Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #286
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRider
As always the Versys Project depicted here is awesome...
you mean the Ninja (ER6F, 650R, EX650, etc.) Project don't you?
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #287
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

(noob double poster at work)
Old 03-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #288
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobbik
Thanks jdrock and sanjoh for the input. I think it is obviously the simplest solution to swap out the entire frontend. While there is the option to put DRZ400 legs (49mm) with spacers into the versys clamps, I
it's not quite that simple. the ER6 and versys use the same short stem, so while it seems possible to use the versys clamps at 50/52mm with different forks, the problem is matching up the length of the mounting surfaces, including the relatively short lower mounting boss common on modern usd outer fork tubes.

i sent the versys measurements off to a guy that has his hands on a bunch of different fork sets to see if anything matched the mounting surfaces or was even close. he said no. i don't know if that is the last word on the subject, but it pointed me a different direction.

if you follow sanjoh's solution for a longer travel usd suspension, something along those lines is best. in longer travel conventional forks, tony's is best.

if you just want a very modest travel usd fork set on the ER6, the versys set is easiest.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:21 PM   #289
tobbik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
it's not quite that simple. the ER6 and versys use the same short stem, so while it seems possible to use the versys clamps at 50/52mm with different forks, the problem is matching up the length of the mounting surfaces, including the relatively short lower mounting boss common on modern usd outer fork tubes.
Again, thanks for your input. My admittedly naive assumption was based on writup of a supermoto conversion by putting a DRZ400S fork onto an SV650 (ab)using GSXR 1000 USD clamps with spacers as shown here . I just looked at the size of the Versys clamps and the DRZ400S clamps and they looked similar, and so does the distance between between the clamps looks comparable, actually longer on the versys so I figured I'd be safe. But then, you actually did build a bike and I'm just pondering so far ...

I'm trying to understand the terminology you used. Does the mounting surface refers strictly to the area where the clamps embrace and touch the trees. Or are you refering to the distance between the upper and the lower clamp, that determins the lever force created by the rake angle?

The reason I'm looking into this setup is that I like the idea of a big conventional fork on the Versys. And thanks to the popularity of the supermoto stuff, the 320mm ECB rotor with the adapter bracket makes for excellent stopping power as a bolt on solution. After spacers for the axle width offset that is, of cause. No free lunch when mixing and matching I guess.
tobbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:30 PM   #290
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

confusion here-

are you building a versys or a ninja? you want usd forks, but then say you like conventional forks.

metric tape, digital caliper, and notepad. start measuring.

once you start looking at the various forks, you'll see exactly what i'm talking about and can go from there.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #291
tobbik
Adventurer

Quote:
confusion here-

are you building a versys or a ninja? you want usd forks, but then say you like conventional forks.

metric tape, digital caliper, and notepad. start measuring.

once you start looking at the various forks, you'll see exactly what i'm talking about and can go from there.
Sorry about the mix up. I am looking at getting a ninja/er6n because they are cheaper. As you pointed out that's one important aspect of using that platform. But I do like more suspension. I would like a conventional fork, preferably oversized like the DRZ but I guess all I get from that are just better looks and a whole lot more work/trouble. For a budget build the KLR trees are the way to go.

I may get around getting some measurements next week but so far I'm actually taking your word for this conversion being a bad idea. Darn it would have looked nice!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #292
tonymorr OP
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,452
Quote:
For a budget build the KLR trees are the way to go.
KLR trees? Will they work?
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:57 AM   #293
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
I would like a conventional fork, preferably oversized like the DRZ but I guess all I get from that are just better looks and a whole lot more work/trouble. For a budget build the KLR trees are the way to go.

