ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #901
rogerh
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy mac View Post
Well I went round and purchased a 2009 KTM EXC300.
Nice. Good call for the mungatooks. But you will now need to learn throttle control. Bugger of a challenge
rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #902
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy Xzibit mac View Post
I'm still pimping my ride
Well if you finish pimping your ride and want to start destroying your ride be at the carpark at 10 for your appointment with Wayne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart-nz View Post
Isn't that the same hand grenade Glen's got.
Glen cried when he read that - I'm impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
So what your saying is that some of the betterer riders are deliberately handicapping themselves by riding somewhat overweight bikes to bring their outstanding level of riding skill down to a level commensurate with everyone elses?
I suppose we all carry a set of 'un-truths' around in our heads that help us feel positive about ourselves - thinks like...
chicks dig airheads
people think my dick is as big as my tank
etc etc
also I think you are confusing the phrases 'somewhat overweight' and 'morbidly obese' in your comment above

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
Nice. Good call for the mungatooks. But you will now need to learn throttle control. Bugger of a challenge
both Glen and I use the G400 throttle cam thingies - make a significant improvement in keeping traction and reduces throttle hand cramping
__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #903
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,645
Waynes Track 17th March

the words steep, slippery, brutal and unrelenting come to mind as the best desciption I can think of for riding up Waynes Track in the Mungy's. Strangely though it was also awesome fun. I would think it was the toughest riding (way tougher than riding up the Devils Staircase) that we are capable of whilst still actually riding the bikes (as opposed to physically dragging them up obstacles).

The climb took us about 1 1/2 hours but at least half of that was spent collapsed on the ground after particularly nasty bits (I'm not fit enough).

I wouldnt even think of attempting this ride without trials tires - they make such a difference.

__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #904
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
the words steep, slippery, brutal and unrelenting come to mind as the best desciption I can think of for riding up Waynes Track in the Mungy's. Strangely though it was also awesome fun. I would think it was the toughest riding (way tougher than riding up the Devils Staircase) that we are capable of whilst still actually riding the bikes (as opposed to physically dragging them up obstacles).

The climb took us about 1 1/2 hours but at least half of that was spent collapsed on the ground after particularly nasty bits (I'm not fit enough).

I wouldnt even think of attempting this ride without trials tires - they make such a difference.
There's a track on the vid?

I couldn't see one. I think Glen was just making it up and seeing how far he could make you follow
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #905
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
There's a track on the vid?

I couldn't see one. I think Glen was just making it up and seeing how far he could make you follow
yes some of the tracks require riding by braille and possibly as a result of all the damage caused by the big storm last year some of the lesser tracks are becoming unmaintained and overgrown. Our little hand saws will only cut through so much. We didnt post any vidoes of the track we tried to ride in the afternoon but while is wan't particularly steep it was very indistinct with lots of trees down - we gave up in the end.
__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #906
innathyzit
AKA Woodman
 
innathyzit's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nelson NZ
Oddometer: 861
You need to bolt a trials bike to your trials tyre.

is the WR overkill on this stuff?
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #907
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,435
My mate has picked up an early WR450 - road lega from Wellywood. He is worried the motor is quite noisy. Should they be ratttly or is he up for a rebuild?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #908
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
is the WR overkill on this stuff?
yup - a 250 would be less work but the 450 is what I've got so untill its worn out its what I'm riding....
and you do get very used to having lots of grunt - I really like grunt - actually I'm addicted to grunt - grunt makes up for a lack of skill, in fact you can stick your pissy little 250 up your bum and I'll happily ride my 450 in inappropriate places and be knackered for days after a ride as a result. so there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
My mate has picked up an early WR450 - road lega from Wellywood. He is worried the motor is quite noisy. Should they be ratttly or is he up for a rebuild?
based on your description I think it will be fine.....
or maybe not

someone once told me that if a wr sounds like its got rocks in the crankcase its either got rocks in the crankcase or its completely normal.

if he doesnt have any proof of recent work - a 4-8 year old wr should have the lid lifted for a look see
a worn $90 cam chain can eat the crankshaft and turn the bike into a pile of parts
__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #909
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
yup - a 250 would be less work but the 450 is what I've got so untill its worn out its what I'm riding....
and you do get very used to having lots of grunt - I really like grunt - actually I'm addicted to grunt - grunt makes up for a lack of skill, in fact you can stick your pissy little 250 up your bum and I'll happily ride my 450 in inappropriate places and be knackered for days after a ride as a result. so there


