Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #181
Knuck
Clarkson Street Rat

Oddometer: 63
Wink

Hopefully sooner.

My er6n is new and so am I. If I went and put on knobbies I'd be drivin' past dirt roads and trails and the pipeline thinking "I wonder whats down there?". That'd be fine if I had other guys to ride with or was somewhere with cell service. I don't and I'm not, but, all in good time. I'm slowly picking away at it. I'll post as I go.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:16 AM   #182
tonymorr OP
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
i've had a huge number of guys ask me about the mods. sooner or later there are going to be posts popping up with photos of other inmates versions of these bikes.

not real hard to do.
Cool! I think everybody should have one I know of another inmate who took a Ninja 650 in trade on another bike with intentions of making a mutant. He said he rode it and it was too much of a slug for him so he sold it before doing any mods. Everytime I ride mine I think of his comment. He must have had one spark plug wire off or something because MY bike is a freakin hoot!
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:43 AM   #183
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,105
a "slug"? WTF?

ride a gravel road, jerk the throttle bodies open on that engine, get a freakin' heart attack!
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #184
tonymorr OP

Quote:
a "slug"? WTF?

ride a gravel road, jerk the throttle bodies open on that engine, get a freakin' heart attack!
One thing I like about it is that it has pretty good power right off idle and it's very controlable. Then hit 7k RPM and it takes off. This little motor makes 48.5 ft-lb of torque @ 7k RPM. That's not too shabby for the displacement. In a ~400 lb bike it's a joy.

I take this back road in the morning. Pretty much only when I ride the Mutant because it's a little broken up. It has a bunch of rises in it. In 4th gear I hit 7k and 70 mph and loft the front end over them. It makes the 24 mile ride to work bearable. Funny thing...... she doesn't like making that last right hand turn (the one into the driveway at work).
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
Old 08-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #185
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

that's exactly my experience riding those rough roads. the engine makes enough power and the throttle response is so good that you can lighten the front end and just sail over washboard/potholes even in 5 and 6th. this is with stock engine and gearing.

on the gravel, the bike will run right past the big displacement boat anchors with the little round badges.

if i rode that bike to work, i'd never get a thing accomplished. i'd be lookin' out the window all day...except when i was watchin' the clock. i'd be dreamin' about gravel roads...places to go.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #186
tonymorr OP

Quote:
if i rode that bike to work, i'd never get a thing accomplished. i'd be lookin' out the window all day...except when i was watchin' the clock. i'd be dreamin' places to go.
I have that stairing out the window problem a little more when I ride the VFR....she's just so purdy

Sorry, a bit off topic.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
Old 08-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #187
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Gravel Guard

there's a narrative and a couple photos of the gravel guard that was fabricated for the bike over here-

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?t=1580&page=6

if you design and fabricate your own, come back with some photos.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:06 PM   #188
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Check THIS one out! Yeowza! http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2107
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #189
PropellerHead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
jdrock: I like my Versys but I'd like to make it a bit more off road capable. I see that you put Versys forks on your bike. Did you do anything to the forks or are they stock? I find mine to be a bit harsh when things get bumpy.
PropellerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:26 PM   #190
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,022
Awesome builds guys! I can't believe I haven't noticed or been directed to this thread before.
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #191
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve
More pics of this bike here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501343
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #192
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
nice..

Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #193
Sir Vesa
Presently damaged, again.

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragerbon
nice..

That is freakin' rad!!
Sir Vesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #194
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
there's a narrative and a couple photos of the gravel guard that was fabricated for the bike over here-

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?t=1580&page=6

if you design and fabricate your own, come back with some photos.
JD, I just went and checked out that thread. Do you have more pictures of your bike and mods somewhere on here? That forum is one of those that won't let you see the pics unless you register.

By the way, I think you and Tony have inspired me to think about one of these after my current project is complete. Then I'll have two mutants!
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #195
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

i put up no pix other than the two forums, although i now see links to photos of both bikes coming from other places. you could just sign up over there-doesn't cost anything. there are some photos over there that aren't on ADV. i still need that smugmug thing.

getting ready to start another build using the same platform. i pretty much know what i want it to look like, but i need to work out some details. i still think it's better to start with the sportbike rather than the versys if you want to build something like these bikes. the sportbike is cheap and has the stronger version of the 650 engine. i've had many inquiries from guys who want to take a versys the direction of my 650r-that's fine if you already have a versys-otherwise start with the much less expensive used sportbike.

my new bike will also be a gravel runner and not a single tracker.

again, hats off to tony for this thread. he got a lot of people thinking about building around this very capable platform. i'm just one of the copycats.