Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #241
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,933
those mounting lugs on the side of the oil pan must be pretty strong. i've put a floor jack under the gravel guard and lifted the whole bike quite a few times. on the ninja there's a bracket on both sides for the lower fairing mount. i've seen the fairings trashed and the bracket bent, but the lugs were intact.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #242
Ednukey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
-BENRON
I believe you and I are on the same page and saying the same thing. I was just attempting to expand upon what you were saying, but did so very poorly since my language wasn't consistent with yours. Sorry about the confusion.
In short: whatever mounts a skidplate to the pan should be assured of being "weaker" than the mounting points on the pan.

An integrated rubber or urethane sandwiched mount would definitely be a pretty sweet addition, for sure - always great when something flexible can deform and prevent the need to buy/make new parts.

-jdrocks
I don't doubt those mounting points on the stock pan are quite strong, for a static load. I am just wary of mounting to any cast AL parts. Non-moto experience has left me with very little faith in cast AL parts - particularly those that don't have a "continuous form" (like a wheel) - when it comes to impulse forces. Irregular castings (like oil pans, with all their sharp transitions in thickness and shape, etc.) seem to be much more subject to brittle fracture in general, since they have no real ability to momentarily deform (or possibly subject to casting flaws, as well) - particulary concerning for me when they contain fluids vital to the life of the machine.

Also, your gravel-guard had the advantage of being mounted to the crash bars up front, so the load was distributed from that point, all the way to the pan - similar to the distributed load likely provided by the fairing setup. So, you definitely have something superior to that aftermarket guard.

Inspired by your design, I've been trying to come up with something simple for the V that mounts solely to the SW-Motech crash bars using only clamps. I just need the free time with the bike, that isn't spent riding the bike.

BTW, are you going to re-use your previous skidplate? It didn't appear to be in your most recent build pics.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what Tony comes up with.
Ednukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:59 AM   #243
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

i'm not sure if i'm going to reuse that guard or not. the bike needs something there for gravel roads.

i did have the front of the gravel guard mounted to the motech engine guards, but i'm not sure that design was a success. the design of a gravel guard/skid plate for this bike is not as simple as it looks.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #244
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I purchased a new Versys two weeks ago and have only put 25 miles on it so far, but I have started the conversion, rear fender cut down, decals removed and a few other small adjustments. This is from day 2

The new fender and headlight cover arrived a week later.

Today my new tank arrived.

I still need the headlight bucket, fender & fairing brackets and a few other things. I found the tank on fleabay as I did not want to screw up my original stuff, I will be grinding off the tabs and will not be using the Versys fairing, more to come...
Old 02-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #245
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

The grinder, dremel, wire wheel, sand paper and several hours later produced this.

I will be filling the in the small bracket hole to be flush and the larger bracket space that looks like a door handle, I am not sure if I will be the one that does that part.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #246
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

A little mock-up, nothing is remotely complete.

I really like how it looks when your sitting on it, it reminds me of my dirt bike
Old 02-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #247
zenrydr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Wow!

Yup, the more I look at these, the more I think that this is what I'll be doing this spring! Tonymorr, I have talked to JDrocks & would like your opinion as well. I asked JD about what I should do to change a 650r to dual-sport. I do not want any height added. JD mentioned that all I need to do is, take off fairings, install headlights, (Buell), add bar risers, install different handlebars, change tires and pretty much it?!
(I'm 5'4 & a half gal, who has a 30' inseam that weighs only 110 pounds.)
I want to do long trips across country, as well as light to medium dirt/gravel roads with this bike.
Do you agree? Do you have any other info to add?
Thanks, I would appreciate any advice on this project.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #248
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragerbon
A little mock-up, nothing is remotely complete.

I really like how it looks when your sitting on it, it reminds me of my dirt bike
what year is that husky beak from?
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #249
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

The front fender is from the SM610, they are all the same. (2005-2009) I cut the back half off to use it on the Versys.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:16 AM   #250
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenrydr
Yup, the more I look at these, the more I think that this is what I'll be doing this spring! Tonymorr, I have talked to JDrocks & would like your opinion as well. I asked JD about what I should do to change a 650r to dual-sport. I do not want any height added. JD mentioned that all I need to do is, take off fairings, install headlights, (Buell), add bar risers, install different handlebars, change tires and pretty much it?!
I want to do long trips across country, as well as light to medium dirt/gravel roads with this bike.
if you want the low seat height, then you're not going to do all the suspension mods you see here. changing the suspension puts the bike in the 34"+ range.

the other option is to sit on the ER6N which is the unfaired version of the Ninja 650R (ER6F). the ER6N is available in Canada and you could easily make a few changes on that model, like bars and tires.

pm me your email and i'll send you a photo of a gal exactly your size sitting on my version so you can get an idea of how it fits.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #251
tonymorr OP
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenrydr
Sorry it took so long to respond. For your situation I would agree with JD. Strip it, DS tires, revalve the forks and a better shock if you can. Here is a pic of my 17" front supermoto wheel from my WR250R with a Shinko 705 120/90-17 tire standing next to my 19" front on the Mutant. Not much difference in height.

tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #252
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

I am still waiting on a few things but the new exhaust arrived today, I found it online for $389.+ 15.00 for shipping. I am still waiting on trail tech headlight, fender brackets, shinko 705`s and some warm weather to complete the tank.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #253
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve
Did some hunting. Here's JD's bike from post #126 in this thread. Dude that totally freaking AWSOME!! Now get us some travel pics dammit!!

So BUELLs aren't good enough for you but their parts are?
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:54 AM   #254
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

you mean build a rat ninja rather than ride a buell? i hadn't given it much thought, but if it will make you feel better, i'm down to one buell part the second time around. new 19" front with the versys suspension and it gets a small rally fairing this time. will be on the road by the end of the month.

new build here, mixed in with a ride report
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5480

what i'm really waiting for is tony to park the sleds and get busy. tony, you frozen in up there? let's see the trick suspension, skid plate, etc, etc.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #255
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

I have instaled the pipe w/o baffle, it sounds awsome...not too loud with a deep roar. I don`t know if I really like the current location of the exhaust, that may change . I have recieved the fender brackets, they are installed, cut and bent to the shape of the husky fender (they are perfect for this application), I have not drilled the holes in the fender to permanently hold it in place yet as I am waiting on the Trail tech light and may need another set of brackets.
Long term mods..I am looking at MX type forks. (I think I just enjoy tearing things apart)

A small sound bite of the Yoshimura exhaust W/O baffle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajk72o_n_LA

tragerbon screwed with this post 03-16-2010 at 03:51 AM
tragerbon is offline   Reply With Quote