Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #31
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri boy
Hello Mr Retard,
You don't know me, but I'm your long lost son that you abandoned after the doctors said I had a rare illness called "Hinkley Sydrome" and would be an embarresment to the family.
Please daddy, help me fight this nasty disease, by letting me thrash your trail bikes on some of those tracks in the pictures.

If you don't let this happen, I'll will frequent your humble abode on my overweight twin cylinder snotter, and bore you shitless with ghost stories, and lies about superiority of twin cylinder cycles.
I suspect that guy waving out the pub toilet window wasn't waving at the scrambler - he was waving thanks to you (was his name Sydney???)

If come down this way you can borrow the mighty Zonk and well show you all our "special places"
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:00 AM   #32
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass
Hi Mark
I always enjoy your photo contributions - please keep it up.
You seem to have a good eye for composition. Do you have to work at it or does it just fall into place?
thank you for the kind words....

I just take heaps and heaps and about 1 out of 5 seems ok. Its certainly something I would like to become skilled at (that and trail riding )
Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #33
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqhammar
I'm taking a couple of blokes singletrack riding tommorow.
It's been pissing down here every other day.
I fully expect to be able to produce mud pics similar to yours mate.

Thanks for the report.

Cheers: Jaq.

So where are the photos????

Were waiting
Old 03-04-2008, 12:10 AM   #34
Jaqhammar
Hooligan

Oddometer: 2,726
I enjoyed those pics and story mate.

I reckon the one of your son flipping the bike on it's tail, vertical in the mud, could be front page material.
You should send it to Baldy in as high a resolution as you can.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #35
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqhammar
I enjoyed those pics and story mate.

I reckon the one of your son flipping the bike on it's tail, vertical in the mud, could be front page material.
You should send it to Baldy in as high a resolution as you can.

My boys don't have that much talent...

that was me
Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #36
Jaqhammar
Hooligan

Oddometer: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retard_On_A_Motard
My boys don't have that much talent...

that was me
Old 03-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #37
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

9th March - A potter in the hills

Well I got sick of breaking indicators and numberplates etc etc on the WR so I ripped all the offending bits off and hey presto - a new look...

So we dissapeared up the Mungatooks this morning as my son Glen had just spent some serious cash on the suspension of his KDX and wanted to try it out.

Didnt stop him taking the WR for a thrash.... love hearing that thing echo off the hills when its being given some serious stick..

Lunch stop

Some weird shit grows in them thar hills...

I just love spending time in these hills - they are so beautiful - its the highlight of my week.

Mark_S screwed with this post 03-09-2008 at 10:07 PM
Old 03-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #38
vfxdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Great shots Mark, and nice ride reports too. I grew up in Raumati South and as kids we used to go over to the Mungatuks (as we knew them) via the Valley Road into an area we called Campbells Kingdom, which I believe was then Forestry land. I don't recognise any of the tracks- is that the way you go in? What's the deal with riding there- I know when we dragged our BSA singles in there we quite often used to get chased back out again. Although we kept going over there I always had the impression we weren't supposed to.
vfxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #39
twotired
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
That forest looks like the perfect playground for the trials bike.
twotired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #40
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

First Adventure Ride With Glen 10th June 2007

Day 1

With Glen's 20th birthday looming we decided we should "get out there and have ourselves and adventure". His birthday was on the 9th June and we set our departure date as Sunday 10th - we both had to be back at work on the following Thursday so we had 4 days to ride ride ride.....

Except that our very mild winter decided it had had enough of being mild and Sunday dawned bleak, cold, windy and treatening to rain - bugger.

Oh well - we're tough - we're adventure riders. So we loaded up the bikes (too cold for photos - that would mean exposing flesh to press the button) hit the road around 11am (so much for our planned early start...what the heck it was a holiday and did I mention that it was cold..).

Being really tough adventure riders we lasted about 45 minutes before I cried "ENOUGH.. I'M COLD - I NEED A LATTE".

So we stopped in a small town called Shannon about 80 km (50 miles) from our starting point of Raumati Beach.

After a much needed caffiene buzz we were ready to head back into it.