I may get around getting some measurements next week but so far I'm actually taking your word for this conversion being a bad idea. Darn it would have looked nice!
KLR clamps and stem do not directly interchange with the ER6, although like so many other sets can be made to work by exchanging the stem, spacer, etc. so if you want to take the trouble to do that, you're better off with a modern set of usd cartridge forks.

the budget build using conventional forks is to do exactly what tony did. if you think you can improve on the look of tony's bike by using a 43mm set of forks instead of 41mm KLR forks...well, we're going to need lots of photos.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:58 AM   #294
TTRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
ad JDRocks:

Yes you are right. I mean the ER 6 Project here of course. It just reminded me of the Versys and so i wrote Versys. Here on ADVrider are so many beautiful conversions and projects. Its always a pleasure to see "selfmade" beasts that are better than stock. This is ART !!!!

Greetings

TTRider (finally its getting warm again in europe and its fun to ride again )
TTRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #295
tonymorr OP

The 41mm 2008 KLR forks (not trees) that I used on my "BUDGET" build were used based on more than my budget. I actually had a nice set of WP 4860 forks that I was going to use. I didn't.

Things I considered:

1. Fork length and how it effects rake and trail.
2. Axle offset/location and how that effects trail (and rake a tiny bit)
3. How the fork offset built into the trees effects trail.
4. How the diameter of the fork tube and the offset and width between them effects turning radius on a frame that is somewhat wide at the head.
5. Quality of the fork (with and without available mods like Emulators and Intiminators)
6. Brakes: My Mutant is lighter than a KLR and the KLR brake works fine for my intended use.

There's a lot to consider.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #296
tobbik
Adventurer

Hi guys,

it seems I sucessfully confused everyone, including myself. Sorry about that!

Yes I was talking about the KLR forks, basically repeating tonys mod. I'm also glad to hear that you are happy with the stopping power as this was my main concern when goting down that road.

jdrocks, the difference between the DR and the KLR forks is 2mm (41vs43) and definately not worth the hassle. The DRZ forks on the other hand is 49mm and that shall make a much bigger difference. Still hardly worth the trouble, though I think.

But what do you know, I found a bone cheap GS500 (8k miles, $800) and for me with my experience level I think it's a much more feasable project that won't hurt too much if it goes wrong. So for now it looks like I'm back in Suzuki land ...

You guys showed me a lot of things to think about (and measure) before assuming what may and may not work. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #297
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:

...I found a bone cheap GS500 (8k miles, $800) and for me with my experience level I think it's a much more feasable project that won't hurt too much if it goes wrong...
gee, i don't know. you're going to miss out on that ER6 sportbike motor and besides, you can do the ER6 as kind of a bolt together thing and it will morph into something like this

ain't that hard to do...and you can do it cheap.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #298
tobbik
Adventurer

Quote:
gee, i don't know. you're going to miss out on that ER6 sportbike motor and besides, you can do the ER6 as kind of a bolt together thing and it will morph into something like this

ain't that hard to do...and you can do it cheap.
Damn, everytime I see your build I start drooling ... so nice and ... just classy.

However, there are a few consideration for my build. Ninjas and E6r ain't really cheap up here in BC, Canada. I followed Craigslist since Dec and the best was a rather beaten up model for 3 grand. GS500 on the other hand seem to show up rather often. Secondly, I plan a trip up to Alaska next year and my brother wants to come, would be fun, but, he lives in Germany and getting him a bike here is my job. Now I own a DR650 which is all build up and ready for the trip. Getting a Ninja/ER6 would be nice but travelling speeds will still be limited by the DR anyways. I know, the GS500s torque or the lack thereof constitutes an issue. Less though on the long haul compared to offroading.

Now the sane option is to get another DR, farkle it out and we have two identical bikes. Good situation for carrying spares/tools on the trip. But that's actually kinda boring and I really wanna build a bike to get my hands dirty.

I know tony ditched his 500 project due to torque issues if I remember correctly. I still think the GS500 would make an economical bike to Alaska. I can't go fast from here to there anyway ....
Old 04-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #299
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:

...I still think the GS500 would make an economical bike to Alaska. I can't go fast from here to there anyway ....
fix 'er up, you and your brother will have a grand trip, that's the main thing.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #300
tonymorr OP