Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #22516
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,917
All right! Love to see a privateer on the podium!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #22517
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
All right! Love to see a privateer on the podium!
Me too.
That pass on the last lap was fantastic.

And across the finish line when the second place rider and others congratulated the privateer guy............that was great!

About the ticket price,,for nosebleed seats and by the time you figured in parking and a shared snack and drink, I think we spent about $100.
Figure gas going up/back, hotel, eats,ect = pricey.

After things got settled down a bit in the Dome, we spotted some empty seats in a premo spot so we got up the courage, moved, and sat in a really good place.

Highland Park ain't that far away.
It would be fun to gather a bunch of us and do a camp/ride/sit together supercross weekend.
Share expense's and get a big bang out of the weekend.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #22518
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax400 View Post
Road!!!
yeah i usually change it up for the winter- big gas tank/ comfort seat/ sprockets. i need more parts now. sprocket bolts are all mangled up- i didnt think i was going to get a couple off. my chain is also all worn out and rusted. i got the sight window changed out and cover back on. got to fill her back up with oil. changed the rear brake pads. i was having issues with the speedo also. when it gets wet it goes out. i went to change the battery and there wasnt one in there. i also am going to change the magnet out on the front brake. those are the cheap easy parts first. the garage door closed on the rear fender and broke my license plate light. so i fixed that too.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #22519
HonMudDog
"ORIGINAL" LowBudgetRider

Oddometer: 113
Bang for buck via Atlanta SX wknd

Madhouse & PAR gang,
Been too long since I actually attended SX, I will attempt to get wknd furlow from warden to enable possible time out of prison yard to camp/ride/spectate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej55 View Post
Wow, what a great turnout for the New years day 100. Never expected to see 15 bikes show up for what proved to be a great ride! Weather was perfect and the dirt just right, not too wet and no dust. I am still learning my way around BW but I believe we covered some of the best roads today. Hope everyone else enjoyed the ride as much as I did!
Big thanks go out to Mr.Mike for lead taken on New Years day, was a great day to ride w/great group of riders. Despite my self-induced paranoia of local low life,bolt-cutter toting,chain cutters that took my loading ramp & then broken chain at start, it was still a good time/stretch of the legs after extended period out of saddle.

My GPR dampner puked a seal that day, I have dis-assembled & replaced O-rings but can't seem to find any info on weight of oil to put in that puppy even on GPR website. I'm assuming 5W to 15W fork oil but would like to ask for suggestions on fluid to fill with. Also question on how to bleed air out, it's an older(original) GPR dampner with two threaded plugs on top cover & two plugs on vertical back side of reservoir body ??

I also need to ask Vic for address (via PM) so I can mail you replacement masterlink that you graciously donated to get me rolling again. I usually carry extra link & plate/pin tool but I left it all my beast's rear fender tool bag. I appreciate everyone who waited while I pieced together freak rock carnage, shite happens !!

Thanks again to VO, DW and Doug for assistance, extra thanks to Doug for not running my arss over while swimming in simple creek crossing (caught me up on my strict bi-weekly bath schedule)
Always a blast of fun w/you gent's & MissT,
JohnnyP

XR650L aka " THE BEAST " tad modify'd ( 2 far farkel'd )
KTM 454 MXC RFS
Safer thru trees @ 45 mph than on tarmac w/caged cell yapping clowns
HonMudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #22520
MadMax400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Gpr

JP,
Check your email.
I got the low down on the GPR thingy.. Did it all myself.
10W fork oil is standard on those.

If you need me to do it, let me know. takes 5min.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #22521
MadMax400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Street gear for sale

For any of you street/beast riders, I have a few things for sale if your interested.

Dainese spine protector: http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/mcy/3525170826.html

Arai Quantum helmet: http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/mcy/3526839931.html

Each one for $50
Old 01-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #22522
waysherr
Behind Bars For Life

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg7562 View Post
Everyone got their DVRs set to record the first stage of the Dakar tonight/tomorrow morning? 1:30am on NBC sports net, ch 827 on mediacom.

196 motorbike entries - only 2 Americans (Johnny Campbell and Kevin Muggleton). 161 car entries only 1 American (Robby Gordon and his navigator Kellon Walch). No americans on Quads or in Trucks. So your US picks are slim this year, as usual.

Kurt Casselli is riding in place of Marc Coma
Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #22523
waysherr
Behind Bars For Life

Oddometer: 401
Dakar

Casselli finished 2nd stage in 5th, moved up in overall from 35th to 11th. Not bad, considering he's there to "learn"...
Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #22524
livetosail
Wayward Traveler

Oddometer: 130
First time in Blackwater

I wrote this trip report and posted it in the Day Trippin section already, but I thought I'd put it on here. Figured you guys would be able to appreciate it a bit more.

It was a cloudy and grey morning threatening rain... and I couldn't wait to get on the road.

Since moving to Pensacola I have been to the beach almost every single day, but have yet to really find anything... shall we say 'motivating' in terms of areas to ride. I have heard about Blackwater River State Park quite a bit, however, so I thought I'd give it a shot and head out there on the last day of my two-week vacation from work.

Rain started falling on the uneventful ride there. I decided to push on and hope for the best.

The famed Blackwater River State Park. The park itself charges $4 for entrance, but my trusty map showed plenty of nice windy roads all throughout the area, so I decided to wander around a bit and look for some 'adventure.'

It didn't take long before I was winding my way through beautiful forest-covered roads and enjoying the scenery. And it wasn't long after that that I decided to venture off the beaten trail a bit further.

Most of the trails were decent hard pack dirt. The rain had already stopped (thankfully) so I was left to navigate my way through this beautiful area one trail at a time.

Some of the roads were absolutely beautiful red. For a while I pretended I was in Africa...

A few miles later the road started to get a little looser on the edges. I'm not particularly fond of walking through loose sand, let alone riding a 550lb bike through it. Pretty soon I found myself looking for alternative routes and wondering if I stopped would I be able to turn around...

And then this happened.

The road just sort of collapsed underneath me and I sank into foot-deep sand.

It was so thick I simply stepped off the bike and it stood up without any assistance.

I tried pushing it forward and backward; I tried rocking it; I tried walking it under power... nothing. I knew that if I bothered trying to give it any more gas the back tire would just bury itself deeper, so after a few minutes of brainstorming I figured the only thing I could do was to push the bike onto its side and drag the rear end around 180 until the bike was pointing back in the direction I had come.

I have the SW-MOTECH rack, which has nice handles which made it a bit easier... but only a bit.

The hardest part was getting the bike out of this two-foot hole it had created. I would plant my feet, grip the bike tightly, pull, slip on my butt, stand back up, and repeat.

But with some diligence and sweat I managed to get her turned around.

There was a sort of ditch along this side of the road that had channeled water, so I took a gamble and navigated toward it. I figured I already knew what the middle of the road was made of, and I really didn't want to wrestle this beast through half a mile of soft sand. I started off by walking it using clutch control in second gear. That was just enough to give me traction but not too much to start throwing sand and burying the rear end again.

After a few tense moments I was in the ditch and moving along nicely. I climbed back on the bike and crossed my fingers that I'd be able to make it back to where the trail descended into this soupy mess.

Freedom!

As I moseyed on down a few more trails, pretending like the last 40 minutes had been just a bad dream, I reflected on the irony that just this morning I had complained about the gas mileage I get with these Pirelli Scorpion Rally tires. I can only imagine what the trails would have been like with touring tires...

I wandered around for about an hour more, stopping now and then to make sure that everything was still on my bike where I had left it this morning, nothing was leaking, etc.

And to snap a few more sexy pictures of my bike, of course.

