ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #1516
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah
Anyone have any thoughts on living in the Wheeling / Ohio county area?

Wheeling PD has 7 openings, with only about 100 applicants. I'm gonna test with them in late January; a condition of employment is residing in Ohio County.

I'd like a rural, small acreage, inexpensive home. What's the area like? Cost of living? The pay pretty much sucks at WPD...
Cheap to live there, my brother has a rental house in Ohio Co. for when he works that area, pays next to nothing for it I think you can buy a lot of house there affordably.

swingset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #1517
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
I'm kinda sorry I missed the trip Jeremy, but I didn't freeze my ass off.
Plan a trip back when it's warmer and I'm not broke and I'm there.
JTucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #1518
Mapmakr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah
Anyone have any thoughts on living in the Wheeling / Ohio county area?

Wheeling PD has 7 openings, with only about 100 applicants. I'm gonna test with them in late January; a condition of employment is residing in Ohio County.

I'd like a rural, small acreage, inexpensive home. What's the area like? Cost of living? The pay pretty much sucks at WPD...
Three words

Cabelas Gun Library

I grew up in that area. Nice area 90% rural mostly service sector jobs after the mills and most of the mines closed. lots of good roads for riding and a fair amount of dirt in the old strip mine areas.
Mapmakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #1519
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker
I'm kinda sorry I missed the trip Jeremy, but I didn't freeze my ass off.
Plan a trip back when it's warmer and I'm not broke and I'm there.
I think we are going to skip vintage bike days this year and head to OK. Odds our we will swallow our pride and haul the bikes out to a starting point. Driving straight through will give us an extra day to ride. Maybe June or July. I will keep you posted when we nail down a date.

I will be in welder training this week so I am not sure if I can get a RR done or not.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #1520
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapmakr
Three words

Cabelas Gun Library

You forgot one..............$$$

They do have some gorgeous firearms there.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #1521
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrmike
I like this shot.
Heck,I like them all.
Looks like a good ADVenture.
Waitin on the RR

Hmm, Yellow Strom with Givi cases at a stream crossing... you sure this ain't a picture of me coming down Mike and Kay's driveway?

Great pics, guys.. and from a fellow yellow strom owner, good job! (and why didn't you invite me? )

One question... did you two find ground clearance to be an issue?

I have a first-generation (design was changed at some point) SW-Motech skid plate and it seems VERY low... having taken it down a few gnarly forest roads, I've trashed it and finding that ground clearance is an increasingly important issue, and that my skidplate is far too low.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:59 AM   #1522
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox

One question... did you two find ground clearance to be an issue?

I have a first-generation (design was changed at some point) SW-Motech skid plate and it seems VERY low... having taken it down a few gnarly forest roads, I've trashed it and finding that ground clearance is an increasingly important issue, and that my skidplate is far too low.
On the TAT ground clearance hasnt been an issue yet. There were some rocky sections in AR that i banged my skid on a few times. I am sure the farther west we get the more it will come into play. That was probably the last TAT section I do on the strom. A lighter DS will be on the next trip or a Ural.

Ruffshod (the one in the water crossing pic) runs a pat walsh skid. Its pretty low, he hits his a lot.

I built my own skid similar to the TT design. I tucked it up as high as I could. I still hit it a lot. Actually I need to go back and add some gussets. I have hit mine hard enough and often enough I snapped off both bolts on the Givi crash bars. the two bolts than run in from the back side of the mounting plate on the front motor mount bracket. To be honest, when we ride around here I have more issues with the dang center stand snaggin ruts and hanging me up than I do with the skid plate.

The Strom is a pig, it does way more than people give it credit for, but ground clearance is definitely a big down side to these bikes. Thats why I built a beefy skid and try to be particular about line selection in rougher stuff. Actually I think the crappy forks are a major downfall and really hold the DL back. The forks are like a noodle, under sprung and lack of comp/reb adjustment are annoying. I might make a fork brace this winter to see if that helps. I cant believe how often the forks bottom. but i digress. I like my strom, it does what i need it to, I just have to ride it accordingly.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #1523
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Are you still thinking about that Beemer Jeremy?
The ural would be awesome, you could carry all my crap so I could haul ass!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:25 AM   #1524
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

right now its between a 650 x challenge, a ktm 530 or maybe the ural. I really want the ural but I dont want a bike payment, especially on a russian bikeWifey can go on more trips with the sidecar though. WHich is good and bad I havent ruled out an XR yet. I like my magic button though.

Prices are dropping like a rock on used 650X's.

i really want the 690 enduro but i am not paying those prices for a bike i will beat the piss out of.

HA, obviously i dont know what I want. There is a really good deal on an 06 YZ250 setup for XC racing on craigslist. Its in Ravenswood. Thought about grabbing it for a practice/trail bike. Then I could just race/trail ride all year and skip the big DS entirely. Just make due with the vstrom.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #1525
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

I've noticed the prices on the x have been coming down, almost as cheap as a plated xr. The e-start is the only bad thing I can find about the xr so far, besides the fact that it's really built for out west.

I've been on the lookout for a cheap tank for the yz so we can do some more trail riding. I was watching some hatfield-McCoy videos last night, looked like fun, except for trail 199, not sure I'm up to that one yet.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #1526
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

im just going to suck it up and buy the zipty tank since its the same width as stock. There is a used IMS on harescrambletalk but its a dry break setup. I just want a normal cap. last winter there were used tanks everywhere, now I can barely find any, when i do they are almost as much as a new one. I have to order my top end stuff soon too.

i am sick of this frozern tundra crap, i am ready for spring and some ride/camp weekends.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #1527
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

I'll find one. I need to get my forks off and change the seals. If I can find some info, I might try to do a revalve while they're apart. I actually liked the wider tank like is on Mike's RM, feels more natural to me. The ergonomics of that bike fit me better with the width and the taller triple clamp. I think I need to at least get a set of bar risers.

I'm definitely ready for some warmer weather, I can't imagine living up north where it's like this all winter.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #1528
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

You just need some taller bars. CR Hi bends or similar(his are a doug henry which is close to cr-hi. The taller bars on my bike made all the difference in the world. They are an inch taller than Cr-Hi. I didnt like the width on mike's rm tank, felt akward while standing and just wrong when sitting. I am just used to my skinny yz tank where I actually squeeze the frame, not the tank.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #1529
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Maybe I could measure the peg, bar setup on the XR, it feels way more comfortable standing than the YZ. It has a set of renthals on it but the steering head is quite a bit higher than the yz.

Supposed to be in the 40s later this week, I might get to ride.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #1530
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,980
Look at the Pastrana bend, I hear they are pretty high.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote