ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #1711
elroyjetsn
Mountain Fan

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highliner
I did a DR 250 in Morgantown with a bicycle speedo and a Baja D Kit. I think they want a before and after pic, and receipt for the kit or the parts. The DMV knew that I needed and It was pretty easy to do. It was three yrs ago so not real clear anymore on what I needed. My buddy did his drz 400 with a mix of different parts and no kit w/o too much hassle.
To get my DR 250 plated required a State Police voucher for the bike's VIN matching the Title. Then i could get the bike inspected for DMV compliance and you present the docs to the DMV and they issue tags. You still have an offroad title, but the bike's VIN now shows up as WV DMV endorsed. The trick is to find an inspection station that'll sign off on it. Auto shops wouldn't even consider it. Local MC dealer did. Just make sure your ducks are in a row when you show up.

I didn't have a kit, so that meant rewiring the bike with a charging DC VR, H4 HI/LO beam conversion, turn signals, battery, brake lights and switches front and rear ,mirrors, speedo w/nonresetable odo, and horn.
David's Heart Band
elroyjetsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:11 AM   #1712
Highliner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I already had an offroad title, so I didn't have to find a trooper. You might want to put some Dot tires too.
Highliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #1713
elroyjetsn
Mountain Fan

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highliner
I already had an offroad title, so I didn't have to find a trooper. You might want to put some Dot tires too.
Oops...

Forgot about that, and that was the first thing the inspector checked!

For some reason they wanted assurance that the title actually went with the bike?? Thus the form. Maybe its a Berkeley County thing...
David's Heart Band
elroyjetsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #1714
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroyjetsn
To get my DR 250 plated required a State Police voucher for the bike's VIN matching the Title. Then i could get the bike inspected for DMV compliance and you present the docs to the DMV and they issue tags. You still have an offroad title, but the bike's VIN now shows up as WV DMV endorsed. The trick is to find an inspection station that'll sign off on it. Auto shops wouldn't even consider it. Local MC dealer did. Just make sure your ducks are in a row when you show up.

I didn't have a kit, so that meant rewiring the bike with a charging DC VR, H4 HI/LO beam conversion, turn signals, battery, brake lights and switches front and rear ,mirrors, speedo w/nonresetable odo, and horn.
Hell I would have inspected it. As long as you have proof of insurance, proof of ownership. The only deal is you have to trailer it to the station without plates the tires cant touch the ground.. I also do Modified Inspections.
BuffWv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #1715
n2omike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Here's the 2004 XR250R I picked up a couple of weeks ago. The guy that owned it had eight bikes, but died of brain cancer. His step-son had been selling them off, and this was the last one to go. It's a 2004 Honda XR250R, and he said it barely got ridden. He usually rode a 650 enduro that was already street legal and electric start. I believe it, as the brake rotors, chain/sprockets and all still look almost new. The bike is a cherry!

I got it on craigslist for a very good price ($1600) and decided to make it street legal... so I bought a Baja Designs Dual Sport Kit, wide footpegs, mirrors, etc. I also added the bark busters, some new oil/filters, etc. The biggest PITA was getting everything mounted on the handlebars so it all fit, worked, and was at the right angles!

Anyway, here it is!

Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #1716
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike

You will enjoy that XR. I raced one of these for a couple seasons, thay can be made to go fast with little money. I left the motor and pipe stock and had the suspension and layout fixed up. WER did the suspenders and raised them an inch. Thumper racing raised the seat almost 2" and a new upper tree to move the CR-hi bend bars to a place where a 6'2" lump could reach them. A person can only go so fast between the trees, the problem is staying between them.

Enjoy your sweet ride

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #1717
ghostfinger
n00b

Oddometer: 2
newbe here on advrider, lots of interesting reading, I'm located near Woodrum Lake ,7 miles from I77, been doing lots of local riding, love to hit the gravels. Bought my xr650l a year ago off ebay, It had 200 miles on it, the sweetest of deals, I was smiling ear to ear when I loaded it on my truck, was trying to hurry away for fear of the seller changing his mind, then he told me I needed to take it all, IMS 4 gallon tank, XR's only header & exhaust, baja mirrors & foot pegs, Rox Rizers,Renthal handlebars, smog block off kit, dynojets, D606 rear tire, scorpion pro front w/heavy duty tubes , taillight assembly, Ims filter, and a few other mods I can't think of. I came home with a truck loadd. After doing Dave's mods to the carb, and installing all of the above, I have one SWEET ride. It screams.. Its a lot for an old man to hang on to, but it makes me feel 20 again. I'll try to post pix when I figure out how.

