ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #1771
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman
I am lucky enough to be able to take my gear to my office. For a helmet, when I go somewhere I can't take it with me (or don't want to) I carry a bicycle cable lock and lock it through the face guard to something solid on the bike. If you lock it by the helmet strap, someone will cut the strap and rivet a new one on later like they did my friends $500 Shoei
I made a 6 foot long cable using bulk steel stranded cable from the hardware store and swage fittings, that way I can pass it through the sleeve of my coat, my pants, and my helmet chinbar and lock them to the bike with a little padlock.

'Course, I never carry it and invariably leave my key in the bike everywhere I go. Never been messed with *yet*.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #1772
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickH1
Just wanted to check in and say hello. Mech Engineering student down here in Montgomery. All of my friends have or want crotch rockets. But I'm working on converting every last one of them

Don't know what my summer plans are yet. Might be heading back to Virginia.

When I get back, though... I'm going to arrange a pretty big ride sometime. All off road if I can help it. This area is dual sport heaven, IMO.
I have a female friend that lives down there, in fact she's a night janitor at WVU-IT. Can't get her to take a ride on the 990 though. You're right, I've found a lot of DS type stuff down there over the last several years. I usually make it down to camp in the Gorge at leas once or twice a year and do some riding. Actually, there is so much stuff that I'd have to be retired in order to have time to find it all.

If I get canned at work, I'm considering finishing my degree at Tech, but we'll have to see.

Mike,
I go tomorrow for the plant tour and whatnot. Me and 800 other people
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #1773
MaverickH1
Hummer H7 Rider

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby
I have a female friend that lives down there, in fact she's a night janitor at WVU-IT. Can't get her to take a ride on the 990 though. You're right, I've found a lot of DS type stuff down there over the last several years. I usually make it down to camp in the Gorge at leas once or twice a year and do some riding. Actually, there is so much stuff that I'd have to be retired in order to have time to find it all.
If she's the night janitor for the engineering building, I know who you're talking about. She's usually around while I'm doing work in the computer lab at night.

There is definitely too much stuff in this area. The only people that seem to know about all of it have either lived here their entire life or they have to know it for work.
MaverickH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #1774
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickH1
I had forgotten all about ADV after our little meeting. And today I was in Charleston and had two KTM 950 Adventures and a DRZ 250 pass in front of me at a light. I have seen a total of 3 dual sport bikes here in WV in the past year. So when I saw 3 together, I got so excited that I dodged the red light and chased them down.

Then I had that whole "I feel like a creepy stalker" feeling. I also gave one guy on a KTM that awkward moment of "Well I waved at another biker and now he's next to me at a stop light, why is this so awkward?" And then the guy on the DRZ (tdrrally) stopped to see what the hell I wanted. We ended up talking for a few minutes and he reminded me that I'm an idiot (in kinder words) for not being on this forum.

And everything else is history

I STILL haven't taken out my carb, by the way. Exams and such have eaten all my time. But the stumble is gone after a spark plug change. My bike is still only firing on one cylinder, though.

I wanted to see those KTMs!
LMAO The lead orange bike was me.(second orange was Questor from Conn) I didnt see anything creepy.
We were headed home, I didnt see you guys pull off until we were about half a click away. Have to hook up and do a ride with us soon.
PM me for contact info.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #1775
TheInfamousDrBholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Maveric- I'm in Charleston daily during the school year....well not this fall, i'll be back in jan....sucks to be a failure. I am in Pharmacy school at UC. But I ride my KTM 620 down to school on occassion. We could hook up for a ride one of these days. Ride down to lewisburg and get a sandwich or something :) mmmmm food....*begins to forage in the kitchen*
TheInfamousDrBholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #1776
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR
LMAO The lead orange bike was me.(second orange was Questor from Conn) I didnt see anything creepy.
We were headed home, I didnt see you guys pull off until we were about half a click away. Have to hook up and do a ride with us soon.
PM me for contact info.
the creepy part is following this guy he will get you into trouble. Ed I am off from work weekend after next.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:03 AM   #1777
R Doug
Recalculating

Oddometer: 318
Chose the 720p option and crank it up! I love riding in WV!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #1778
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR
PM me for contact info.
Oh man, would have loved to have met up with you guys. Always up for meeting more folks from WV and chat up Questor about his CDT ride from last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Doug
Chose the 720p option and crank it up! I love riding in WV!
Cool stuff. That Go Pro HD looks like it does the job well. Mounted it directly to the bike for any footage yet? Also, that katoomer sounds pretty darn good..
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #1779
R Doug
Recalculating

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox
Oh man, would have loved to have met up with you guys.
Cool stuff. That Go Pro HD looks like it does the job well. Mounted it directly to the bike for any footage yet? Also, that katoomer sounds pretty darn good..
Thanks, I just picked up the camera last night so that's the only video I have from it so far. I think I need to aim it upwards a little more next time.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #1780
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer: 253
It's a Boy!

First grandchild born today, 5/11/2010

Liam Matthew Braun. 9lbs, 4oz. 21 in.

Gonna have to get the Gold Wing ready for a trip to Michigan to see him - if I take a KLR my kids will think I'm just making the trip for fun.

Wolf
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #1781
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Congrats Granpa!

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:24 AM   #1782
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Mook
First grandchild born today, 5/11/2010

Liam Matthew Braun. 9lbs, 4oz. 21 in.

Gonna have to get the Gold Wing ready for a trip to Michigan to see him - if I take a KLR my kids will think I'm just making the trip for fun.
Congratulations. Grandkids make putting up with your kids all worth while. Enjoy!!!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #1783
WRrioR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Would any of you Morgantown area riders be up for a weekly dual sport evening ride? do some exploration around the local area?

I'd like to set something up on, say, thursday evening at six and get a group to hit some trails and dirt roads.

you can check in with me at the Honda/Yam/Suz/Ktm shop if you are interested. Kevin
WRrioR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #1784
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Please don't tell me that they washed all of that Tunisian mud, or sand, off of them!

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #1785
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Well ya must have skeered someone. Beats buying new pants though. And I thought all of the screwballs were on my side of the fence...
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote