User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #6676
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,668
Proof we were there.

Good ride today fellas. A little more road than I wanted but that what splorin s all about.

So we ride 60 hard dirt miles and I come home and twist my knee swimming in the pool!.

Got this sharp pain thing going on that just aint right. I hoping it will get better if I leave it alone.

Sorry WD no riding in the morning for me.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #6677
Shadowed_Stranger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Sorry I couldn't make it out... The XT had some... Mechanical issues...

I will take a picture of the bottom of the piston later, dented the sucker.
Shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #6678
sallad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
I've seen that before!
sallad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #6679
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,797
Izzat one of them racing 2 piece valves?

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #6680
sallad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z
Izzat one of them racing 2 piece valves?
It is now
sallad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #6681
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z
Just my $.02!
Damn Eloy I forgot you are the DR. of Z!

thanks for the info d00d, I am much better off for it

I was lookin at the giantloop stuff, pretty cool idear, definitely worth more research (waterproofness, durability, mounting since it doesnt use a rack)

The edge taillight looks awesome, but according to AMA blinkers actually are required in fl. maybe ill say screw it anyways

I have noticed the stock front fender throws dirt and especially water back up on me, so I dunno if it'd be too much worse. the fender "mod" is definitely on a back burner. as is the headlight cowling and vapor. stock is fine for now, just thoughts about future mods.

The other structural mod is the seat. I have the gel but it's a lil too narrow for my bony ass, and long days would be pretty painful. I like the look of the corbin madhouse has - much wider towards the middle/back. I don't care as much about the "softness"

The personal gear issue is a huge one, however. I am thinking ill just hit all the local shops to try on different gears. Now that I am riding a bike that really encourages hooliganism, attgatt makes much more sense.
For boots, Gaerne and sidi seem to be the only ones who give much of a shit about waterproofness. I can't believe how little companies care about this factor. Lookin at the sidi discoverers and the gaerne balances. effin pricey tho!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed_Stranger
Mechanical issues...
Tough break man, just remember it could be worse - you could be cleaning out a bottom end too!

pm me for details on that parts bike xt I have for you.

Hatch screwed with this post 07-17-2010 at 10:32 PM
Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:13 AM   #6682
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,139
JP's got the ultimate solution for waterproofing boots.

Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #6683
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Jer,

Waterproofness: get SealSkinz socks (have their own longevity drawbacks, as Buzz and i can tell you) or just deal with wet feet/pack extra wicking sox like i do.
+1 to that sheeet!! My SealSkinz rock! Hunnerd dollar boots with fourty dollar socks in em You gotta go the the high end alpine stars for the bootie option

On the skreet my Oxtar Matrix Gore-Tex boots are "waders dry" all day long, and I wear them to walk around work all the time. Did some trails on the KLX wearing them yesterday, and it feels like I'm in flip flops though. Rode home in the pouring rain. Everything but my feet were wet
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #6684
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Yea, my Discos aren't waterproof anymore since the shifter pad on the left boot wore through. Mug's right about the ankle protection. You don't have to worry about it because there isn't any. But damn, they sure are comfy to ride/walk in. I mainly bought them to ride trials but I've used them for DS rides more than trials.

I've got a pair of AXO MX boots and there's definitely more protection on those than my Discos but they are a PITA to walk in.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Old 07-18-2010, 07:23 AM   #6685
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,668
Protection = bucks

Pheadrus

IMHO = Do NOT skimp on two items. Boots and Helmet. Whats in between is up for debate.

Feet/Ankle/Knee are where off road injuries are most common. Hugh boots are chit to walk in but what you need to ride the woods - especially like you do.

The head part is obvious. Anywhere you ride.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:43 AM   #6686
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phædrus
The edge taillight looks awesome, but according to AMA blinkers actually are required in fl. maybe ill say screw it anyways
Jerry, I don't think you need turn signals in FL according to this...

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Equ...09-MSFlogo.pdf

Old 07-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #6687
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,922
well damn, thanks for the info on the sealskins, thats much cheaper than another pair of boots! according to everything I found they get 100% positive reviews.

