Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #151
sallad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
I am going to go get my Eglin permit tomorrow, so I am going to go on a ride on some of the more major fire roads here in the future. Anyone car to join me? Probably on the 6th or 7th (Friday/sat)
sallad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #152
sallad
Studly Adventurer

come on.. the sand can't be everywhere... can it..?
Old 05-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #153
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,979
well im outta the running for tomorrow (technically today)

good luck on the scouting mission, and you new folks - get up with mug, inept, and/or rearview, as they know the area much better than I and they got the GPS stuff goin on
I just show up and follow the leader

+1 on knobbies, even on the more solid fire roads, youre gonna hate every soft spot you find with streeties, and theyll find em! as far as Im concerned, the gnarlier the terrain the better (but then again im workin with a bike thats about 230 soakin wet

Dr.Z - sounds like a crazy time, us lower alabamians mixin it up with the fellas from down south in some sugar sand, maybe yall can come show us how its done

mini - I would suggest hittin up the aforementioned folks for some "guided" ridin around the best stuff we got here

luke - damn dude.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:59 PM   #154
sallad
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
it's everywhere! But EG is so big that it has very different topo-zones. West and just east of 87 is sand-world (deep). But head east (and upward in elev) there's less. As you go eastward it gets higher and more clay-ish, and a lot more fun to ride. That's why i'm scouting the eastern-res for our overnighter.

Sand builds dynamite skills, no doubt. EG offers all kinds of different worlds to master.

I'm hoping Basin Bayou is cool-- if it sucks i'll move that we camp at Indigo which is a good, known quantity

Get some chunky tires, Sallad! I know Motard is balls-fun, but you've got the perfect platform for dirt!!

PS: you may as well get the 'Fishing Permit'-- it's 12 mos from date-of-purchase. If you get the general rec permit it expires in 4 months (30 Sept 08)
Been keeping my eye out for some wheels, going to get them as soon as possible. Until then I am going to (try) to stay on harder ground with the street tires.

Thanks for the tip on the fishing permit too BTW

On a side note, anyone dick around at Dixie land tomorrow. Afternoon perhaps?
Old 05-31-2008, 05:10 AM   #155
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,205
Got plans for late afternoon:

DAMMIT,DAMMIT,DAMMIT. Got family things going on in late afternoon saturday. Mug and Inept, I will pm ya`ll my cell number in case things change. (Family stuff or ya`ll plan to ride further west). Mark my words, if I don`t get to go with you fellas today, I will be going in the near future!
Tony Another video for your viewing pleasure!
Old 05-31-2008, 05:43 PM   #156
Hatch
PAR OG

Quote:
Jer-- heard you guys are playing Handlebar soon-- gimme some data that i could just as easily get by looking up Handlebar's schedule

would like to see you play. Maybe we could get a dipshit ADV cheering-section in the house

EDIT: Nevermind-- Parabellum will be playing HB 6 June Friday (D-Day).

I'll be there-- will try to get some ADVers in on it
Haha, well about that... I actually resigned from the band, its been a good four years jammin with those dudes, but with college almost done and starting with the jackson guard, who needs me most on weekends, and needing to save money instead of blowing it all on drugs and alcohol in strange towns, I had to make the right choice for the future. anyone who says the life of a rockstar is enviable (sp?) has no idea. its a hard fuckin way to live, and you spend much more money than you make, and when you got as much shit goin on as I do right now, its hard to justify the sacrifice of time and money necessary to make a band successful. I do wish those guys the best, and ill be there at the show as well, its possible it may be a "last show" for me, we'll see. but definetly come out and check out the tunes, grab some brews and since yer with me all ADV ff's get the afterparty pass

sallad, pm me yer # an ill hit the ol dixieland with ya

anyone ridin tomorrow? ill probly be around and about

oh and btw, anyone know of a good part time job in the area? preferrably dayshifts mon - fri. the job that I thought was a sure thing has become quite the clusterfuck and im thinkin thats not somewhere I wanna waste my time anyways
Old 06-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #157
Hatch
PAR OG

Quote:
I know i said i'd go to Jerry's ex-band gig this Fri night-- as of now i'd rather ride Saturday (early). Late-Friday gigs and lots of Saturday miles don't mix, right Jer?

thats for damn sure. when yer expelling bodily excrement from both ends at the same time in the middle of nowhere, I believe its nature's way of telling you you should probably be sleeping, not haulin ass through the woods

as for this saturday, I actually will be part of a wedding friday (open bar ) and all of us groomsmen will be headin to the show after the wedding to get mo' trashed, so I'll be in that situation again saturday. sooo, I will undoubtedly be in a bed/floor/back of someones truck/sleeping in someone's bushes on saturday.