Teeheehee. That was so funny I thought I'd reply in green ink. You showed that guy!! lets see him ride an inappropriate bike silly places then we can sit around & laugh like we do at you!!

based on your description I think it will be fine.....
or maybe not

someone once told me that if a wr sounds like its got rocks in the crankcase its either got rocks in the crankcase or its completely normal.

if he doesnt have any proof of recent work - a 4-8 year old wr should have the lid lifted for a look see
a worn $90 cam chain can eat the crankshaft and turn the bike into a pile of parts
Cheers for that. Now I'm using blue cos we're talking yamaha now. I went for a ride on it yesterday & it's got plenty of stonk. I wasn't worried about the engine noise riding it but having it loaded up at low revs (semi lugging) there was a sound almost like the gears weren't meshing - at normal or high revs it was fine. Actually at high revs I was more worried about trying to hide the wees on the front of my trousers - but anyway every type of bike feels & sounds different so it is prob ok - may even be chain noise or sumting.

You know for a thread that doesn't have a mono or paralever in sight you're not doing too bad.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #910
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Cheers for that. Now I'm using blue cos we're talking yamaha now. I went for a ride on it yesterday & it's got plenty of stonk. I wasn't worried about the engine noise riding it but having it loaded up at low revs (semi lugging) there was a sound almost like the gears weren't meshing - at normal or high revs it was fine. Actually at high revs I was more worried about trying to hide the wees on the front of my trousers - but anyway every type of bike feels & sounds different so it is prob ok - may even be chain noise or sumting.

You know for a thread that doesn't have a mono or paralever in sight you're not doing too bad.
check the chain and the chain guides on the top and bottom of the swingarm - a worn chain seems very noisy on a wr for some reason.

How do you compare it to your 400?

thank you for the kind words :)
__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #911
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot
 
Mark_S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Kapiti NZ
Oddometer: 1,645
A liittle potter up Odlins Rd

Didn't go according to plan really...

The damage from this little off took over an hour to fix (bent all the frame that supports the from fairing so I couldnt turn right and cracked the fairing. it hurt too



Then the camera fell off my helmet and we had to ride a km or so back before we found it. Then Tony went for a swim in a big puddle and was soaked from head to foot - that was the only funny bit.

What should take 1.5hrs to ride took over 4 - but it was still a lot better than mowing the lawns....
__________________
These are the best days
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #912
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,435
Ah I remember those days with Gonzo - "Hey look that rock looks slippery - ooowwwwwwww. Can you guys help me pick this up? guys? guys?? HEY BACK HERE!!".

You must be a bloody ironman Mark- I get absolutely shagged after riding with Nordie for 1/2 an hour.

The wrf seemed very much like most other 450 mx bikes I've ridden - indecent amount of power for such a lite bike. Easy to ride & loft the front wheel - gooood front brakes & engine braking, buzzy with a butt wedging seat.
The KLX (DRZ) is a lot softer in comparison however it feels smoother. Funny how compared to the wrf the DRZ is a road bike yet compared to a KLR/BMW it is a trail bike.

Padmei screwed with this post 03-24-2012 at 11:04 PM
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #913
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,435
You knpw mark I saw a triumph Scrambler the other day & it reminded me of you ridng that one over Takaka hill many years ago. I can see one of those in your future.
Here's the Steve McQueen special edition.




My mate took that new to him WR450 to the shop - needs a new fricking bottom end - he's chasing up the barstard that sold it to him in Wellywood.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #914
Box'a'bits
In need of repair
 
Box'a'bits's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,038
Your mate seems to have forgotten the fundemental rules governing the selling of bikes: 1. flog it to get something better, or; 2. flog it before the repairs get too out of hand, or; 3. see rules 1 AND 2.

There's a 4th one there too that says something about pressure from the wife, but I try to ignore that one...
__________________
My '91 R100GS thread is here
My Ride photos are here

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #915
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
Didn't go according to plan really...

The damage from this little off took over an hour to fix (bent all the frame that supports the from fairing so I couldnt turn right and cracked the fairing. it hurt too



Then the camera fell off my helmet and we had to ride a km or so back before we found it. Then Tony went for a swim in a big puddle and was soaked from head to foot - that was the only funny bit.

What should take 1.5hrs to ride took over 4 - but it was still a lot better than mowing the lawns....
I don't mind ridding on slippery surfaces as long as they're not steep, flat, rocky, non rocky, rutty, clay, grass, papa, mud, seal or if there's any camera's about
__________________
My KTM 390 Adventure - we live in hope!
My KTM 690 - RIP
My Rev3 Trials Adventures
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014