Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 AM   #331
fmartin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr

Im in love

Do you have a higher res photo?? Id like to use it as my desktop wallpaper (with your permission, of course...)
fmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #332
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
The perfect bike?

I road a Versys this weekend, I signed up for Kawasaki's demo ride at a local dealer.

I road the Versys two times, about 70 miles with no twisties. I liked it, ran really good and would power wheelie in 1st and 2nd no problem. A real fun bike to ride and would love to have some real time on one.

I don't think I will buy one. I did feel a little cramped. It was an upright feel although the pegs were to close to the seat and too far back, the bars had me leaning forward a little had no room to move around in the seat, I could move back a couple of inches but it still made me slide forward making me talk a little higher??? When I stood up on the pegs I was bending way over to the handle bars. The pegs are just not in the right location for a DS type of bike, need to be able to stand up in comfort and the pegs on the bike need to be in the right place to be used as a pivot. I can change the seat and bars but the pegs were just to close for me. I'm not that tall ( 5' 10 1/2" )

Now, where do I go from here?

I still like your bikes and would not hesitate to do the same as you guy's. The only thing is the foot peg location, I would love to see one of you move the pegs.

I did ride a V-strom 1000 the other day, I liked it but felt just to much like a Sport Tour not a DS. I need to ride a V-Strom 650 next. If I like it I could go the other way and take off the fairing, different forks and shock to raise it up a little bit. Really don't want to take it off road, just on rough paved and maintained dirt roads.

Now if I do not like the V-Strom 650, I guess I will be force to check out the KTM's, 950 & 990 Adventure, SM950 & 990 and maybe the Super Enduro 950. I would really like to check out the Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 SMV.

The only problem with these bikes is that I favor the Japanese bikes, like you guys.

Just trying to find the perfect bike for me.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #333
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multisurface Rider

I still like your bikes and would not hesitate to do the same as you guy's. The only thing is the foot peg location, I would love to see one of you move the pegs.
so don't hesitate, build the bike and put the pegs where you want them.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #334
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,549
Hey Tony any news on the shock?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #335
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
so don't hesitate, build the bike and put the pegs where you want them.
well... pegs maybe, but one might need the controls that go with the feets

takes a bit more garage-engineering...

I would love to have the ninja motor & tranny in a DR650.... hoot
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #336
MarcoETVitaly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150

This is Italian Versys!?!?
MarcoETVitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #337
tonymorr OP
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh
Hey Tony any news on the shock?
It feels like a great streetbike shock. Still a little stiffer than I would like.

Ummm, thinking about selling The Mutant. Anyone interested?

tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #338
adjusterman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
might be interested

Hey Tony:

i just happend to see this bike today for the first time when I went on the Adirondack mud fest post. I saw the bike in the highlight photo. I then spent pretty much most of the day reading yours and jdrock's posts about these bike builds. I have a V-strom, DRZ-400 and KTM-450, and would love to build one like this, but it looks like you have done the tough part.

Anyway, I would be interested in buying it. give me an idea of price, and how many miles are on it, and any other info you think I might need. I'm in NJ and could drive up and check it out. Send me a pm or e-mail me @ adjusterman@verizon.net.

Thanks,
Dan
adjusterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #339
tonymorr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterman
Hey Tony:

i just happend to see this bike today for the first time when I went on the Adirondack mud fest post. I saw the bike in the highlight photo. I then spent pretty much most of the day reading yours and jdrock's posts about these bike builds. I have a V-strom, DRZ-400 and KTM-450, and would love to build one like this, but it looks like you have done the tough part.

Anyway, I would be interested in buying it. give me an idea of price, and how many miles are on it, and any other info you think I might need. I'm in NJ and could drive up and check it out. Send me a pm or e-mail me @ adjusterman@verizon.net.

Thanks,
Dan
I sent you an email with some pics and info. Let me know if you didn't get it.

T
Old 05-27-2010, 02:18 AM   #340
zenrydr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr
It feels like a great streetbike shock. Still a little stiffer than I would like.

Ummm, thinking about selling The Mutant. Anyone interested?

I'm interested as well!
Old 06-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #341
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I am getting a little closer, it`s been too hot to work in the garage as I have no desire to work in 90+ degrees and the 90% humidity (= death warmed over).
I have installed the mirrors, a new used coolant from the junk yard has been installed behind the radiator, removed one set of headlight brackets (did not like how they looked and a single set seems to be strong enough). I re-installed the stock blinkers (for now), raised the entire headlight fender assembly about 2", adjusted the forks to the maxium height and dropped the tank off for paint on sat. I still need to mount the speedo, I may drill and tap the steering stem and make a small bracket.

I am thinking about painting the rear spring black and adding some red fork guards.

tragerbon screwed with this post 06-06-2010 at 06:02 PM
tragerbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #342
tonymorr OP

For those wondering. Adjusterman did if fact buy the Mutant. Really nice guy. I hope he enjoys her as much as I did.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #343
luckyduck
Lost

Oddometer: 54
For moving the footpegs,

Try http://motowerk.com/loweringfootpegsblocks.aspx

They made alot of difference by moving the pegs down an inch and forward a hair. The controls could adjust far enough to work with them.

Not sure how far you want to move the pegs, but these little guys made it feel good to me.

Paul
Old 09-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #344
Whereabouts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I know I'm dredging up an old thread and Tony has sold the bike, so I will put these questions out to anyone who's willing and able to respond. Though I'm not in a position to do it right now, I find myself very interested in this type of project and I want to put away as much information for the future as I can. I think I have made it through all of the threads so far on mutant-building but a few questions remain. Please feel free to point me to where I can find the info if there's anything I've overlooked.

First, since the bike is electronically controlled and injected I'm assuming that the guage cluster is needed to make it run. Is this correct? Also, is there any problem with mounting it drirectly to the triples; are the wires long enough to permit full steering lock?

Second, I don't remember seeing an explanation of what was needed to fit the Strom wheel to the '08 KLR forks and to make the brakes work. Does anyone know what axle Tony used and what kind of spacers needed to be fabbed?

Finally, will the longer Versys shock fit the ninja frame and SA? Has anyone discovered any new shock options?

Thanks in advance to any and all who can help. Much respect to all the mutant builders out there, you have really paved the way and built some cool, innovative bikes.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #345
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,885
here's my 650R at a Cree landing on James Bay in northern Quebec three weeks ago. fun, capable bike.

build info in here-
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5480

a more recent build that may also answer some of your questions. cool fabrication work, here-
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608309

the loom is long enough to mount the instruments in any reasonable location. you might have to loosen things up under the tank.

versys shock fits, after market available. tire will hit the fender liner if you run it hard enough.

tony included enough info in the thread to fit the 19" if you go that route. he may chime in to add some detail, but you can see what was done.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote