Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #20191
HonMudDog
"ORIGINAL" LowBudgetRider

Oddometer: 113
Sunday 7/1 riders ?

Good day ADV mongrels,
Please post up or PM me if any planned rides are happening tommorow 7/1. Appears from previous page, that some were to ride Blackwater today ??
My 650 beast bud "ButcherMan" is wanting/looking for a stint in Blackwater Forest but may be able to swing him to Eglin if that's where the pack will be.
Appreciate the word,
JohnnyP

XR650L aka " THE BEAST " tad modify'd ( 2 far farkel'd )
KTM 454 MXC RFS
Safer thru trees @ 45 mph than on tarmac w/caged cell yapping clowns
HonMudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #20192
Barney
I reckon so

Oddometer: 870
Morning ride

There was an incident involving a wasp on the way to the Awful Waffle this morning, field repairs were made.

Hatch stopped by and said hi with new guys James and George. Took us a while to get going, but we eventually headed north through Blackwater with Gimee, Skidmark, Dirtwoman, Kip and myself.

We stopped at Hurricane Lake and due to the heat, bug bites and whatnot, decided it was time to head our seperate ways. Good to see everyone and meet Kip, James and George.

Somehow I got a pie out of this deal and I gotta say this is a PROPER use of blueberries.

Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #20193
chavez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
tools

hey guys, looking for some help.

I got a chain with the press on style master link, i dont have a truck or trailer to take it to the shop nor do any local shops have a press in stock i can buy. (bunch of eskimos!)

I would like to install the chain today/this weekend...

if anyone has a chain press or knows a way i can use a different tool to do the job i would greatly appreciate if i could borrow it today (6-30-2012), or mayb tomoro. i ive in fwb

i can leave collateral / buy beer and will promptly return the tool.
please contact by phone (call or text)
much appreciated,
Adam 850-758-2885
chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #20194
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,794
Adam, Most shops here just peen it. On the other hand you can probably buy or bum a clip on masterlink locally
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #20195
Dirtwoman
Plexus Princess

Oddometer: 200
Morning ride

Thank you Barney for everything.... You saved my riding addiction and my neck....literally I hope payment was enough to cover my expenses.

Does anybody have cookout plans for the 4th weekend?
Dirtwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #20196
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer: 723
Thumb Ride today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
Took us a while to get going, but we eventually headed north through Blackwater with Gimee, Skidmark, Dirtwoman, Kip and myself.

We stopped at Hurricane Lake and due to the heat, bug bites and whatnot, decided it was time to head our seperate ways. Good to see everyone and meet Kip, James and George.

Have to say I had a great time today ; nice day for a ride tho it got hot at the end. My odo: 140 miles. ELEPHANT MAN and I took a leetle detour on the way back so he could get a small taste of some North Florida "dirt". I'll let him give you his/his bike's opinion of it.

Enjoyed seeing everyone and trying to keep up with Gimmee on the twisties. Good Time!
Anybody can go fast in a straight line...
skid=mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #20197
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 800
Ahhh DARNIT!!!

Looks like I have a lot of soul searching to do.
It was great meeting people to do what use to come natural... take an enjoyable ride.
If the group I ran with today is typical, I WANT to keep riding. They were awesome company, whom I wish I'd met "on time" and gotten to chat with more as I got lost and held up the ride from the get go.

As for the soul searching... I use to take passengers up steep plowed firebreaks on a TT600 and catch air reaching the top, wheel about and fly back down. Power slides, donuts, whoops, and log hopping in stride. That progressed for 13 years. Gave up riding for 17 years due to military obligations, and in 2010 I thought I'd hop back in the saddle, instead I broke my back, wrists and mangled a new bike right out of the starting gate. Today, during my 1st ride after the bike rebuild and physical recovery, I came to a sobering, humbling, and troubling realization. I still love to ride, and still adore that machine, but I am more than a little bit afraid of it, a hair's breadth away from terrified actually.

Not sure yet exactly how to address it.
  • Trade bike for smaller touring capable DS.
  • Keep present bike and get something like an EXC-F 350 or WR250R that doesn't intimidate my psyche, until my mind and body are ready to embrace the 990 again.
Not sure which will happen, but something has to change.

etingelefunts screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 10:47 PM
etingelefunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #20198
Dirtwoman
Plexus Princess

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post
As for the soul searching... I use to take passengers up steep plowed firebreaks on a TT600 and catch air reaching the top, wheel about and fly back down. Power slides, donuts, whoops, and log hopping in stride. That progressed for 13 years. Gave up riding for 17 years due to military obligations, and in 2010 I thought I'd hop back in the saddle, instead I broke my back, wrists and mangled a new bike right out of the starting gate. Today, during my 1st ride after the bike rebuild and physical recovery, I came to a sobering, humbling, and troubling realization. I still love to ride, and still adore that machine, but I am more than a little bit afraid of it, a hair's breadth away from terrified actually.

Not sure yet exactly how to address it.
  • Trade bike for smaller touring capable DS.
  • Keep present bike and get something like an EXC300 or WR250R that doesn't intimidate my psyche, until my mind and body are ready to embrace the 990 again.
Not sure which will happen, but something has to change.

It was nice meeting you today and listening to your story about how you got to where you are today. I think it is great that you realized it is time for a little change.....absolutely nothing wrong with that! I have only had my KLX since February but I must say I love it more than my CBR600 and KTM exc200. Don't get me wrong my first and only true love is riding dirt so I miss my EXC a little in the woods...but the flexibility of having a bike that is great in dirt, tagged and still easy to flip around on the street is best of both worlds and I don't have to worry about getting a big fat spending ticket I have always wanted a bike strictly for track days, so now maybe my CBR will be it.
Dirtwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #20199
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,128
Yes.
This is suppose to be fun.

You haven't asked, but I would like to recommend for your consideration the KLX 250, WR250, DRZ 400, and the DR650.

The 250cc machines will keep up nicely with the bigger bikes in most of the riding we do.
Some situations, they are most definetly a advantage.

Ask for a little test ride from one of us before you buy something.
The 990 has a place here for Beast rides that we do from time to time. Don't sell it unless you must.

Madhouse screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 07:38 PM
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #20200
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Yes.
This is suppose to be fun.

You haven't asked, but I would like to recommend for your consideration the KLX 250, WR250, DRZ 400, and the DR650.

The 250cc machines will keep up nicely with the bigger bikes in most of the riding we do.
Some situations, they are most definetly a advantage.

Ask for a little test ride from one of us before you buy something.
The 990 has a place here for Beast rides that we do from time to time. Don't sell it unless you must.
Good advice and thanks Madhouse!
Thanks Dirtwoman for your perspective too, and skid=mark for the enlightening trial.

Skid=mark offered to let me try his DR650. My trepidation at that moment made me decline. After I adjust a little more, very soon I would like to take a KLX 250, DR400 or 650, and/or a WR250 for a short spin. They look much more inviting to my ego and common sense at the moment. When I find that "right" bike I'll pay cash to start finally HAVING FUN again!!!!!!!
I am very optimistic that a second bike will help a lot, especially hearing other riders enjoy the benefits of having similar dexterity in their stables.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #20201
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post
Good advice and thanks Madhouse!
Thanks Dirtwoman for your perspective too, and skid=mark for the enlightening trial.

Skid=mark offered to let me try his DR650. My trepidation at that moment made me decline. After I adjust a little more, very soon I would like to take a KLX 250, DR400 or 650, and/or a WR250 for a short spin. They look much more inviting to my ego and common sense at the moment. When I find that "right" bike I'll pay cash to start finally HAVING FUN again!!!!!!!
I am very optimistic that a second bike will help a lot, especially hearing other riders enjoy the benefits of having similar dexterity in their stables.
good luck. I have a DR650 also and you're welcome to ride it anytime/anywhere.......

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #20202
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
good luck. I have a DR650 also and you're welcome to ride it anytime/anywhere.......
That is very cool. We could trade rides for a few miles. Mine has the "S" spec 265mm Superplush upgrade with Safari tanks which makes it feel like trying to carry bags of cement on stilts. Looks like I'll be trying out one of the two willing DR650's soon.
The DRZ400, EXC-F 350 and WR250R always seem to make the short list when I read up on small to mid size DS bikes.
Trying one of the DR650's looks like a lot more managable bike than mine at the moment, and should help me decide wether or not to go even smaller (250-400 range). Right now less top heavy, shorter, and less twitchy throttle is inviting.

I also like Dirtwoman's logic... no big fat speeding tickets.

etingelefunts screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 10:47 PM
etingelefunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #20203
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,128
I should have added a word of caution. Which ever Jap bike you lean toward, know that the law of diminshing return applies when it comes to spending additional money and expecting more performance and handling.
Like to keep my post short so will just add that you can easily approach the cost of one of these:

http://www.enduro360.com/2011/11/12/...350exc-review/

A trade-off of a less costly machine could possibly be much less tinkering and more riding time.
That aspect is important to me.
"Paramount" comes to mind.
There are always trade-off's, aren't they?

Madhouse screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 02:27 AM
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:40 AM   #20204
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,794
About the new 500EXC..

Hey Vic... You already knew this, but some of the other FF may not..

"KTM has raised the bar in a way that is going to have everyone else on their heels playing catch up for a while. Dual purpose has always equated to compromise. A bike is either better suited to the street or dirt, it cannot possibly be equal at both. Nevertheless, here it is in living color."
That living color appears to be ORANGE

SOURCE drawn from the link Madhouse posted. If the 690 wasn't so damned much fun, I'd need a '12 500 I think.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #20205
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Tony and Buzz make good points. You can run the tab up in a hurry if you try to turn a DR into a KTM.

On the other hand, for what a DR is, and for what it costs to purchase and own, it does its thing well.

Plus, not all of us are AA class rider/racers and can get by w/ lesser performing bikes just fine.

Either way, the offer stands.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote