User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #256
SteelHorseRider
Not part of the solution

Oddometer: 121
Huh?

Where do you live that you need three locks on the bike? Get a shotgun - ammo is cheap.

Free Tibet
R 1200 GS (2005)
SteelHorseRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:18 AM   #257
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHorseRider
Where do you live that you need three locks on the bike? Get a shotgun - ammo is cheap.
I have owned around 20 automobiles and a dozen bikes, I`ve only lost one when I was very young, locks and guns are part of my SOP, I even have a remote alarm on my garage door . I tend to go out of town alot and feel better with everything secure.
Houston Tx.

I have changed the pic for your viewing pleasure.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #258
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks

tony, you frozen in up there? let's see the trick suspension, skid plate, etc, etc.
Dang jdrocks,

Between you, tonymorr and now tragerbon, we are getting some great examples of bike building that puts the simple ass customs of TV fame to shame. The custom builders are good, don't get me wrong, but I really prefer bikes that can be ridden. The "mutant Ninjas" and Versys builds are very cool
Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #259
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragerbon
I have instaled the pipe w/o baffle, it sounds awsome...not too loud with a deep roar. I don`t know if I really like the current location of the exhaust, that may change . I have recieved the fender brackets, they are installed, cut and bent to the shape of the husky fender (they are perfect for this application), I have not drilled the holes in the fender to permanently hold it in place yet as I am waiting on the Trail tech light and may need another set of brackets.
Long term mods..I am looking at MX type forks. (I think I just enjoy tearing things apart)

A small sound bite of the Yoshimura exhaust W/O baffle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajk72o_n_LA

That bike of your looks great!

What are you guys going to do about the oil drain plug sticking down,bash plates or what?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #260
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillupright
Dang jdrocks,

Between you, tonymorr and now tragerbon, we are getting some great examples of bike building that puts the simple ass customs of TV fame to shame. The custom builders are good, don't get me wrong, but I really prefer bikes that can be ridden. The "mutant Ninjas" and Versys builds are very cool
glad you like the builds. it's an inexpensive way to get a custom ride.

don't forget, tony lead the way here. when he comes back with his finished bike build, the bar will most likely be raised once again.

tony's concept was and is to build a dual sport around the 650R platform. i know there have been a number of ninja bikes built based on tony's original work. since tony said that he hopes everyone builds one, i don't feel too bad admitting that i stole his idea.

as far as riding them...lordy, these things will fly. the ninja motor has the rocket tune.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #261
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I would have to say my inspiration is from the German guy "Beda" on er-6n-forum.de who created this bike.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #262
Robb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
headlight options ...

Firstly, this has been one of my all time favorite ADV threads - even before I picked up my 2008 650R on Saturday morning :)

Found a great, low mile example, all stock excepting a pipe with DB-killer installed (so it doesn't sound obnoxious). Only thing I dislike (despise, really) about the bike is the handlebar bend; I've got an LSL on the way.

At any rate, I'm not going so far with mine as to dual-sport it, but I do want to get rid of the front fairing in it's entirety, and replace it with a headlight unit and a functional plexiglass fairing. My wife's car died last week, and I convinced her we'd be better off if I commuted on a decent bike for the next 8 months or so, instead of buying another old POS car. Point is, this bike will be my commuter, playbike, and all that good stuff, rain or shine. I'll need the wind/rain protection.

There's lots out there in terms of headlights ... I'm wondering whether anyone has any advice re: the hookups, that is, what types of headlight units will plug in w/o hassle to the 650R harness. My fave unit on the market is the LSL "Urban" unit, but at $450 it's pricey. I like the Monster 696 unit. The Aprilia Shiver has a nice looking headlight too.

What I'm trying to say is, I'd like something that'll interface reasonably well with the stock wiring, and provide all the goodness and functionality of the stock headlights. Any thoughts or other options welcome, and I hope I didn't just hijack this thread ...

Robb Z
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #263
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,853
pick a light...any light, it won't have connectors to plug right into the ninja harness, but wiring it up is pretty easy. new signals also.

you real problem is the light mount and finding a fairing that will work with your light. i wouldn't call the small fairing on the available combo units "functional".

or fabricate your own mounts...

then make your own fairing...

jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 AM   #264
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,029
Always looking for a new project this looks great.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:53 AM   #265
tonymorr OP
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
I am still here. I've had a bunch of other stuff going on over the winter and didn't really get anything changed on The Mutant. I did order an Elka shock which should be shipping any day.

The next thing that I'm going to work on is the footpeg location. I studied and pondered last night and I think I came up with a plan. More on that when I get started on it.......
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #266
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,487
Was the elka shock same length as stock? I finally got my Ninja on the road.

sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #267
tonymorr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh
I saw that. Very cool. What did you use for a shock?

I ordered a Versys shock so it will have about 1/2 more travel and length. It's also adjustable for length but I am only after more travel. I like it kinda low.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #268
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh
What rear hub?
Which forks?
What shock?

mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #269
tonymorr OP

Footpegs:

I want the center of the pegs to be about where the tip of the brake pedal/shifter tips are now. I hopped on the bike and lightly rested my feet there last night and it felt about right. I only had to go out and look at my WR250R to get some ideas. Looks like it would be easy to adapt the peg setup. I'll just need to weld on a flat mounting surface to the bottom section of the frame. I think I can use the WR brake pedal as well. Figuring out the shifter will be the hardest part of the deal. Here's a closeup of the WR pegs.

Nice thing is that the peg brackets from Yamaha are about $7.00!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #270
tonymorr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
What rear hub?
Which forks?
What shock?

If you are asking me I think the answers are all here somewhere.

Short and quick answers:

Stock rear wheel
08 KLR forks
Elka shock for a Kawasaki Versys custom valved for my weight and riding style