Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #20206
bzrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post

Looks like I have a lot of soul searching to do.
It was great meeting people to do what use to come natural... take an enjoyable ride.
If the group I ran with today is typical, I WANT to keep riding. They were awesome company, whom I wish I'd met "on time" and gotten to chat with more as I got lost and held up the ride from the get go.

As for the soul searching... I use to take passengers up steep plowed firebreaks on a TT600 and catch air reaching the top, wheel about and fly back down. Power slides, donuts, whoops, and log hopping in stride. That progressed for 13 years. Gave up riding for 17 years due to military obligations, and in 2010 I thought I'd hop back in the saddle, instead I broke my back, wrists and mangled a new bike right out of the starting gate. Today, during my 1st ride after the bike rebuild and physical recovery, I came to a sobering, humbling, and troubling realization. I still love to ride, and still adore that machine, but I am more than a little bit afraid of it, a hair's breadth away from terrified actually.

Not sure yet exactly how to address it.
  • Trade bike for smaller touring capable DS.
  • Keep present bike and get something like an EXC-F 350 or WR250R that doesn't intimidate my psyche, until my mind and body are ready to embrace the 990 again.
Not sure which will happen, but something has to change.
dont be afraid of it whip its ass. start slow get your proper tech. back get comfortable .I was in the same boat .your 990 is a good bike ,just find a quit feild start slow and gain control . any time you want to just mess around and practice , give me a shout .
Old 07-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #20207
Barney
I reckon so

Oddometer: 890
Jeff sighting

I opted to give my lawnmower a much needed ride around the yard this morning. As I was fetching mogas, saw Jeff leading half a dozen bikes through Baker on the way to Mickeys. Hope ya'll had a good ride.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #20208
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg7562 View Post
Go ahead...get it...you know you want both

etingelefunts
I have a DRZ400 and KTM690 up in Pace you can try out if you are interested as well. Lots of options to test and opinions here on PAR, just get something your think you will be happy and comfortable with and get to riding!

PS. Id love to take the 990 for a spin while your on my 690
You are welcome to ride my 990 either way. I've never seen a DRZ400 up close. Even sitting on it and leaning it to-and-fro will help me envision the possible benefits.
I'm admiting a lolt of humbling things here... after 22 years in the Marine Corps at one time I weighed 220 and had much better ability to use body english to manage forward momentum etc. Since my accident I have become a spindly 6'3" 180 lbs, combine that with my still marginal right wrist and you'll see I am starting over mentally and physically.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and willingness to map out a course of action.
There is a really decent area about 2 miles from my house with ample dirt, terrain variations, and obstacles to try out.
I live off of 9 mile Road close to Hillcrest Baptist Church if anyone happens to be zipping by they are welcome to stop in, we could zip over there and roost in the dirt or whatever
Old 07-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #20209
bzrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,616
Quote:
You are welcome to ride my 990 either way. I've never seen a DRZ400 up close. Even sitting on it and leaning it to-and-fro will help me envision the possible benefits.
I'm admiting a lolt of humbling things here... after 22 years in the Marine Corps at one time I weighed 220 and had much better ability to use body english to manage forward momentum etc. Since my accident I have become a spindly 6'3" 180 lbs, combine that with my still marginal right wrist and you'll see I am starting over mentally and physically.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and willingness to map out a course of action.
There is a really decent area about 2 miles from my house with ample dirt, terrain variations, and obstacles to try out.
I live off of 9 mile Road close to Hillcrest Baptist Church if anyone happens to be zipping by they are welcome to stop in, we could zip over there and roost in the dirt or whatever
I am going to squeeze in some riding this afternoon I live out in the perdido area . I will probably Just do some practice rideing ,now that I work offshore I dont get as much sea time in .
Old 07-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #20210
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

Oddometer: 469
Solo Brox.

I hit up Brox this morning. It was only hot when you stopped. It was only dusty if you were behind me. There was traction if you didn't open the throttle.

I had to get something in, I had the two week itch.
rotorhead511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #20211
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:

The great thing about this group is you have an opportunity to ride a pretty wide variety of bikes (which you cannot do at a dealer) w/o any obligation to do anything at all. That's pretty rare in this day and age.

Good luck finding your new place in the pack. If you're free during the week, let me know sometime and I'll meet you between Evergreen and there for a ride........

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #20212
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 813
Bike build overview

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793070
^Check out this thread if you want to see some of what went on inside the polyester dungeon (tent in the yard)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #20213
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post

BTW how's that K60 working on the Tiger? Still digging it?
I got tire of riding the street with knobbies. 98-99% of my miles are on Tarmac.
For the past 1400 miles I've been using Full Bore (shinko 705 copies). The FB version has a higher speed rating & supposedly last longer.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #20214
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,242
Quote:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793070
^Check out this thread if you want to see some of what went on inside the polyester dungeon (tent in the yard)
Well done!
Obvious you don't mind turning a wrench.
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #20215
freebornman
pointman

Oddometer: 1,230
huh?

?

freebornman screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 06:51 PM
freebornman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #20216
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,900
Sorry for late reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
hey guys, looking for some help.

I got a chain with the press on style master link, i dont have a truck or trailer to take it to the shop nor do any local shops have a press in stock i can buy. (bunch of eskimos!)

I would like to install the chain today/this weekend...

if anyone has a chain press or knows a way i can use a different tool to do the job i would greatly appreciate if i could borrow it today (6-30-2012), or mayb tomoro. i ive in fwb

i can leave collateral / buy beer and will promptly return the tool.
please contact by phone (call or text)
much appreciated,
Adam 850-758-2885
Sorry for late reply but I was away for weekend. Post up if you still need help. I do not have punch and normally just grind down brads with side grinder then use screw driver and big hammar.. you are welcome to try or I will come by and hlep if I can...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #20217
SingleTrackJeff
Lurker and Hangaround

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
I opted to give my lawnmower a much needed ride around the yard this morning. As I was fetching mogas, saw Jeff leading half a dozen bikes through Baker on the way to Mickeys. Hope ya'll had a good ride.

Photobucket

Yea that was us Barney, Great breakfast at Mickeys, rode into Al visited a couple of the lakes, and just after turning on to Old Martin off of Hwy.4 AND; Carnage ensued The only non Harley rider in the group (other that the fearless leader) #3 in the first pic took a turn wide and found out pine straw makes for crappy traction. Bike with 2 up down, bruised ankle and scraped hand (no gloves) for the back seat, driver just a seriously browsed ego.

Bike had to be trailered home due to broken clutch lever, and it took three Harley riders to push it onto the trailer.
I think Matt was ridding the front break just for fun.

Photobucket

I think someones mail is going to be late, this was on I-10 this morning and on the way home today.
Photobucket
SingleTrackJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #20218
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,900
Hot dusty weekend

Phil and I and Apperson slipped away Saturday afternoon and went to Karick lake. Rode Saturday afternoon and Sunday mornig. Even with only three experienced riders the dust was terrible. What could have been awesome was only fun. We did cover a lot of ground cause it was cooler to ride than to stop. A few pics..
Apperson at one of many creek crossings

A much better looking rider!

Barney joined us Saturday night for food fest.

Steves rig in backround

Menu discussion:
Crab legs, scallops, shirmp, shimpwantons, filet mignon, some kind of chicken balls, and some other stuff...

Barney brought blueberry pie - complements of dirtwoman-. We all had some and then finished it off Sunday night at home. Outstanding! My wife loved it...Thanks T.

(and Barney for sharing)

We did not post up for open ride hoping that with only three riders we would beat the dust. Didnt happen. Even with three it was brutal. Sunday moring just Steve and I went on 60 mile rip and since we had radio contact we could swap up leading without waiting. Awesome ride where avoiding leaders dust billow (being able to see) become the largest part of the ride...

Rain is the answer.. the ride ASAP...

Did I mention it was HOT! Beware! I came close to "The Wall" today but was able to stop and recover (see waterercrossing above) before it got bad.

Sounds like others had a good weekend also.

"Eatin Elephants" - went through your rebuild thread.. awesome dude... a labor of love for sure and it turned out so well.
sooo please take this as a trying to be helpful ... get a fun bike to play in the dirt of Eglin and Blackwater and save that beauty for tarmak and some hard pack 'splorin....

Lots of beast ride to use your 990.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #20219
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
Chicken balls?

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #20220
cpg7562
just me..

Oddometer: 102
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

not sure if that facebook link will work but really cool shot of a bike (690 i think) being zip lined across a canyon with rider following. anyone else see that? Its on Adventure Motorcycle Magazine's facebook page. One of the coolest pics ive seen.

My Spot
cpg7562 is offline   Reply With Quote