ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2014, 05:42 AM   #1
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 726
Tellico Adventure Trail reports

There is a thread in "layin down tracks" that introduces the Tellico Adventure Trail, for planning, info, and .gpx file. But I figured this would be a better place for people to see the reports of those riding it. So after quite a bit of self-testing, I had some friends come up to help me give it a better test from a group standpoint. Here's the initial report copied over from the GPS tracks thread.

October 9-11, 2014

Russ, Brad, and I completed most of the three days of the TAT. Thursday not only did we complete the whole Day 1 route, but we put in more miles going down to Copperhill and back to find some hardware that went missing on Brad's WR450F. 190 miles in four seconds less than 6 hours of riding according to my computer, so we averaged almost 32 mph. Took us close to 10 real hours with planned and unplanned stops, photo ops, etc. Even though there was a bunch of rain north of us, we had a great day of weather and only ran into a little shower when we were almost back home.

So we tested the whole "there are no gas stops in the Big Frog through Cohutta Wilderness loop" warning. Brad's WR450 has a micro tank and he ran out of fuel about 75 miles. We almost made it to the Ocoee #2 powerhouse. Luckily he had me on the Austrian Super Tanker for backup. Within a few minutes he had two liters of fuel and we were back rolling again. So if you can't make about 85 miles on your tank, better have some spare fuel.

First gravel we hit was up toward Oswald Dome and over to Benton Mountain/Chilhowee Mountain. Still cloudy and foggy down low, clear upper elevations.

We were on DR650, WR450F, and 640ADV

Still foggy down below by the time we got to Ocoee River overlook. Our destination in the background..

Beautiful in N. Georgia too.

pondering what good are small tanks??

they are good for borrowing gas on the side of the road...

rain finally moving in from the west, from Buck Bald

Russ and I had a moment of miscommunication, not paying attention at the right thing at the right time, and to avoid hitting me, took a digger. Banged up his foot, but nothing some Advil, beer, and Angel's Envy couldn't apparently cure. Still rode the next two days!

10 October 2014
Even though it was a high percentage of rain for today, and there was a LOT of rain to the north of us, it didn't rain here until later in the afternoon. We got some great riding in. From Starr Mountian to Candy Mountain NC back to McFarland and Smith Mountain and then back to Joe Brown Hwy (NC) through Unicoi Gap before making it home. The only part of the trail we didn't do was Witt Road. Somebody had taken enough beating on the rocky trails and was "done" for the day. We again average about 32 mph on my computer, so figure another 6 hours of riding time.

Lesson learned, soften your suspension up if you don't want to get beat to death, these are not roads for stiff motocross or road bike damping settings.

We "discovered" a great gas station to take care of micro tank issues for this day's ride. Just south of Farner on Hwy 68 (intersection with Hall Road) is the Jett Mart. 100% gas, 87 and 93 octane. It's about 1/2 south of where the track turns onto Pine Ridge Road on the way to Candy Mountain. And is then again very close to where the trail is going back north after the McFarland/Smith Mtn area. We filled up the micro tank each time here, and were well within the 75 mile capacity. Plus they were very nice at the store, even with some hot food for lunch.

Up to Starr Mtn overlook

Nice view from Starr Mountain, over Rural Vale, looking toward NC.

I've been accused of being a ride "slave driver".. must be true, we took no pictures on the great little "supermoto" loop down to Candy Mountain NC and back.. Too much fun twisting throttles and scrubbing off tires I guess.

cool shot looking out of the ruins at McFarland

Went down to the Apalachia Powerhouse. The suspension bridge is getting refurbished, looking very spiffy indeed.

We relaxed most of the evening playing pool and listening to The Who Quadrophenia (live from London 2013).

11 October 2014
The rain had moved in pretty good overnight, with a lot still streaming out of the Gulf, and straight toward us. Or so the radar indicated anyway. The mountains do kinda make their own weather here. So after a leisurely breakfast, a visit to Tellico Grains, and figuring we better get out there since the cruiser riders were actually out riding, we headed out about 1030 or so. Time line was to be back in time for the MS State football game, since that's where Brad went to school, and played ball.

