ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #7531
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,044
I'm in Preston Co, I can do a 100 mile loop from my front door with about 20 miles of pavement.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #7532
MotoWV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I'm in Preston Co, I can do a 100 mile loop from my front door with about 20 miles of pavement.
Preston is one county I've not spent much time in. I have floated the Cheat river a few times around the 7 islands to Rowlesburg area. Can't remember if thats Tucker or Preston county though.

Sounds like you have some good ridin' close by.
MotoWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #7533
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

I live in Rowlesburg, used to be a guide on the Cheat.
Lots of dirt road riding around, I have the first week of July off.

What say you?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #7534
MotoWV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
We're heading to Colorado on July 6. We are pulling the 5th wheel out and will be gone about three weeks. (Unless I decide to never come back.)

The first week of July will be pretty busy for me packing and readying the truck/camper so I doubt that week will work for me. I'm game before or after our vacation though.

How's the smallmouth fishin' on the Cheat these days?
MotoWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #7535
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Smallmouth fishing is not as good, they stock it with trout now.
Dunno why they don't stock something that will survive the warmer summer water temps.

I'll be home next weekend.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #7536
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
its wv!
Old 06-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #7537
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Pretty quiet on this thread lately, did everyone quit riding or going alone? We rode up CC yesterday and it looks as if the gates are starting to go up.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #7538
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvridgerider View Post
Pretty quiet on this thread lately, did everyone quit riding or going alone? We rode up CC yesterday and it looks as if the gates are starting to go up.
What area were the gates in?
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #7539
RidingBInWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Would love to tag along with any of you guys that'd let me if I could. Got a ways yet though before I really can. I'll be watching out for any pics from rides though and drinking them all in. Hopefully I can keep the drool off the keyboard! As always, can't wait until I can get out there and do it myself. I've lived all my life so far in WV, but there's still TONS I don't know about her. So much beautiful scenery to see and locations to stop in and roll through!

Anyway, as I wait for the MSF course at the end of the month, I've been reading up on various aspects of motorcycles. Particularly trying to learn what I can do myself maintenance-wise so I'll be able to do the basics on my own bike. I don't know if it's just me or not, but just reading the general mechanical jargon was making my already dirty mind, dirtier (if that's even possible)...

Welp, hope everyone's had a good weekend!
RidingBInWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #7540
bholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
Dox and I are headed out mid Monday morning in Pleasants/Ritchie/Tyler counties for a 100 + miler. Mostly old trails and jeep roads with a few river crossings thrown in for good taste. Bikes will be a DRZ 400 and a KTM 530

We are headed out on these

Just to show a few crossings

Anyone else wanna tag along . We will just be "Meandering"

You suck! Of all days my kids have to go to the dentist! Dad is riding street tomorrow and ya'll are riding dirt...and I"ll be riding the chair in the waiting room. Eh, someday I"ll be old and bored....spose I'll enjoy listening to the kids fight in the back seat until then
BTW Put a new clutch in my KTM 250 and did the carb on dad's TE250 today. The new clutch is much better. Can't believe how much it was slipping.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #7541
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by bholmes View Post
You suck! Of all days my kids have to go to the dentist! Dad is riding street tomorrow and ya'll are riding dirt...and I"ll be riding the chair in the waiting room. Eh, someday I"ll be old and bored....spose I'll enjoy listening to the kids fight in the back seat until then
BTW Put a new clutch in my KTM 250 and did the carb on dad's TE250 today. The new clutch is much better. Can't believe how much it was slipping.
Took vacation this week. Probably doing a road ride on the GS Wednesday and motocross track over here in the land of worthless nuts on Thursday if yard work doesn't get in the way.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #7542
bholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Took vacation this week. Probably doing a road ride on the GS Wednesday and motocross track over here in the land of worthless nuts on Thursday if yard work doesn't get in the way.
Keep my posted and if I can keep caught up on stuff I'll try to go with you guys Wed. MX sounds like a bad idea for me! I've never tried it before but I kinda like to push the envelope and I I can see it ending poorly (although my 250 SX would love it).
Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #7543
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Keep my posted and if I can keep caught up on stuff I'll try to go with you guys Wed. MX sounds like a bad idea for me! I've never tried it before but I kinda like to push the envelope and I I can see it ending poorly (although my 250 SX would love it).
Unless anyone else tags along, Wednesday is just going to be me. I think everyone else is workin' that day. Probably do familiar twisties and a little gravel exploration on the GS, or just do twisties all day and blow the dust off the wife's Versys.

The MX track here isn't too hard, and it's cheap enough. They also have a neat 3 or 4 mile quad-width GP course that's a good workout. If you hit it when it's dry, just run it slow and you'll never have a problem. I'm a big guy on a DRZ with almost zero off-road experience, so I'm not doing crazy jumps or anything. More or less, I use it as a fitness thing and a way to get more comfortable on a dual sport bike as you flow around the track at a consistent pace.

Six hours on that track did more for my confidence than I could have imagined. By the 2nd time I rode there I trusted myself, the tires, and the bike about ten times more than when I started.

The beauty of this place is that no one is there mid-week during the day, so if you do something stupid... well, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it...
Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #7544
bholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
The beauty of this place is that no one is there mid-week during the day, so if you do something stupid... well, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it...
Depends on how stupid it is! "Mrs. Holmes, your husband seems to have broken his femur and is unconscious. Could you please come to the ER?" (That's not happened....yet).
Old 06-11-2012, 03:27 AM   #7545
BuffWv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Depends on how stupid it is! "Mrs. Holmes, your husband seems to have broken his femur and is unconscious. Could you please come to the ER?" (That's not happened....yet).
Yeah you have not been riding with me yet have ya