Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #21406
TitaniumKaren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Davebert and I were out today for a while and I think we came across some of your tracks just east of hurricane lake. Great riding today...temps are getting better.
TitaniumKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #21407
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

Oddometer: 428
Talking Great ride.

Sick loop Vic, best ride in BW to date. Thanks for leading. Good seeing everyone out there, it was a fast crew today.
'89 Honda Transalp XL600V (Coming in Sep)
rotorhead511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #21408
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,543
Sorry we didnt see ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumKaren View Post
Davebert and I were out today for a while and I think we came across some of your tracks just east of hurricane lake. Great riding today...temps are getting better.
Yep! Temps were great but Im afraid they wont last.... but they are heading in the right direction.
The down side - Daylight is heading towards shorter...

Hope all had a safe ride.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #21409
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 807
Here is a pic of Karen today. We had a great ride and all went fine. No issues.

DB
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:07 AM   #21410
Vico1
The Maestro

Great Pic... I think I know just where that is at.

We have GOT to learn to stop and take a few pics along the way.

We had some really good ops but know one thought to take pics...especially when I was under water or stuck axel deep in SAND....

Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #21411
MItrnsplnt
PllnGs tillthey puke

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidinitaly View Post
Quicksand was exactly right! It took an hour for my gloves to dry out... Skids new mount is a hoot to ride! I may need to eventually expand my herd for one of those... Fourth gear wheelies = no problem!
Skid, happy for you that you got your new bike!!! Now get that thing dialed in and you'll be in hog heaven, can't wait to ride that thing and see how it feels out on the trails!!! A 300 has been on my radar for some time now....and then you show up with one.........f#*k me......

Fourth gear wheelies, I'm sure that 300 will probably pick it up in 5th being as light as it is.....the 530's do fourth gear wheelies all day..........

Vic, thanks for the awesome loop yesterday, that fricken rocked!!! Renewed my love for the area down with some new riding areas!

For everyone else, if you haven't ridden BW yet, it's basically a HIGH SPEED GP version of Eglin and the fastburn trails. This would be the ideal training grounds for any type of harescramble, baja, maybe Dakar....lol....basically you are hauling the mail when you ride at BW with this group.....LOVE IT!!!!!
Rocky Mountain Ride 2011: Aspen to Crested Butte and back
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723271
MItrnsplnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #21412
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Great Pic... I think I know just where that is at.

We have GOT to learn to stop and take a few pics along the way.

We had some really good ops but know one thought to take pics...especially when I was under water or stuck axel deep in SAND....
You almost never get the good shots with a camera, that is what the video is for. Did you see this section on your ride? Just after here is where we seen all the tracks leading back out to the main road.

Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #21413
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 495
Ooh! How did you scroll those pics. I need to learn that one. Looks wet and fun I'm not much for mud or wet but I can't wait to get out there. The stars aligned for me to get a do it all bike, then along came a rat that stole my wife. So I've been out of touch with reality for a bit. Trying to get back in the saddle.

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #21414
reidinitaly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdreyer View Post
Ooh! How did you scroll those pics. I need to learn that one. Looks wet and fun I'm not much for mud or wet but I can't wait to get out there. The stars aligned for me to get a do it all bike, then along came a rat that stole my wife. So I've been out of touch with reality for a bit. Trying to get back in the saddle.
Bos'n,

Hopefully you can get an "all-in-one" scoot soon, we need to go ride before its too late. My bike will be leaving with the wife and kid that last part of October - early November (transferring up to VA Beach). Love to get an ole' retrired guys out there! Vic could have used some of your rigging expience this last weekend, dead lifting a 5-hunny out of foot deep soggy sand was challenging - but not half as bad as hoisting him out of the same spot

Keep the Rubber Side Down
reidinitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #21415
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidinitaly View Post
Bos'n,