The wind was starting to be a real problem as it was at right angles to us and the gusts would heel us over what felt like about 20 degrees. This made cornering a bit of an adventure - just not the kind of adventure we hoped for. After 15-20 minutes of this stopped and held a pow wow. We decided "Bugger this ...this aint fun" and took the first side road that looked like it might have dirt/gravel and shelter.

We struck it lucky and after 5km or so of tarmac the road turned to dirt and started winding our way up through some hills and into some fairly sheltered valleys. We had no idea where we were going but at least it was starting to be fun.

After 10 km or so of dirt road we came to an intersection and stopped.

Glen was freezing so I dug out my spare jacket for him.

One leg of the intersection petered out quickly but the other one had possibilities....

This road was great - really twisty, sheltered and good dirt surface.
After a great wee blast we came to its end (this is looking back from the end).

This happened to be an entrance to the Woodpecker Forest. Looked interesting ... although the mud was a bit worrying - what with all the crap we had loaded on the bikes and Glens road tyres - but what the heck - lets go explore

Unfortunately none of the photos in the forest came out because of the low light levels (thats my story and I'm sticking to it). Anyway you don't want to see pictures of me stuck in the mud, pictures of me with a back tyre looking like a slime ball, pictures of me with my front guard all jammed up with mud and twigs and general forest crap. You certainly don't want to see pictures of Glen, on street tyres not getting stuck and not having any problems at all do you?

Anyway we survived the forest and headed back to the main road. there were some lovely views on hte way back.

And there were some lovely tree lined bits where the wind didn't try and blows us off the road...

We got back to the main road and the wind was still blowing its tits off. So we gave up on our ideas of "doing the big miles" and headed for the nearest town of any size which was Palmerston North.

We need something with a big heater ...this looks like us..

Had a pleasant outlook too..

On with the heater ...out with our books... stuff this adventure riding lark..

total distance covered on day1 - about 140km or about 90 miles

Day 2

Woke up to more drizley rain and a cold cold wind. We decided to stay put and went for a few short rides up into the hills to the east of Palmerston North.

As we came out of the shelter behind the trees to the right the wind just about blew us off our bikes. At this point

we gave up and headed back to our unit in Palmerston North.

Hopefully day 3 would bring better weather

Day 3 - Paydirt

Woke up to better weather - low cloud but no rain and less wind - and decided to go for a day trip east from Palmerston North across into the Wairarapa. As we climbed up the Pahiatua Aokautere Rd we enterned low cloud and just for a change - it started drizzling again. We continued on and arrived in Pahiatua about 10.30. Pahiatua was enveloped in low depressing cloud and the frustration level inside my helmet was fast approaching dummy spitting time. A stop for a coffee and sandwich improved my attitude temporarily and we decided to push on and hope that the weather would improve.

The Wairarapa is chock a block full of stunning twisty tarmac and georgeous gravel roads. Its a 2 wheel dream. We headed out east from Pahiatua to Ngaturi and on to Coonor where we took a right turn onto the Towai Rd.

This road is an awsome dirt/light gravel road with plenty of twisty turns as it winds its way over the Puketoi Mountain Range. As we climbed up into the hills the drizzle became rain and started to seriously dampen my enthusaism for this great bit of road. As we crested the summit we we enveloped in the low cloud and visibility dropped to 'sweet bugger all'.

And then 'Bang' - instant blue sky - it felt sooo good to see we stopped and just marvelled at how good it felt to feel the sun and to see the stunning views.

My bike was so happy to see the sun it threw itself on its side (no photo) to celebrate. The ground was obviously pretty soggy. My mood soared as we blasted down this great road - simply great fun. Its moments like this that make all the rain and wind and shit worth it.

We decided to head to Waihi Falls and stop for a sandwich. There is a long loose dirt uphill climb just prior to arriving at the falls and the 660 just ate it up. Had it pegged in 3rd fish tailing all the way up - it sounded just awesome - like a jackhammer on speed. I was seriously pumped.

The 660 enjoyed it too.

We had the falls all to ourselves - and with all the recent rain the water was thundering over them in a very spectacular manner.

I think Glens bike might need a clean after this...

After we had eaten and stretched our legs we headed down to Akito on the east coast but the rain started again so instead we headed to Pongaroa and had a nice big bacon and egg sandwich each.

View from our table of the busy town center

We decided to basically follow the blue sky around as we were both so sick of rain and this had us heading east down the Coast Road from Pongaroa. Had my one serious moment of the trip here. The freshly graded dirt was very wet but smooth and flat so I was travelling along at about 80km/hr(50mph) when suddenly - for no reason that I can see - I had no steering and the bike turned about 20-30 degrees from the direction I was going in while the bars did this sort of soft tank slapper thingy. I had enough time to think "Oh God don't let me crash (repeated many times very fast). Fortunately the bike was drifting towards the side of the road and hit the well defined edge left bt the recent grading. That straightened out the front and the back hit as well and I was able to very unglamarously bring the bike to a stop. By the time Glen caught up my heart had slowed down to something resembling normal.

The coast was looking decidedly wet so we hung a right up Marainanga Rd which was very very slippery.

This led to Spur Rd which had lovely views but was still very slippery.

Spur Rd joins to Huia Rd.

These roads took forever because there was just no traction and it was steep and winding. We stopped for a breather - Glen looks knackered and I'm not feeling much better.

At last we wound our way out onto tarmac - by this stage we were relieved. The light was starting to go so we headed back to Palmerton North for the night.

We were both totally exhausted when we got back to our unit. Neither of us could be bothered cooking dinner so we ate all out breakfast cereal instead and then collapsed into our beds soon after.

Day 4

Sunny weather at last. We woke up starving with no breakfast in sight (ate it last night for dinner - d'oh) so we packed up and headed to a nearby cafe that is located in some neat gardens in Palmerston North.

I know that its obligatory to have a food shot so as soon as Glen's massive BLT arrived I dug out my camera and powered it up only to discover I was too late. The little mongrel had bolted the lot in the blink of an eye (if you have seen Nibbler in Futurama you will know what I am talking about).

With breakfast dispensed with we thought we would head a little north of Palmerston North for a look round. Plenty of neat roads beckoned but we were feeling pretty rooted from the previous days marathon so we just slowly toured around soaking up the sights north of Ashhurst.

My bike started making tappity noises which is normally what it does when its had a good thrashing so I pulled over to investigate and found the radiator clogged with half of the Wairarapa. So we tootled slowly back to Ashurst and borrowed a hose at a service station to demudify the radiator.

On the hills above Ashhurst is a windfarm which looked interesting so we grabbed some lunch and headed up there to munch and inspect.

This was much more impressive than I expected - these are seriously big mofos (about 70mtrs tall I think) and there are over 70 of them on the hills.

It had a definte "Day of the Trifids" feel about it.

Look at the relative size of the bikes in the background.

We tried to compose a picture of me lying down on my back with a ginormous white pecker towering skyward (my son says I have compensation issues) but it didnt work out.

over our shoulders is the Wairarapa where we spent yesterday dodging rain clouds.

"Dad ... I think your bike needs a clean..."

"Yup"

"but so does yours..."

The wind farm seemed like a great memory to finish the trip with so we loaded up and headed towards home. After a pleasant hour and a half ride plus another coffee stop in Shannon we arrived home about 4pm and collapsed exhausted but happy onto the couch...

Mark_S screwed with this post 06-13-2008 at 09:59 PM
Old 03-16-2008, 02:13 AM   #41
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

oops I did it again

and the slow learner award goes to me.... (taken today)

Old 03-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #42
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
i dodnlt understand your need to traverse that mud pit of you had viable alternatives. you could just as easily have thrown the bike into the mud, take a dip in the mud yourself, and achieve the same outcome.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #43
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
you could just as easily have thrown the bike into the mud, take a dip in the mud yourself, and achieve the same outcome.
Where's the fun in that.
"Having a go" is what it's all about.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #44
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri boy
Where's the fun in that.
"Having a go" is what it's all about.
i might have done it once too many times.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #45
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
i might have done it once too many times.
this last lot looked like normal leaf covered trail .... untill it got a bit of weight on it

you should have heard what my son said when he saw what I'd done ... again...