Ive always wondered about JPs plastic-wrapped boots - guess that'd explain it!

Vico yer absolutely right. the foot protection has saved my arse many times, as well as the head. Those are two areas I aint willing to skimp - I was just hoping there'd be something perfectly middle of the road. but yet again, compromise is the word of the day. I am thinkin ill stick with the boots I got, and get me some sealskins. Already got plenny o helmets, always wear em.

Think ill get some of them sealskins gloves to wear under my mx gloves.
Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #6688
Mini Trail
n°°b

Oddometer: 2,139
What's up Bitches?

I'll be Mohoing back to Pensacola on the 23rd (Next Friday). Please think of me when planning rides. I could be up for a Sunday or after-work ride, maybe even Saturday. I'm partial to Eglin but up for anything. I have to get to Niceville sometime Friday. My permit expires Tuesday .

I would also eat dinner with some of you if you are into that kind of thing. We'll be staying in Navarre as usual.

I'm also looking for a side trip. The last couple of years year we did the Water Parks in Destin and Panama City beach for a day and a boat tour. I wanted to go to Weeki Wachee but it would take another whole day to get there. I would like to hear from you guys about family type fun places that could be a day trip.

Also, what is that place that had the free camping by the bay? You guys had an event there a couple years ago. We rode down there last Summer, but I can't remember what the road was like. Could I get the camper down there?

By klatubaradanikto at 2009-07-25
Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #6689
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail
I'll be Mohoing back to Pensacola on the 23rd (Next Friday). Please think of me when planning rides. I could be up for a Sunday or after-work ride, maybe even Saturday.
Thats good news Brian. I'll go too,,,,,,even if the knobbies arrive or not.
If the death-wings are still on the DRZ,,,,,,,the best protection is simply, ,,,, "don't crash".
It ruins everyones day.

May I suggest a ride along the gulf across the Innerarity Point bridge,,,,across the Perdido Pass bridge to Gulf Shores. They have a pretty good water park (Waterville USA)there if you'd like to do that with your family. Ft. Morgan is just west of there. Its a civil war fort/museum and if two ferries are running now, it would allow you a neat ride across the Mobile Bay to Ft. Gaines.
Kinda pricey for motorhomes though.

From there, heading north to the USS Alabama,,a WWII battleship tour with the submarine USS Drum and aircraft museum for the same entry fee. It would be a big circle trip that would take a day to do.

Real pretty over that way

Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #6690
Mini Trail
n°°b

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse
Thats good news Brian. I'll go too,,,,,,even if the knobbies arrive or not.
If the death-wings are still on the DRZ,,,,,,,the best protection is simply, ,,,, "don't crash".
It ruins everyones day.

May I suggest a ride along the gulf across the Innerarity Point bridge,,,,across the Perdido Pass bridge to Gulf Shores. They have a pretty good water park (Waterville USA)there if you'd like to do that with your family. Ft. Morgan is just west of there. Its a civil war fort/museum and if two ferries are running now, it would allow you a neat ride across the Mobile Bay to Ft. Gaines.
Kinda pricey for motorhomes though.

From there, heading north to the USS Alabama,,a WWII battleship tour with the submarine USS Drum and aircraft museum for the same entry fee. It would be a big circle trip that would take a day to do.
Good choices. I love Forts and airplane museums and battleships, but I'm not so sure about my family. I kind of like the idea of a motorcycle tour if we can stay off highways and stop often for the girls to rest. I was actually considering Waterville too.

I have to give you commend you for riding my 400 without complaint or incident. I got on it to ride 15 miles to some trails the other day and realised how bad shape it had gotten. The front tire was nearly flat, there is no damping whatsoever in the shock and the chain had eaten through the guide and into the swingarm making a lot of scary racket. It's up on blocks getting the engine and swingarm removed for a refurb before racing starts back. I think it will be the last season for it and I'll start looking for a newer two stroke.