ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #8026
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffWv View Post
Yep there are a few of us that go but those Dang SMiBs have taken over We are the WVThrillbillies at our end.
An old onehttp://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749219
Well I'd be glad to be taken in along with a couple of other riders from my area.

I am working on a bike purchase as I don't believe the Harley would appreciate those kind of accommodations at Laurel Fork.
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #8027
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,894
No trouble getting the bike to Laurel Fork, and there are some good paved rides around there.
I'm east of you in Preston Co, once you find a dual sport let me know if you want to come over and ride.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #8028
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok so I am pretty new to this dual sport stuff, not that I dont know how to manage a bike off road or anything like that but I am a little perplexed as to which type of helmet I should buy.

Which do you guys prefer?

Full face like an everyday street bike?

MX for serious off road?

Other suggestions?

I currently ride the Sportster with an open face typical of Harley folks.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #8029
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
No trouble getting the bike to Laurel Fork, and there are some good paved rides around there.
I'm east of you in Preston Co, once you find a dual sport let me know if you want to come over and ride.
I've been in the Laurel Fork Area before so I am aware that you can get there relatively easily considering the location. As for the Spring Frolic, I am inclined to bring a camp to the party and haul my bike in so I have decent accommodations and a warm bed to sleep in. and I am a mere 2 1/2 hrs drive from my home.

I look forward to riding all over this great state and I getting dirty in the process on a DS bike. So I will take you up on your invite to Preston County just as soon as the bike purchase is made.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #8030
TheInfamousDrBholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
What kinda bike ya thinkin bout? If ya go really off-roadish an mx helmet with goggles works well. Anything with much highway speed i would go with something that has a face shield. I just use a typical full face street bike helmet. I got some chincy afx high vis dual sport type of helmet.... honestly hate that sucker though.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #8031
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholmes View Post
What kinda bike ya thinkin bout? If ya go really off-roadish an mx helmet with goggles works well. Anything with much highway speed i would go with something that has a face shield. I just use a typical full face street bike helmet. I got some chincy afx high vis dual sport type of helmet.... honestly hate that sucker though.

I getting pretty close to pull the trigger on a DR650.

The helmet would also serve me warmth during the cooler months so I am not sure if an mx would be ideal.

Also how much wind pull would an mx have at highway speed?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #8032
TheInfamousDrBholmes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBiker View Post
I getting pretty close to pull the trigger on a DR650.

The helmet would also serve me warmth during the cooler months so I am not sure if an mx would be ideal.

Also how much wind pull would an mx have at highway speed?
I would go with a full face street helmet with face shield. An mx helmet wouldnt pull much worse as long as you removed the visor . The primary issue with an mx helmet would be lack of wind protection. The beauty of the dual sport bikes is that it tends to be a longer season or even a year round sport for some. In the colder months the added warmth is appreciated. My main problem with helmets ends up being weight usually though. Wears on my neck after 100 or so miles if i wear my heavier lid.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #8033
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

On my dual sport I use an MX style helmet, during cold weather I stay off road more so wind protection isn't as much of a factor.
I won't use anything but a full face, either enclosed street helmet or MX with a built in chin bar.

I'm ugly enough, and I have crashed a few times and hit the chin bar hard enough that without it the results would have been bad.

I have not seen much difference in wind resistance, but I guess that depends on the helmet. Weight doesn't bother me either, but I wear a hard hat at work all day, so maybe I'm just used to it.

This http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=5 will be my next dual sport helmet.
I have one of their street helmets and have no complaints with it.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #8034
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,636
Spent the long weekend up in Slaty Fork again.

My brother's getting a 4 wheeler from a place in Elkins, and so after we left there, we went looking for some decent trails around his cabin.

There seem to be a couple areas between SF and Marlinton that may be do-able.

Can anyone chime in with info on National Forest roads...are those off limit to motorized vehicles?

Up at the top of his "neighborhood" (or whatever you'd call a small mountain with one road going all the way up), they have one of those old wooden railroads that has been turned into part of the Rails to Trails program, and we see people on bikes/4 wheelers on there sometimes. So at the very least there's that. Just trying to find any other trails in the area.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #8035
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Maybe I should just get both. Start with a full face for the cooler months, then transition over to a MX. I did see an helmet marketed as a Dual Sport helmet at Lessons in Bridgeport. The visor was built in where your goggles would go and ratcheted up and down. I think it was a Fulmer, not sure though. May drive over and check it out. Weird though as that place is clueless about DS's.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #8036
Falcon86
I just work here.

Quote:
Maybe I should just get both. Start with a full face for the cooler months, then transition over to a MX. I did see an helmet marketed as a Dual Sport helmet at Lessons in Bridgeport. The visor was built in where your goggles would go and ratcheted up and down. I think it was a Fulmer, not sure though. May drive over and check it out. Weird though as that place is clueless about DS's.

Thanks for the input.
Check out the AFX FX39. Nice because no goggles are needed and you look super legit.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #8037
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Check out the AFX FX39. Nice because no goggles are needed and you look super legit.
Yes that is the style I was looking at. I think its a good hybrid for the $
Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #8038
Falcon86
I just work here.

Quote:
Yes that is the style I was looking at. I think its a good hybrid for the $
That was my last helmet. I liked it a lot. For the price I don't think you can beat it. If you buy from one of the more reputable shops online Returns are usually free so you can guarantee proper fit. Think I ordered mine through Atomic Moto.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #8039
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

If it's rails to trails there is no motorized use.
Motos tear the shit our of the trail, and there are other places to ride.

My son and I almost got hit by a quad on the rail trail near Parsons, if I would have gotten hold of the guy I would still be in prison.

Heard him coming, was not really anywhere to go and he was hauling ass. He didn't even stop, probably for the best.

There is lots of dirt roads to ride, Forest Service roads should be ok as long as the gate is open.
Get a WV Atlas and Gazeteer, great resource for secondary roads.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #8040
Falcon86
I just work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
If it's rails to trails there is no motorized use.
Motos tear the shit our of the trail, and there are other places to ride.

My son and I almost got hit by a quad on the rail trail near Parsons, if I would have gotten hold of the guy I would still be in prison.

Heard him coming, was not really anywhere to go and he was hauling ass. He didn't even stop, probably for the best.

There is lots of dirt roads to ride, Forest Service roads should be ok as long as the gate is open.
Get a WV Atlas and Gazeteer, great resource for secondary roads.
Gotcha thanks.