User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #121
tonymorr OP
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,479
The mind wanders.

I'm sorry guys. It's true that the mind wanders, especially mine! I just bought a CRF280XA and I'm picking up a Valkyrie that I found over the winter. This kinda put a damper on the Mutant budget. I wanted to get a custom $hock, have the forks revalved, and some other stuff. Fortunately it's a freakin blast to ride the way it is. All these things will just make it better when I get to them. Now that we have a little daylight after work I may be able to snap a pic of the Buel headlight this week.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:21 AM   #122
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,190
built a beater naked ex650 this winter using the 50/52mm versys usd forks and trees. buell dual lamp front with 510 piaas, pelicans and enclosed fuel can mounts for extra 12L gas, showa adjustable shock, raised the fender to run 130/80 front, added engine guard, radiator guard, wraparound skidplate, protapers, etc.-the usual junk.

agree with you that these are fun bikes. that FI 650/6spd is nothing but sweet. at 80mph actual around 6k rpm it doesn't seem like it's hardly pulling.

didn't build it for real offroad work, but it will run the gravel just fine. off to northern canuckistan and points west (and 3000+ miles of gravel) this spring.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #123
tonymorr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
built a beater naked ex650 this winter using the 50/52mm versys usd forks and trees. buell dual lamp front with 510 piaas, pelicans and enclosed fuel can mounts for extra 12L gas, showa adjustable shock, raised the fender to run 130/80 front, added engine guard, radiator guard, wraparound skidplate, protapers, etc.-the usual junk.

agree with you that these are fun bikes. that FI 650/6spd is nothing but sweet. at 80mph actual around 6k rpm it doesn't seem like it's hardly pulling.

didn't build it for real offroad work, but it will run the gravel just fine. off to northern canuckistan and points west (and 3000+ miles of gravel) this spring.
Dude, that's awesome. Post some pics. I was equaly impressed at how the motor worked at slow speeds picking through some rough stuff. With stock gearing no less! What shock did you use? I've been looking around for a possible swap but the fact that it is linkage-less seems to narrow the choices. Still, I figured if I find a quality shock that fit I could have it revalved.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
Old 03-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #124
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

i'll post a pic after i put the skid back on. i pulled it so i could tweek it for a better fit and add more protection for the front of the engine. you ride those upper canuckistan gravel roads and everything comes back looking like it was sandblasted. i got the shock with the forks as kind of a toss in on the deal. the guy had a boat load of kawasaki parts so i assume it's kawasaki. i don't have anything to compare it with. it says showa on it and has an adjuster. longer than stock.

one of things about the versys forks is that this model has that oddball bar clamp on the upper tree. i happen to like it because it gives you rise and setback in the stock mount. coupled with the pt raptor bars, you have an excellent riding position. if you use these forks, you need to get the whole package because the lower tree mounts on a boss on the fork tube that is a couple mm larger than the rest of the tube which is 50mm. as you might expect, it's a bolt in on the ex650 stem. using the 41mm klr forks was a great idea and they slide right into the stock trees. i couldn't put my hands on any of those.

the swmotech engine guard made for the versys will work if you modify the left rear mount to clear the shifter. you also need to trim the fairing mounts off the engine mounts. pretty straight forward and that guard has some beef. all the rest of the custom parts were homemade.

i'm getting close to 50mpg, but our route has at least a dozen places where fuel may or will be a problem, so i fabbed up some mounts for extra fuel containers that ride in front of the pelicans. i don't like fuel cans bungied on up high on the bike, so these should work out and give a range of 300+.

when i first saw your thread, i was thinking that's a cool idea. the ex650 is kind of a commodity bike because kids buy them, ride around the block, and crash. that means there are bikes and parts everywhere. and cheap. great platform to work with and plenty of potential to take it any way you want.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #125
tonymorr OP

Well, here's a pic with the Buell headlight. Now that spring is approaching I'm a little dissapointed in myself for not doing anything to the Mutant over the winter

2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
Old 03-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #126
tonymorr OP

JDrocks sent me a pic of his Ninja project. He was worried about posting to my thread but it looks so awesome I'M going to post it.

2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
Old 03-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #127
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,281
Now we're talking!!

Love the bike but hate the stock "punisher" headlite.
Job well done on both of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr
JDrocks sent me a pic of his Ninja project. He was worried about posting to my thread but it looks so awesome I'M going to post it.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #128
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

tony's got the wild version, i've got the mild version.

the front tire/wheel on mine is only 3/4" smaller diameter than tony's, but you'd never know it from the photos.