good luck with the exploration of the east side, and if things dont end up as planned then Ive got yer # mug, and ill get up with ya.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #158
Hatch
PAR OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTSRocker
where do I get a permit?
Jackson Guard

or just call 850-882-4164
you'll get the front office, they'll tell you all ya need to know.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:04 AM   #159
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

On call this weekend

Now this is starting to get ridiculous. I`m on call this weekend and don`t dare get far away from the service van. More punishment for being in the a/c business. JP and Enept know me, and know I`d be right there with yawl if I could. Soon,,,,,,,,,,,soon,,,,,,,,,,,,very soon!
Regards,
Tony
Old 06-04-2008, 07:00 AM   #160
ineptizoid
they all do that

Oddometer: 5,333
Focker OUT

Hey Riders, I'll be out of town for the next few weekends, gonna do a big cross-country drive to visit the in-laws on the West Coast and then on to Hawaii. Looking forward to doing some more riding with y'all when I get back!

Y'all ride safe

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #161
Eickey
Underwater Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
you sure are!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #162
Jkass
If You Ain't Spectre...

Oddometer: 207
Nooob here

After many years away from riding thanks to having the $hit scared out of me on 98, I again own a DR. Put 1400 hundred miles on Memorial Day weekend, met my father up in Little River Canyon/DeSoto National Park area in Nothern Alabama. Spectacular weekend, great riding scenery, probably not for you hardcore ADV types. Oh, yeah, and the factory seat sucks, have you guys ever heard that before?

I'm in Navarre, and look forward to riding with some of you guys in the area. I'm gonna have to work on getting my (dirt) sea legs back a bit first. I used to do back flips with a 125 off a 55 gal drums and a 2x8 when I was a kid, now I found myself getting nervous about riding in the back of a pick-up backed up to a ditch. It's amazing what age will do to, I've turned into a chicken $hit!. Forgot how much power is required to keep the front end light in sand...practiced a little here in HBTS, I need to find a set of brass ones again.

Look forward to ridin!

I'm gonna have to farkle up with some off road mods before I'm ready for anything aggressive. I fully expect to break or dislocate something my first hard ride, but I'd like to have some more protection for the bike other than the BBQ rack I installed.
Jkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #163
RearView
Caveman Philosopher

Oddometer: 532
6/6/08

Calling Sir Mugness, Sir Mugness are you there?

I'll be heading to BW for a bit in the morning. Got the DR all back to ship shape. New bearings and cush. I think I might even be able to still use the old one. A lot less metal ground off than I thought thanks to the chain and sprocket(Eeeesh!!!). I'm sending my old hubs in soon for a supermoto lace-up, so I might gear longer for a higher top end on the slickies and then I can just swap out the cush instead of having to change sprockets. Woo-freakin'-hoo. Call me tonight to setup some meets in the AM. Call me early though, instead of 11 like usual. I'm going with or w/o ya'. Anybody else up for some Blackwater tomorrow? Probably gonna take it a little easier than usual. I'm shaking this DR apart. I believe it's one of the most maintenance free vehicles when you don't ride it like an idiot like me. See you on the trails fellas.

RV
RearView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #164
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Welcome Jkass

Jkass, keep in touch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we`re going to ride up in northeast alabama again this fall. Here is a post I did about one of our rides from Sylacauga Alabama to Ft. Payne using the Talladega National forest service roads as our route. Click on this link to see the pictures and story:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223839
Some of this will look familiar to you.
Regards,
Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkass
After many years away from riding thanks to having the $hit scared out of me on 98, I again own a DR. Put 1400 hundred miles on Memorial Day weekend, met my father up in Little River Canyon/DeSoto National Park area in Nothern Alabama. Spectacular weekend, great riding scenery, probably not for you hardcore ADV types. Oh, yeah, and the factory seat sucks, have you guys ever heard that before?

I'm in Navarre, and look forward to riding with some of you guys in the area. I'm gonna have to work on getting my (dirt) sea legs back a bit first. I used to do back flips with a 125 off a 55 gal drums and a 2x8 when I was a kid, now I found myself getting nervous about riding in the back of a pick-up backed up to a ditch. It's amazing what age will do to, I've turned into a chicken $hit!. Forgot how much power is required to keep the front end light in sand...practiced a little here in HBTS, I need to find a set of brass ones again.

Look forward to ridin!

I'm gonna have to farkle up with some off road mods before I'm ready for anything aggressive. I fully expect to break or dislocate something my first hard ride, but I'd like to have some more protection for the bike other than the BBQ rack I installed.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #165
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTSRocker
How do you think a GS would handle some time over there?
Right here you would be fine.

By klatubaradanikto

This will suck, but is avoidable.

By klatubaradanikto

This you can manage, but will land you in the brig.

By klatubaradanikto

I had a great time, thanks for the tips on riding here.
By klatubaradanikto
Sorry all you missed out on a Wednesday ride just for work.