I eventually found my way out of this beautiful forest and back onto the tarmac as I headed for home. My lust for adventure had been sufficiently satisfied, and I got a decent workout as an added bonus!

The weather never cleared, and the ride home looked much like it had on the way in, but for my first trip through this region I had a blast.

Thanks to WoodsRider for giving me some great suggestions for the area. Sorry you couldn't come along today... but maybe that was for the best. :)
livetosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #22525
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,654
Glad you are enjoying the area

Thanks for taking the time to post. Its great to relive the discovery of Blackwater from the prespective of a new comer.

Lots of stuff out there. Not all is Beast friendly as you discovered.

You will get to know that area well... lost of rides coming up as the weather gets better and the days longer.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #22526
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by livetosail View Post
I wrote this trip report and posted it in the Day Trippin section already, but I thought I'd put it on here. Figured you guys would be able to appreciate it a bit more.

It was a cloudy and grey morning threatening rain... and I couldn't wait to get on the road.

Since moving to Pensacola I have been to the beach almost every single day, but have yet to really find anything... shall we say 'motivating' in terms of areas to ride. I have heard about Blackwater River State Park quite a bit, however, so I thought I'd give it a shot and head out there on the last day of my two-week vacation from work.

Rain started falling on the uneventful ride there. I decided to push on and hope for the best.

The famed Blackwater River State Park. The park itself charges $4 for entrance, but my trusty map showed plenty of nice windy roads all throughout the area, so I decided to wander around a bit and look for some 'adventure.'

It didn't take long before I was winding my way through beautiful forest-covered roads and enjoying the scenery. And it wasn't long after that that I decided to venture off the beaten trail a bit further.

Most of the trails were decent hard pack dirt. The rain had already stopped (thankfully) so I was left to navigate my way through this beautiful area one trail at a time.

Some of the roads were absolutely beautiful red. For a while I pretended I was in Africa...

Thanks to WoodsRider for giving me some great suggestions for the area. Sorry you couldn't come along today... but maybe that was for the best. :)
Glad you had a good day!

Next weekend, I will take you on a proper beast ride and I promise not to let my GPSs drain my battery!

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #22527
Gimmee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Gimmee's still dead scoot

Vic PM sent
Gimmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #22528
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Me too.
That pass on the last lap was fantastic.

And across the finish line when the second place rider and others congratulated the privateer guy............that was great!

About the ticket price,,for nosebleed seats and by the time you figured in parking and a shared snack and drink, I think we spent about $100.
Figure gas going up/back, hotel, eats,ect = pricey.

After things got settled down a bit in the Dome, we spotted some empty seats in a premo spot so we got up the courage, moved, and sat in a really good place.

Highland Park ain't that far away.
It would be fun to gather a bunch of us and do a camp/ride/sit together supercross weekend.
Share expense's and get a big bang out of the weekend.
I like everything about this post. It was really good to see the sportsmanship shown, I hate the tv promotors trying to stir up drama, seems like they were trying to get Reed to play into that..

Highland Park is definitely in my sights.. I would love to join, but given my schedule best to just count me out and maybe i'll get lucky and the stars will align, or they won't and I'll just go once my "probation" period is over at work and I can do swaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Its great to relive the discovery of Blackwater from the prespective of a new comer..

Had me reminiscing of my first experiences with true blue florida sandpits. And those early days showing others, and helping dig them out, and lines of 5 or more bikes, all going 5mph, all duckwalking their bikes, occasionally finding out that eating it in soft sand aint so bad.. This group has come a long ways..
Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #22529
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
6 or 7 years ago @ Eglin

Old 01-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #22530
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
Had me reminiscing of my first experiences with true blue florida sandpits. And those early days showing others, and helping dig them out, and lines of 5 or more bikes, all going 5mph, all duckwalking their bikes, occasionally finding out that eating it in soft sand aint so bad.. This group has come a long ways..
We have come a long ways but we still "eat it in soft sand"....

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote