Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #166
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Do me (us?) a huge favor and please hit us up here with a link when you get a full ride report going. I don't check in on that part of the message board very often and I'd hate to miss it.
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #167
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,176
don't know if i'll do a ride report-i'm not much on that stuff. let's just say it was a grand adventure and that deal in montana was only one incident of many. that many miles and you would have to figure things were going to happen. i was prepared for most, but not all the blood on the side of the road in BC, for instance. people said i looked like i'd been shot.

i'll make some comments on the bike and send tony a few pix if he wants to put them up in here. the bike got lots of attention whenever i stopped, especially with the TKCs on it. only one guy from calgary was able to tell me exactly what was done on the bike.

bike-people were very amused when i said what i was building and where i intended to go. they assumed that it wasn't up to the ride. too light, too fragile, high rev motor, and on and on. well, they were very wrong. the bike performed beautifully, like it was designed to do. i put in new plugs and changed the oil-that was the engine prep for the trip. i changed the oil again mid trip and put on a new chain. the old chain died prematurely because of all those muddy roads. i ran 15/50 mobile 1 and the engine did not use a drop. the bike could cruise 80 effortlessly and was amazing on the gravel. i think it could run with about anything other than a dedicated dirt bike on those roads. plenty of hp and throttle response, you could lighten the front end in any gear and just sail over most of the nasty stuff. had a mud clogged radiator on the dalton despite the guard, a stress crack in the corner of my shop built aluminum gravel guard (can't figure that out), some loose bolts despite loctite blue, and that's it. no other mechanical issues despite riding that bike hard in challenging places and conditions. i had my aux lights on a completely seperate circuit and switch-this design paid off when i lost my main lights in that montana knock down. this bike turned out to be one tough snorty little beast-very few bikes could have been pounded back into shape and then ridden another 2500 miles.

tires-i ran tourance and tkc-130/80 front and 150/70 rear for both sets. the tourance were changed in watson lake both going up and coming down. both tires did a great job. the rear tkc was shot when i got back to watson lake and the rear tourance was shot when i got home. it has a big ass tractor tire patch on it anyway (part of the story). the fronts in both tires are still at about 60% and i brought the 130/80 tkc home. both tires did exactly what i hoped they would do and they come with my highest recommendation. people say that they run the big gravel up there on street tires-by all means, be my guest. not this boy. that said, i ended up on hundreds of miles of gravel while running the tourances. some planned and some not. some dry, some snow, some goat trails. more stories there.

fuel-unless you have a model with a generous size main tank and good fuel economy, there is no question about the need to carry fuel. there are known places without fuel like the dalton and dempster and these can be planned for, but there are also plenty of places you can get surprised. additionally, you can get caught in fierce headwinds that make a big difference in your range. figure out how to carry the fuel safely. you can see my design in the photo. the containers are enclosed in 10ga steel mounts, and the mounts are set inboard of the cases. in my design i did not consider that the cover of the case would get sheared off and expose the container mount. that's what happened. my bike got as low as 30 and as high as 50, so it was a constant game anticipating the fuel window. a gps helps with this quite a bit.

it's a great time up there. those who have been know it, while others can take my word. go if you can because it's changing rapidly. take a bike that you can run on what i call "the big gravel". you miss so much if you don't. the bike will get beat up, and you might too, but it's hard to find more legal fun than that ride. lastly, plan your route so you stay off the alaska highway where ever you can-there are better ways to go.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #168
chiefjpo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hey JDrocks,

Tell me about what suspension you used? I just found a Green 08, cheap....
chiefjpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #169
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

ran the versys front. you need the whole thing including the bar riser. bolts right in. rear shock might be versys also. it's longer than stock, heavier spring and has damping adjustment-showa brand. you need to change the front cables and brake line if you go this route. if you run the 130/80 front you need to raise the fender and add a longer crossover brake line. if you have the parts on hand, the whole switch is a half day job. then the fun starts. the sport bike engine needs nothing and has more hp and torque than the detuned versys engine. the bike handles very well with the big tires and i could scuff close to the chickens-not all the way-but close, even with all the junk loaded on the back.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #170
chiefjpo
Adventurer

did you use the versys because of tubeless and dual calipers? I would like to get away from the 17in front, but all thumper front ends are single caliper, and vstroms forks are larger, and i don't know what would have to be done to make the trees work? Did you consider any other rears, Any thoughts on atv rear shock?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #171
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

yes, i wanted tubeless wheels and big brakes. i've had occasion to be glad i had both. the 130/80/17 is about the same diameter as a conventional 19 tire/wheel combo. i'm not the first person to run this, so i was pretty sure it would work and it turned out to work very well. the easiest way to run a 19 front is to do what tony did on his. i don't think the bike needs a different rear tire/wheel-the 150/70/17 works fine. i don't know anything about atv shocks. the shock i used pretty much just bolts right in.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #172
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,114
I might have missed something, but how do you correct the reduced side-to-side steering in sport bikes and cruisers, for sharper turning?
ABHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #173
tonymorr OP
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan
I might have missed something, but how do you correct the reduced side-to-side steering in sport bikes and cruisers, for sharper turning?
Mine doesn't turn as sharp as my CRF but it's not too bad. This point is however a good one. If I used beefier USD forks I would have had to increase the offset built into the triple clamps. (ie:would have had to make my own) Most USD forks also have leading axles. These two items would have altered the geometry. Mostly the trail.
It may sound like I know what I'm talking about but I just barely grasp these principles and what effect they have. I knew that using the KLR forks would raise the front enough to give me the approximate rake of a KLR. I was right, I ended up with 28 degrees rake and ~4.2" trail.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #174
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,114
I'm not a bike geometry scientist either, just was looking at the ninja, then the klr, and wondering if that was a problem. I love the mutant ninja idea though, would like to have one myself one day.
ABHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #175
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,090
sweeeet
Old 08-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #176
chiefjpo
Adventurer

ok question

anyone know if lower fork legs are switchable particulatly on the 09 klr, in other works could i get a extra lower with the caliper mounts, and have caliper mounts on both sides? ie klr suspension with dual calipers, and tubeless?
Old 08-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #177
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

try asking the klr guys in the thumper section. from the schematic, i don't see why the leg wouldn't fit the tube. don't know if there would be offset issues for the caliper mount.

good question. if you find out post back here.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #178
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

mine has the versys front, so there's a little info on the build and a few ride report excerpts towards the end of this thread over there-

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1580

the bike will really run on that gravel.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #179
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,085
Guys, I've been riding a KLR for years and just put a Versys in the stable beside it two days ago.

Maybe if I spike their coolant they'll get together and a bastard child will emerge...

But it won't hold a candle to what you've done here.

Holy Crap...these bikes are BEAST...

Badass like a frikkin' Liger or something...

Nicely done

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #180
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

i've had a huge number of guys ask me about the mods. sooner or later there are going to be posts popping up with photos of other inmates versions of these bikes.

not real hard to do.