650r is a fun platform to mess with. like i said, mine is prepped for upper canuckistan and that's the reason for the extra fuel.

tony was the idea man here. thanks go to him.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #129
thelouv
ocd

Oddometer: 105
Kudos to both of you. To me, the dual lights look tough as they should. Both those bikes belong in a bike show to demonstrate what the big guys should be building for those guys like me who really can't fab up all the really cool sh-t I see here.
Triumph Rocket III (sold)
F800GS (got mine)
Next? Duc 1098 ADV? nope,
went back to a Jeep, and still lovin the GS
thelouv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #130
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Jdrock, if you have any more info on yours, I'd definitely like to see it. [edit]I just went back and noticed you actually had posted some info I missed[/edit] If Tony doesn't mind you posting in this thread or perhaps just starting another one.

I like the fact you have the Versys crash bars on yours!

Is that still a 17" front rim? That looks like a Tourance tire on the front?
Racks and Luggage?
What else have you done?

My fiance has an '08 650R that she's working on getting setup for touring. This is her thread. She's actually been contemplating making it look more naked and not so much plastic to worry about. She likes the Versys too, but maybe she should just take what she has and make it more like what you guys have done. We have a Mexico/Guatemala trip planned in 2010, so she's got some time to get some ideas and get something to work.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 03-16-2009 at 11:43 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #131
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

the main difference between mine and tony's is the forks and front wheel. i probably would have used the 41mm klr forks but i couldn't find any used ones. i did run across a versys front end and went that direction. both are a big improvement over the stock 650r. with the 50/52mm inverted versys forks you need the trees and bar clamp. they bolt in perfectly. tony has the strom 19" fitted, while i'm running the stock 650r 17" with 130/80 rubber. those are tourances on there and i also have a set of tks80s in the same size that will get spooned on up north. the versys and 650r wheels/rotors/calipers are identical with the only difference being the length of the caliper bolts. to run the bigger tire the versys fender needs to be raised. you can see in the photo the bracket with a deflector wing that protects the fork leg.

i got a showa adjustable shock that is longer than stock and fit it in after taking .5mm off each side of the upper eye bushing. i took it back off yesterday to see if i could find a part number, but there isn't one unless it's in that jap writing somewhere. after looking at some pictures, it might be a versys shock. at a medium preload, the 650r swing arm touches the exhaust tip. it does have damping adjustment and a heavier spring rate.

the swmotech bars for the versys need a little modification at the left rear mount to fit the 650r as was mentioned. the bars don't work with the fairings and fairing mounts.

all the other misc. mounts and custom pieces for my 650r were fabbed up in the shop. there are aftermarket pannier mounts available for the 650r if you don't want to make them, but its pretty easy to make your own.

you GF should look at the versys and see if she likes the seat height before she starts trying mod her 650r. my purpose built 650r is every bit as tall as a versys, maybe taller, so i don't think these suspension mods are really for her. i know it needs a big extension on the stock 650r side stand to keep it from falling over. at 5'4" she would need a ladder to get in the saddle.

actually, if she prepped her 650r and changed tires, the bike would do the trip. i don't think i would ever mount bars that wouldn't clear the tank though.

anyone else with questions, pm me. i really prefer not to tromp around in tony's thread.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #132
tonymorr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
anyone else with questions, pm me. i really prefer not to tromp around in tony's thread.
I really don't mind. Keep the ideas coming. I still have stuff to figure out on mine and if someone else does it first that would be great! I think everyone should have one of these
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
Old 03-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #133
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr
Well, here's a pic with the Buell headlight. Now that spring is approaching I'm a little dissapointed in myself for not doing anything to the Mutant over the winter

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #134
Vspec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
here but out of the cheaper price of the 650r, wouldn't it be easier to start from the Versys instead ?
Vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #135
tonymorr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vspec
here but out of the cheaper price of the 650r, wouldn't it be easier to start from the Versys instead ?
Depends on what you want in the end. I didn't want the extra bulk that hangs off the front of the Versys. I know it's not much but I'm trying to make it as light as possible(when I'm done). I also didn't want the Versys suspension or front wheel. So for me, no. The way the bike sits now I have less than $4k in it.

One advantage I do want from the Versys is the extra leg room. Still would like to figure that out. I may make custom peg brackets.(It's nice to have access to a CNC machine)
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold