User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
johnlt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Spares for an Alaska trip

Three of us (all on GS Adventures) will be doing the Alaska thing this summer and I'm trying to get an handle on what spares to carry that are bike unique. One I've already decided on was a fuel module but what other should we consider. I've heard that the ring antenna around the key is worth taking as well. I'd appreciate opinions
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,572
What's the mileage on the bikes?

Buy an EWS ring antenna and carry a spare key, you don't need to install it, you just need to plug it into the bike's harness, insert a key into the hole and start the bike with the second key, then unplug it and store it till you turn the bike off again.. that's if you get an EWS fault. Carry a full compliment of Torx bits.

Carry a spare alternator belt...
Old 02-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Grok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,564
Years?

Are all 3 1200's?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Tracknod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Having done the trip with a couple bikes.. I would go with what you said plus a few other things. Carry a couple spare bulbs especially a headlight. We had one get busted and would have sucked not having it. Also, plan out your oil and and tire changes and I would keep at least one filter and oil change between the bikes. The BMW "SHOP" () in fairbanks will have them if you call ahead and will take good care of ya if you don't piss the owner off. :) Just beware, when dealing with him, as he really will make you feel like you are 12 being scolded by your grandfather for not wrenching the way he did. Other than that, just carry your normal tools and some gauges for your valves. Plan a day somewhere for maintence of all the bikes and all will be well.

I also forgot... You need to get the number for the "motel" up in Prudhoe Bay if you are going up that far to reserve a room. There are two, one was 200 a night the other was 110. Both had all the food you could eat since they are the oil workers camps. The one that was 200 is the same place that has the tour and takes you to the Ocean where you can become a Polar Bear. You will need to call ahead to arrange being on the tour 24 hours in advance since you have to have security clearance to get on the oil fields.

Shane

Tracknod screwed with this post 02-29-2008 at 02:44 PM
Tracknod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
johnlt OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grok
Are all 3 1200's?
Two 1200s and one 1150.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
Old 02-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
johnlt OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
What's the mileage on the bikes?

Buy an EWS ring antenna and carry a spare key, you don't need to install it, you just need to plug it into the bike's harness, insert a key into the hole and start the bike with the second key, then unplug it and store it till you turn the bike off again.. that's if you get an EWS fault. Carry a full compliment of Torx bits.

Carry a spare alternator belt...
Will a spare "plastic key" work. It is the emergency key that came with the bike.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
Old 02-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Tracknod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt
Will a spare "plastic key" work. It is the emergency key that came with the bike.
Yeah...

Shane
Tracknod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Grok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,564
A list of things to consider

Some of this has already been covered, some of it is 1150 specific, some of it may have a low likelihood of failure based on age/mileage.
1150 specific items marked with asterisk*

Ring Antenna
Fuel Module
Fuel Filter w/clamps and O-ring*
Sight Glass*
Alternator Belt
Spark Plug Wire(s)
Cable Set
Fuel Injector clips
Headlight (and Taillight?) bulbs
Tools
Tire Repair and/or Replacement supplies/tools
FD Big Bearing and Seal*
Hall Effect Sensor Assembly
Brake Pads
Fuel Pump Relay*
Oil Filler Plug and/or O-rings

I know very little about the failure mode(s) of the final drives on the 1200's, or if it is easy to replace any of the bearings or seals. On the 1150 if the final drive fails, it will most likely be bearing failure of the big bearing 85x120x18. It can be pressed off. You cool the crown gear and heat the new bearing and it drops right on. You can most often just replace the bearing and shim without readjusting shims because the bearing width tolerance (18mm) is very small.
If the failure is caught early enough, the fix can last indefinitely. If a large amount of metal debris is circulated the repair won't last very long, as the metal is pretty much impossible to remove without complete tear down.

You guys will probably have no trouble, and It is not my intent to make you paranoid. But Alaska and the Yukon is a BIG place with small amounts of civilization. So I'm just giving you some items to consider!

Have FUN!
P.S. I am envious!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
DEANGELIS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
A 19 inch tube. Fits front and rear if needed.

cool toys - http://stores.ebay.com/San-Diego-BMW...eNameZl2QQtZkm
DEANGELIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
tpresten
RideUmAll

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracknod
Having done the trip with a couple bikes.. I would go with what you said plus a few other things. Carry a couple spare bulbs especially a headlight. We had one get busted and would have sucked not having it. Also, plan out your oil and and tire changes and I would keep at least one filter and oil change between the bikes. The BMW "SHOP" () in fairbanks will have them if you call ahead and will take good care of ya if you don't piss the owner off. :) Just beware, when dealing with him, as he really will make you feel like you are 12 being scolded by your grandfather for not wrenching the way he did. Other than that, just carry your normal tools and some gauges for your valves. Plan a day somewhere for maintence of all the bikes and all will be well.

I also forgot... You need to get the number for the "motel" up in Prudhoe Bay if you are going up that far to reserve a room. There are two, one was 200 a night the other was 110. Both had all the food you could eat since they are the oil workers camps. The one that was 200 is the same place that has the tour and takes you to the Ocean where you can become a Polar Bear. You will need to call ahead to arrange being on the tour 24 hours in advance since you have to have security clearance to get on the oil fields.

Shane
I did the trip by myself all the way to the Arctic Circle on the Dalton from Atlanta for a total of 9650 miles on my regular R1200GS. I drive about 70-75 MPH because if I drive faster I get tired. I did the trip in 16 days. I use Mobil 1 oil and never changed the oil and never needed to add any. I used Metzeler Tourance V-rated and typically get 20,000 miles out of them. With the H-rated I only get 12,000 miles. I never adjusted the valves or messed with the throttle bodies on the entire trip and it ran just perfect. Carry an antenna for the EWS fault and carry your BMWMOA Anonymous book just in case. Carry a tubeless patch kit. Credit Card. Have fun and do not leave with any crazy expectations of anything and you will never be disappointed. I like to do it alone though since I do not have to ask anyone what they want to do or where they want to eat, etc.
tpresten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #11
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,274
rear brake pads
plan for tire changes

I wouldn't worry about bulbs too much. Mostly daylight most of time.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #12
stewy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Tire options

One popular option for tires is ordering/sending them to a local hotel or bike shop. When we were in Dawson City in '06, the owner of the Downtown Hotel had a few sets of knobbies he was holding for some guys about to arrive. They'd ride in on Tourances (or similar), switch to knobbies for the AK (or Dempster) roads, then back to the Tourances for the ride home. In hindsight I wish I had done the same.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,591
Here are the spares and consumables that I brought with me on my 12k mile AK trip. Bike is an 1150.

1 Poly-v belt
2 Gas tank bolts, washers, and nuts [the ones that hold the tank on -- I have a habit of losing these]
2 Fuel filters and crush washers
Assortment of fuses
2 Mini relays [like the little black ones in the fuse box]
Jumper kit for the side stand
Spark plugs
Rear brake pads
O-rings for quick disconnects
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #14
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracknod
Yeah...

Shane

Well now that I have a job in Cubeland, AK has been put off until Summer 2009 but at least now I have a couple of people to hit up for advice

Personally I'd carry an alternator belt in addition to the usuals. If I was feeling paranoid I might have a fuel pump control module and a ring antenna boxed up and ready to be "overnighted" to my current location with a phone call. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what fails on my trip next (next ) year...
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #15
snurdle
The name is, Bond.....

Oddometer: 2,469
JB Weld and some rear brake pads.

And some condoms (amazingly handy)

And a spare headlight bulb.

snurdle screwed with this post 02-29-2008 at 11:57 PM
snurdle is offline   Reply With Quote