooked.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #460
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh, sorry. An earlier news article listed the mishap motorcycle (1st fatality) as a ZX6.

(SNIP HAPPENED)

The second mishap was on post...after midnight....lots of risk factors there (fatigue, darkness, etc.)
I figured you knew more than you'd mentioned. Interesting (somewhat) in that they may not have been, by and of themselves, what is commonly thought of as risky riding, i.e. balls out and over their heads. That doesn't mean they weren't both riding HUA.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #461
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
The bottom line here is that there is absolutely no incentive to buy brightly colored gear. I suspect that very few motorcyclists wear their vests when of the base. If they had brightly colored gear, it would be with them all the time.
I suspect very few of them wear their riding gear off base, if any of them even have actual riding gear other than a helmet, since ACUs (Multicams now) fit most base requirements.

I mean, nobody's shooting at them or trying to blow them up, how dangerous can it be?
Old 02-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #462
MisterPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
As mentioned, a lot of the problem is guys who think they're the king shit. I've known guys who won't take a rider course becasue they "know how to ride". They say they been riding for XX year, when it's more liike they've owned a bike for XX years. MSF courses are offered free of charge to tehm, even Pridmore's STAR school; but most of these guys are too "good" to go to a course. I'll admit, the sadistic side of me loves to hear "I had to lay it down". The Army could offer a 1 week, all expenses paid, 1 on 1 course with Keith Code, and you guys know there would be joes who would pass on it.

Y'know what they say; Do you really have 8 years of experience, or 1 year of expereience 8 times?
MisterPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #463
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPX View Post
As mentioned, a lot of the problem is guys who think they're the king shit. I've known guys who won't take a rider course becasue they "know how to ride". They say they been riding for XX year, when it's more liike they've owned a bike for XX years. MSF courses are offered free of charge to tehm, even Pridmore's STAR school; but most of these guys are too "good" to go to a course. I'll admit, the sadistic side of me loves to hear "I had to lay it down". The Army could offer a 1 week, all expenses paid, 1 on 1 course with Keith Code, and you guys know there would be joes who would pass on it.

Y'know what they say; Do you really have 8 years of experience, or 1 year of expereience 8 times?

I had to take the ERC 4 times while I was in the serivce, my command had an every two year policy, PLUS I had to do it over every time I transferred.

It got kind of annoying really, "No, I'm not putting four fingers on the brake" , "Wanna bet that I can lock rear and get it back" and "Yes, I can do slalom one handed".

Ironically, I STILL can't do the small box with doing a rolling brake stand, and I only did that once because I was getting a new tire on the way home.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #464
dolomoto OP
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I figured you knew more than you'd mentioned. Interesting (somewhat) in that they may not have been, by and of themselves, what is commonly thought of as risky riding, i.e. balls out and over their heads. That doesn't mean they weren't both riding HUA.

Local news is reporting the second fatality was ON POST (two highways run thru Ft Stewart)...two other vehicles were involved at 0-dark-thirty.

Things I've ate/cooked.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #465
TCSVN
...Stays in Vegas...

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by NtShiny View Post
Chronological history of statistics:

And one NATO nation realized that their troops returning from duty in Afghanistan and Iraq needed to blow some steam off before returning to normal life. They rent a resort in Cyprus and let the troops blow off all the steam they can in 3 days (or so what I've been told and the pictures I've been shown). Since implementing this policy, the incidents of return-to-normal-life-problems has lowered to almost non-existant.
At least two of US military departments do this, too. Not in Cyprus, but on the ride home in Europe. While we don't go full bore blow-off, the program(s) I'm familiar with put guys in a good setting w/their deployed teams. Between figuring out who's most likely to have a problem along with some loosely supervised time to blow off the steam, it seems to be helpful.

However, not everyone needs this time...mostly, stats show that the guys who did outside the wire missions within seven days of returning benefitted most. Conversely, folks that didn't go OTW or rarely went OTW actually had more problems...apparently they saw more asspain then benefit and really didn't benefit from the opportunity.