We did much of the Day 3 track, just not the NC part. The roads were wet all day, but we never got rained on, kinda strange. We went up to Whigg Meadow, then went back to Green Cove for a hot dog. Up to the top of Beaver Dam Road. When we rode the big group up there at the E TN meet and eat, there was a LOT of loose gravel. Today the gravel was pushed into two tracks (pretty high fluffy center and edges) and you could really move along, as long as you stayed in the wheel tracks. Was pretty squirrely in spots if you changed lanes. We went back down to Green Cove and took Bald River Rd (126) to Wildcat Rd (384), then back to the house. We got there not too long after 1530, and Brad enjoyed watching MS State kick Auburn's ass.

If you think about riding from Tellico Plains, up to NC, back to Green Cove, up to top, back to Green Cove then back to Tellico via the gravel you'll prolly realize it was more than 75 miles...in flight refueling required...

Tellico Grains

Lots of people out bear hunting this week, even the whole family.

Along North River Rd

Refueling along the way was inevitable today. Prices go up as does the elevation and demand.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Russ posted this follow up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsgs View Post
Kyle what can I say but the whole thing was awesome. First day was just as you would expect if Kyle's leading, balls to the wall and take a quick peak then keep your head down and keep on haulin. Oh what's he pointing at with his foot?...OH Sh--! Man that ground hurts! Nothing AE's wings couldn't take care of though.

Day two was spent a little slower for me but the roads and sites were great. Although I kept hearing someone's mantra (man my ass hurts). Brad's a trooper because there is no way that I could have done the distance on that brick of a seat.

Last day was "classic" sun light through the fall colored trees and sticky gravel roads after a morning rain. Can't really put the adventure into words... I guess you will have to visit the Farmhouse Inn and experience the TAT yourself. Brad enjoyed hearing you whine and bunking together. Kyle and Laura thanks for a terrific home base!

Old 10-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #3
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Brad posted this follow-up.. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerndirt View Post
Okay Baggi-TERD enough of me and my Microtank WR450 on my maiden adventure voyage. You failed to mention the 2x4ish seat and my achy monkey butt arse. I will rectify some these hindrances in the coming months as motorcycle funds become available.

At any rate, it was an awesome trip and some really fun riding. Weather was good, loops were good, and smart arse riding partners were the best. I tend to agree with Baggi-TERD though about a late November or early December ride of the TAT. Temps should not be too cold and you should be able to see much more of the mountains and distant views. Unless your riding with/following Baggi-TERD who never really slows down or stops for any site seeing. Heck, even Russ was grateful for the WR450 Microtank refueling stops so we could take a break from time to time. That is the only reason we got any breaks.

It was a really fun trip ! ( except for that one rocky ass part that made me go for a bit ) Ha !

Old 10-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
tellicotom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Thumb Gas on Big Frog Loop

Thanks for sharing the tracks!

There is gas just off the Big Frog loop. If you are doing the loop clockwise from Thunder rock campground you pass near Conasauga Lake and are FR17. I go off my map for a little bit, so going off memory, I think you stay on 17 until you come to a T at the bottom of the hill, there is a little kiosk and Forest Service building almost directly across from the T.

If you make a right, you continue the loop and come to Cotton patch Horse Camp and the Conasauga River bridge. Anyway , if you make the left at that T and go about 5 miles (just follow main road downhill) you will come out on US 411 and a gas station is right there. Nice folks and n interesting stop. We were there back in the summer and the locals were selling watermelons with samples, MNM, MNM good!
tellicotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellicotom View Post
Thanks for sharing the tracks!

There is gas just off the Big Frog loop. If you are doing the loop clockwise from Thunder rock campground you pass near Conasauga Lake and are FR17. I go off my map for a little bit, so going off memory, I think you stay on 17 until you come to a T at the bottom of the hill, there is a little kiosk and Forest Service building almost directly across from the T.

If you make a right, you continue the loop and come to Cotton patch Horse Camp and the Conasauga River bridge. Anyway , if you make the left at that T and go about 5 miles (just follow main road downhill) you will come out on US 411 and a gas station is right there. Nice folks and n interesting stop. We were there back in the summer and the locals were selling watermelons with samples, MNM, MNM good!
Thanks for the info, perhaps St. Clair's gas station in Cisco GA? It's where "old hwy 2" meets up with 411. about 3 miles off the loop?