Hopefully you can get an "all-in-one" scoot soon, we need to go ride before its too late. My bike will be leaving with the wife and kid that last part of October - early November (transferring up to VA Beach). Love to get an ole' retrired guys out there! Vic could have used some of your rigging expience this last weekend, dead lifting a 5-hunny out of foot deep soggy sand was challenging - but not half as bad as hoisting him out of the same spot
Sorry to hear you'll be leaving so soon. I have the all in one. 625 SXC predecessor tho the 690 enduro. Dropped it on 98 and bused my knee pretty bad and now it seems those pulled muscles in my back are actually broken ribs I'll be out there soon enough though. Rigging, yea I've done a lot of that. That quick sand couldn't have been any worse than the time I helped a KLX 650 Baja racer out of a not so dry dry lake one year. After 2 hours and 6 guys we got it to a point that we could get the mud out of the chain / sprockets just so it would roll. Asked the guy where the next hand off was and would his teammate be there. He just sat there and said we could have the bike he was not going to ride it ever again. That was probably "93 or '94.

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #21416
reidinitaly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdreyer View Post
Sorry to hear you'll be leaving so soon. I have the all in one. 625 SXC predecessor tho the 690 enduro. Dropped it on 98 and bused my knee pretty bad and now it seems those pulled muscles in my back are actually broken ribs I'll be out there soon enough though. Rigging, yea I've done a lot of that. That quick sand couldn't have been any worse than the time I helped a KLX 650 Baja racer out of a not so dry dry lake one year. After 2 hours and 6 guys we got it to a point that we could get the mud out of the chain / sprockets just so it would roll. Asked the guy where the next hand off was and would his teammate be there. He just sat there and said we could have the bike he was not going to ride it ever again. That was probably "93 or '94.
Now that sounds like no fun at all. I rode an event up in Vancover Island BC called the Terra Nova ('95 I believe). If you weren't riding a trials bike, life could suck really bad. There was one section that we actully harnessed the bikes and ourselves up and zip-lined across a river. At one point, a guy on a KX-250 was riding across a bridge that was only about a foot wide and hovered 10 feet off the water slipped and went off the side, bike landed on him and he was trapped under two feet of water, me and another rider saw it, dropped out bikes and jumped in. I was already soaked to the bone so getting wet wasn't a big deal. It was just a bit scary, especially since I was only 16 years old...

Old 09-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #21417
Vico1
The Maestro

LBL news?

I know a bunch of folks went up to ride the Land Between the Lakes Dual Sport event this weekend. Let us hear from you guys. I wanted to go but way too much going on.

Also Blackwater - While the group on Sunday did indeed "haul the mail" - Blackwater is still the best area to LEARN how to ride dirt. Plenty of easy dirt roads, and then more challanging trails as you get ready for them.

If you n00bs would like, I would be happy to lead a "SLOW BURN" through the area where speed would not be on the list of priorities.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #21418
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer: 703
Wink Dirt Bike Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
I know a bunch of folks went up to ride the Land Between the Lakes Dual Sport event this weekend. Let us hear from you guys. I wanted to go but way too much going on.

Just got back from R&R, dropped off the Little Hussie for Bob to do some incantations and sorcery shit to make that thing rideable by my bony ass.

They were unloading bikes from LBL. Only had about 15 pounds of mud on them... --did 140 miles the first day. Inch of rain the second day. Ouch. Glad I did not go to that one...
Anybody can go fast in a straight line...
skid=mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #21419
Vico1
The Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid=mark View Post

They were unloading bikes from LBL. Only had about 15 pounds of mud on them... --did 140 miles the first day. Inch of rain the second day. Ouch. Glad I did not go to that one...
Yea I think I dodged another bullet.... I hate to pull 14hrs to a mud fest....But it is one of the better DS out there.

I figured guys would be returning today.

Gimmie? How did you like it?

Old 09-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #21420
reidinitaly
Gnarly Adventurer

And the hits just keep on coming!!! I swear, I should have never taken videos of any riding anywhere... it always causes more work and headache in the end... No need to ask what I mean, I'm just venting. - everything is just too damn PC these days!