ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
wrk2surf OP
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,972
Sierra Passes Thread Winter 13-14

Have posted this the last couple of years, A central thread for sierra pass condions from Bakersfield to Shasta

The National park service has closed Tioga pass in Yosemite via the website

Tioga & Glacier Point Roads Closed for the Winter

The Tioga Road (Highway 120 through the park) and Glacier Point Road are closed due to snow; they usually reopen late May or June. You can check on current road conditions by calling 209/372-0200 (press 1 then 1)

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
wrk2surf OP
BITD/Rallye

Glacier pt road opened and they have now started clearing Tioga rd today.. Im sure with the snowpack they will be done by next week.
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,416
Target date for opening Hwy 4 (Ebbetts Pass) and Hwy 108 (Sonora Pass) is Memorial Day weekend (May 24), but minimal snow fall this past winter makes an early opening likely.

As of April 11, Sonora Pass is open up to Kennedy Meadows. There is quite a bit of debris (rocks, pine cones, gravel) on the road still, so don't commit to a line you can't see.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Monitor Pass in Alpine County has been open most of the winter. I was at the east gate on Hwy 4 a couple of weeks ago and there was only a few of inches on the road past the gate, and only in the shady spots.

I think Mormon Emigrant Trail might be open but it's not on the EDNF website yet. Was up there sat. and saw cars and motorcycles heading eastbound.

Records will fall for early openings, no doubt.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
pcvance
Masters Paint & Body

Oddometer: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Have posted this the last couple of years, A central thread for sierra pass condions from Bakersfield to Shasta

The National park service has closed Tioga pass in Yosemite via the website

Tioga & Glacier Point Roads Closed for the Winter

The Tioga Road (Highway 120 through the park) and Glacier Point Road are closed due to snow; they usually reopen late May or June. You can check on current road conditions by calling 209/372-0200 (press 1 then 1)

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm
Is it winter?
Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

I retract my earlier speculation that MET might be open. The gate is open and the snow berm is gone, but there is still a lot of snow on the road. Maybe a 4WD.

I rode Sportacus up to Markleville to check out the east gate on hwy 4 and see what I could find. I saw a plow on the side of the road and while I was taking a lunch break, saw a street sweeper getting pulled out on a flatbed trailer. Looked promising.

I rode up to the gate and came upon a Caltrans worker locking it up. I innocently asked him, "How's the plowing going?" He said they were done plowing, wrapping up the sweeping, and focusing on getting all of the rocks and dirt out of the drainage ditches. I asked him when did they think the road would be open, and he said maybe tomorrow, and he heard 108 as well.

Bear in mind that's off the cuff speculation and not an official statement so take it for what it's worth.

I wasn't the only one taking a shot to see if the road was open, I ran past at least 20 other guys on bikes of all types poking around up there hoping they would get lucky. No doubt on the west side as well. I was the guy on the sportster with the bitchin white Shoei helmet.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,371
Thanks for the update.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

It's official for 4 and 108, Caltrans has updated their site. Not the historical dates on the first page but if you click the links for the individual highways. 120 is still listed as closed but probably not for long.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdlst.htm

4 and 108 were a week earlier than last year and 120 opened 5/11 so I'll guess first week of May.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
wrk2surf OP
BITD/Rallye

Tioga and Glacier Point Roads Plowing Update

Tioga Road plowing at Porcupine Flat, April 16, 2014

Tioga Road
Snow removal began on April 16, with plows reaching Porcupine Flat.

There is currently no estimated opening date for the Tioga Road. The road is closed to vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians when snow removal operations are underway.
A limited portion of Tioga Road will open to bicycles only on Saturday, April 19 at 6 am and will close at sunset Sunday, April 20. The road will be open between Crane Flat and May Lake junction (or beyond, if conditions permit; road closure signs will indicate the end of the opening). Cyclists should use caution, as they may encounter debris on the road, and should not proceed beyond the road closure signs. No services or facilities will be available.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Yup, 4 and 108 are both open. Let the fun begin.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

^ Let me guess, you beat us to it. :) The number of guys I saw up there yesterday, I'm sure it's been run multiple times already most of today.

I'll be up there Sunday. Bring raingear, there was a column of thunderheads up and down the crest today, kind of dark towards the afternoon.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #12
Bike Guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Ebbetts

yesterday four of us rode ebbetts 30 seconds after caltrans opened the gate at lake alpine. except for a short dusty section the road was in great shape and the weather also.
Bike Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #13
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,371
Rode Sonora today, a little dirt and wet above Kennedy Meadows.
Still some skiers and snowmobiles at the Pass.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:51 AM   #14
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Highways 4 and 108 are closed again because of yesterday's rain/snow.

We have another storm coming Friday, so I don't think it will be open this week.
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #15
wrk2surf OP
BITD/Rallye

Despite a few inches of snow falling, plows reached Tioga Pass yesterday. More snow plowing, ice scraping, and other work is needed before the road can open, and snow is in the forecast Thursday night through Sunday night. There is still no estimated opening date for the Tioga Road.

Tuolumne

Tioga Pass Gate