Old 11-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

impromptu 14-16 November ride

A friend of mine from MS wants to get in one last dirt ride this year, so he's coming up next Thursday. We will ride at least Friday through Sunday, 14 to 16 November. Anybody else that wants to come is welcome

Old 11-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
666april
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Do you have any specific roads planned? Meeting spots? Times?

A few friends and I will be down there this weekend looking for some back roads. Hoping the weather doesn't do us in!
666april is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #8
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666april View Post
Do you have any specific roads planned? Meeting spots? Times?

A few friends and I will be down there this weekend looking for some back roads. Hoping the weather doesn't do us in!
Not hard to find backroads here.. The meeting spot is the Farmhouse Inn, that's where I live and where my buddies will be too! No time schedule or exact routing as of yet, but we'll be on mostly gravel with a few back roads for sure, riding enduros don't ya know. We'll be somewhere in the Citico Creek, Bald River Gorge, Starr Mtn, Kimsey Mtn, Big Frog Wilderness areas. I'm guess we won't be setting the world ablaze on Friday to get going, but Saturday and Sunday will be a better day temp-wise too.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

While it WAS cold Friday and Saturday, the sun was out, skies clear, and the roads were mostly clear. The frozen leaves were pretty slick though, and the icy mudhole every now and then.

About 3100 feet or so (Doublecamp Rd), there was thick ice on the trees.

On Saturday that ice was melting off and falling on the ground, almost looked like it had snowed (Beaver Dam Rd).

Richard on his KTM 690R

Unfortunately for me, while checking out a trail between N. River Rd and the Cherohala Skyway, I got "upside down" and have twisted and injured my knee pretty good. Of course the battle bike pretty much made it through unscathed, think the only damage was the tab broke off the choke lever. Thank God for riding buddies that come back to look for your dumb ass.

Baggi'tard screwed with this post 11-16-2014 at 08:59 AM
Old 11-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggi'tard View Post
Unfortunately for me, while checking out a trail between N. River Rd and the Cherohala Skyway, I got "upside down" and have twisted and injured my knee pretty good. Of course the battle bike pretty much made it through unscathed, think the only damage was the tab broke off the choke lever. Thank God for riding buddies that come back to look for your dumb ass.
Ouch! That sounds pretty bad. I hope you recover soon. Best of luck!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #11
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Tellico Frozen Nuts Tour

Annual Frozen Nuts Tour of Tellico..Last Friday and Saturday from the Farmhouse Inn in Tellico Plains, TN.

We left the Farmhouse Friday morning at 29 degrees F! As usual Kyle was kind enough to lead the whole group which consisted of ...me!

First day was all I could do to keep up with Kyle without crashing..He was going so fast that I didn't get to see any sights until we got higher up in elevation and ran into these beautiful views of frozen dew on the trees!

This is what it looked like up close:

It really got interesting on Saturday morning. When we left it was 25 degrees F..Perfect Adventure weather but soon we ran into this!

And this!

Kyle demonstrating proper ice riding techniques..

This is what we rode through all morning!

It was all absolutely beautiful! We actually did not get cold during the ride..only our hands and feet did! We stopped to warm hands about every 20 minutes..

It warmed up later in the day and Kyle wanted to explore a two-track he had never been on before..Sure! Lets go! It turned out to be about the most difficult woods road (only a trail in the leaves in places) I had ever been on with my 690 Enduro R..This was for sure not a good big bike trail! Steep, rocky, muddy, frozen, rutted..what more could you want! I followed Kyle until he decided the trail was not technical enough and ventured off piste into the forest proper..I elected not to follow..That is when the real adventure began!

Anyway it was a fantastic ride, where-ever-the-hell we went, Thanks to Kyle and the Farmhouse Inn for this awesome tour! I can't wait till it gets a little colder!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:19 AM   #12
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Frozen Nuts Tour

Oh..this pic...It was NOT a vulgar gesture..I was just showing Kyle that all my fingers had frozen off except one!