Happy Trails
ghostfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #1718
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostfinger
newbe here on advrider, lots of interesting reading, I'm located near Woodrum Lake ,7 miles from I77, been doing lots of local riding, love to hit the gravels. Bought my xr650l a year ago off ebay, It had 200 miles on it, the sweetest of deals, I was smiling ear to ear when I loaded it on my truck, was trying to hurry away for fear of the seller changing his mind, then he told me I needed to take it all, IMS 4 gallon tank, XR's only header & exhaust, baja mirrors & foot pegs, Rox Rizers,Renthal handlebars, smog block off kit, dynojets, D606 rear tire, scorpion pro front w/heavy duty tubes , taillight assembly, Ims filter, and a few other mods I can't think of. I came home with a truck loadd. After doing Dave's mods to the carb, and installing all of the above, I have one SWEET ride. It screams.. Its a lot for an old man to hang on to, but it makes me feel 20 again. I'll try to post pix when I figure out how.

Happy Trails
its nice to see ya on here Ghostfinger!!!

Are you going to Laurel Fork with us??
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #1719
ruffshod67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV
its nice to see ya on here Ghostfinger!!!

Are you going to Laurel Fork with us??

so they finally deemed you worthy to be on here
yeh are you going on the campout all the kool kids are.
ruffshod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #1720
ghostfinger
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Still hoping I can go. Having some issues with Dad, and these !@*#! apartments. Working hard to catch up..
ghostfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #1721
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,391
That XR250 is an absolute steal for $1600, looks great!!! Nice work on installing the kit, too.
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #1722
n2omike
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff36
Hell I would have inspected it. As long as you have proof of insurance, proof of ownership. The only deal is you have to trailer it to the station without plates the tires cant touch the ground.. I also do Modified Inspections.
There's a service station that does inspections around 0.2 miles from my house, so I just rode it up there and they signed a paper saying it would pass a state inspection. They didn't look too closely at the tires. LOL! They didn't charge a dime, and it was no problem at all. I have known them for a long time, though. I went up there today to get the inspection sticker. Again, no problem.

After that, I had to send a picture of the front, and one of the side of the bike, along with another form, the old off road Ohio title, insurance certificate, and a copy of the recipt for the dual sport kit down the the DMV, and they gave me plate and registration. They said if there would happen to be a problem, the state would get back with them/me. They said, if there was a problem, it would probably just be a little more red tape.

I had to pay a 5% tax on the purchase price of the bike + cost of the conversion kit, a $10 title fee, a $10 plate fee (going up to $16 in July) and that was it. With my, umm, $1000 purchase price, the total was less than $100. Liability Insurance with my current, elevated coverage limits, was $90 for six months.

I'm SUPER stoked at this point!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #1723
n2omike
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah
That XR250 is an absolute steal for $1600, looks great!!! Nice work on installing the kit, too.
Thanks!

It took me ALL DAY Saturday to clean it up, install the kit, new air filter, jet the carb, install mirrors and install the hand guards. I put in a SOLID 12hr day, but I'm picky when it comes to doing things 'right'. I still don't really like the taillight assembly, as it doesn't fit that good, but it is what it is, and the rest of the kit is excellent!

When reading through the instructions, it said installation time was 1-2 hours, and I just laughed out loud! Actually, the most time consuming part was getting everything to fit on the handlebars, and work properly. I had to spend some time with the compression release and it's adjustment to get it workable.

I LOVE the fact that it's a fully streetable dirt bike!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #1724
turkeyman101
Navigationally Impaired

Oddometer: 586
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike
I'm SUPER stoked at this point!
It is nice to still be in a place where your word and a handshake make it work, eh? Savor it, and ride safe! Stay stoked! Give the same respect to the Troopers you encounter, and it will all be good!

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese..."
The Navigator told me to dress for the crash... (Don't throw rocks at the Navigator, ESPECIALLY when you THINK you know where you are!)

07 KLR 650
1 hp Tennessee Walker
both rode hard...
turkeyman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #1725
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Black Wee in Mtta

Denny, I've been seeing a black wee running around town. Have you seen it yet?

Kurt W, passed you today on route 60. I was on a wee and my son was on a DR650. He works at Wayne National and passes your work place and loves your bike.

Don