Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern

Mine (the one on the right) came in a box from Monkey Wards. My neighbor ordered it and put it together and rode it and I bought it from him in 1970 and still have it! After all the abuse it took it still runs great, and I am going to do a minor restoration this spring and use it for errands. Fun life indeed!
I have the 50cc version of the same - as you can imagine, it's a tire-burning monster. Someday I need to make it roadworthy...
Old 04-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #17
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,178
That's a gas tank on that bike Jeff!
How many miles does that thing get per tank?
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #18
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
That's a gas tank on that bike Jeff!
How many miles does that thing get per tank?
I don't know how much it holds (3 gallons maybe - it's thin), but if it achieves it's advertised milage it should go over 500 miles on a tank -I suspect that's a bit optimistic. It won't achieve the advertised 50mph unless it's downhill.

Stolen from this site:
http://www.piston.com/historical/mward.html

Riverside® Sport Bike
Jump aboard and go! Speeds up to 50 mph, 180 mpg thrift. Attractive Silver gray enamel finish and sparkling chrome trim. Black vinyl dual seat and folding foot pegs let you share the fun. 4.5 HP, 2-cycle, 50cc racing style engine.
Standard equipment: sealed beam headlight, stop-tail light, speedometer, electric horn, 2¼x18-in. tires, telescoping front fork. Spring loaded rear shock absorbers smooth out even the worst bumps. 4-speed foot-shift gear box. Expanding shoe brakes for maximum safety. Shipped partially assembled to save shipping charges. Assembly time about 30 minutes, necessary tools included. Actual weight 128 lbs. Ship. wt. 198 lbs. See license note and shipping information below.
61 B 14003R--12.50 monthly...Cash 259.00
Old 04-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #19
pinecone
任意人

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum
Don, By this thread title, I thought you were gonna show some wimmens in bras from Sears!

Booj.
That's what I remember.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #20
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff51
I have the 50cc version of the same - as you can imagine, it's a tire-burning monster. Someday I need to make it roadworthy...
Fireball 50? Twas the first bike I owned by myself (shared the Honda Z50s with my bro'). Mine was red. Given to me by a school bus driver. All I had to do was pick it up at the local Moto Guzzi dealer (Halley's in Brunswick, MD - long gone) and get it running. That little bike planted the Italian bike seed that grew into a nut (me)!
'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 AM   #21
Projectile
Map? What map?

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides

Some may enjoy seeing one of these again !

1965 Sears Gilera 106SS

It IS great seeing one of these again. It's exactly like the one I bought at a 2nd hand store (non running) for around $50 as a 13 or 14yr old kid. I rebuilt the seized/broken cables using my grandmother's kitchen stove as a soldering iron and rode the bike everywhere. Easy to start and always reliable. Great bike, great memory....THANKS!

Projectile screwed with this post 04-09-2008 at 06:39 AM
Projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #22
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer: 335
Nearly the same story as projectile...

My father found one of these in the local penny saver for $100, a 1967 Original owner with a title not sure of the miles but it was pretty low. I think that was in 1996. I was 9 and I got off the school bus one day and my dad says to me "get on some jeans I have a surprise for you". Needless to say I was exstatic!

He knew the bike was a little too tall for me so he made a low single seat and put on upside down bicycle handlebars that had a clubman bend to them. a very cool retro Cafe look that I loved at that age and has yet to leave me! This bike was made for the street and apparently could do 60 mph, so he installed a Govener that he would boastfully call a Pataki every time it was mentioned hahaha. I had no idea about this little mod til i was a few years older and mechanically inclined

Well that afternoon was the first time I ever rode a motorcycle. I hopped on, dad showed me how the clutch worked and just put it in first and told me not to try and shift it. I was super nervous but i let the clutch a few times to get the feeling until i was finally ready to depart on my epic first adventure.. around our house. There were many obstacles on the journey and I nearly nailed everyone including but not limited too my dads 22re pickup, a 300gal fuel tank, the sign for our family business, a bird house, and an apple tree. By the time I finally made it back to the drive way, where my dad and little brother stood in awe waiting for my return, I was discouraged and terrified and the bike sat in the garage for another 6 months before I touched it again.

From then on that was it, I was obsessed. We have nearly a mile long dirt road and over 250 acres of land that i was free to explore on my first real thumper! It got nearly 80 mpg I think because I rode almost every single day when there wasnt snow and I might have filled it up 3 times a year. It was on this bike I did my first Farkle, I installed a set of my dads old bicycle touring saddle bags so I could carry food, drinks, camping supplies, fireworks, toy guns, and whatever other trinkits I could find and thought might be crucial to my entourage of supplies.

She would start up first kick with everytime with our secret starting routine . I rode it hard offroad for about 5 years then I bought my first motocross bike a 94 cr125, and the gilera was handed down to my little brother who rode it for another 5 years. This whole time never skipping a beat! it still til this day has the stock road tires on it that still hold air!

A few years ago my brother and I were exploring around in our barn and decided to see if the old girl would start. She was hung up because of a broken throttle cable, clutch cable, And left foot peg. Anyways We used our trusty starting routine and what do you know, first kick fired right up! After sitting with a half tank of gas for 4 years haha.

I just recently discovered this MotoGiro race that goes on in the berkshires not to far from Albany where I live now and I have got an urge to restore the old Gilera and join in the small CC fun!! Unfortunetly because of Living in an aprartment and not having a truck this will remain a dream for a little while.

Anyways hope you guys enjoyed my little story. if any of you guys at the motogiro in april I will prob show up on my green Speed triple so keep an eye out !
RiverRatRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #23
hwy61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Another Sears Ride

Also in the catalog in 1965...

1965 Sears Allstate
Old 02-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #24
mblotz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
here is a 69 Sears SR125 i had, probably should have kept it. it was made by PUCH in austria, for some reason i had a PUCH collection back then, still have 2
Attached Images

mblotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #25
mblotz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
and a 67 monkey wards/benelli, this one was 350. should have kept this one to
Attached Images

mblotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #26
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Heres a link to my Allstate 250 made by Puch
http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture038.jpg

and another link to my Monkey Ward 350 single
http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/.../Benelli-1.jpg
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #27
Aaron_D
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
My 1966 Sears Vespa Sprint. It would've been putty white originally. Also, it's now powered by a warmed-over LML 150 reed valve engine.

Aaron_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #28
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,164
Cool! A customer has a blue 250 and about six or so MV Agusta small bore bikes. I believe his 250 is a really Benelli? I got a 150 MV of his running and now he wants to fix another one when I get time. I think that sort of stuff is neat. I have a Western Auto .22 rifle that I traded a train set for when I was in the forth grade. My favorite "badge" bikes I call them is an American Eagle 750. They were Laverda 750's with an American Eagle sticker on the tank. Where my dad worked was an American Eagle dealership. Anybody remember those? Steens too. I never did care for the Steens though.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #29
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblotz View Post
here is a 69 Sears SR125 i had, probably should have kept it. it was made by PUCH in austria, for some reason i had a PUCH collection back then, still have 2
Cool! The fins and tank said CZ Jawa to me for some reason at first glance.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #30
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZRider View Post
Fireball 50? Twas the first bike I owned by myself (shared the Honda Z50s with my bro'). Mine was red. Given to me by a school bus driver. All I had to do was pick it up at the local Moto Guzzi dealer (Halley's in Brunswick, MD - long gone) and get it running. That little bike planted the Italian bike seed that grew into a nut (me)!
Is that a MV? It looks just like a friend's MV but his is red. I bet there aren't too many of those down draft side bowl Dellorto's around any more?