Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #61
NoleDiver
trees are hard

Oddometer: 871
Looks like a lot of great riding over there. Keep me posted on the next one!
Old 04-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #62
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTjerry
hey rob, I'll join ya on that venture sunday before I gotta work, I'll probably be gettin out there earlier though cause works at 3.. which side are you coming from? 87 or 85?
Sent you a PM. I like to park on 87 at the Yellow river bridge. I don't have any plans until noon, so let me know something.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #63
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,806
Great freakin ride today fellas!
I look like rudolph, need to remember to sunblock the schnozz next time
I must say, I cant wait to hit the trails again with you guys, we seemed to form a pretty cohesive group and everyone knows how to handle themselves pretty well. Once everyone gets legal for the range, things are really gonna be on! Maybe the first weekend in may?

heres the only pic I took today - Tony's mad 1wheel skillz

next blackwater ride, we oughta get some pics on those whoops on that first road we hit - especially with mug's insane R80

Rob- check yer pm's mayne
Old 04-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #64
RearView
Caveman Philosopher

Oddometer: 532
Great ridin witchya yesterday fellas. Glad you made it out, Jerry. Always nice to meet a friendly new chap. I'm gonna try to ride out Friday to get my Eglin permit and maybe explore a little. Get off of work at noon and will probably head over right away. Anyone let me know if you would like to accompany me.

Agreed for pics on the whoops. It's so difficult when you are enjoying a ride to remember to take pics. Or if everyone is enjoying the ride, it's tough to get someone off their bike while everyone else does whoops.

I'll probably head back to BW this weekend if all goes well. Saturday as usual I believe. Well, got the bikes on the trailer so I'm out. Going to show the little gal some of the trails at BW.

Love that pic of Tony, nice shot Jerry.
RearView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #65
Hatch
PAR OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RearView
Agreed for pics on the whoops. It's so difficult when you are enjoying a ride to remember to take pics. Or if everyone is enjoying the ride, it's tough to get someone off their bike while everyone else does whoops. Love that pic of Tony, nice shot Jerry.
Thanks man, its not bad for my cheapo camera (and no problems with any sand in the lens either )
as for the whoops, we'll just have to hang out there for a while so everyone gets their airtime immortalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwest
Relaxation Canyon
ha, I like that

Quote:
I think the only solution is a helmet cam with a firing button on the grips-- look and shoot
Now that would be sweet
Quote:
I'm like a crack fiend now with that 606. Never before has "when in doubt, throttle out" worked so well
I felt the exact same when I put mine on - immediately upon hitting the sand -- WHOA so this is what its supposed to do!
Quote:
Kept looking for Jerry and Rob, and saw a single set of tracks on the westbound side of the road-- they looked like 606 trax-- was that you Jer?
Nah, woke up and Rob called to tell me he still had a couple hours before he'd be out and I honestly was pretty beat after working an 8 hour shift after riding all day long, so today was used to recharge the batteries.

I saw that same blue suburban coming outta one of the closed areas on 211 when I got my permit, I remember thinking "I hope he doesnt run it and it doesn't come up cause I just got this thing" But I was goin pretty slow and he seemed in a hurry in the opposite direction. Interesting stuff you found out - good investigative work. That very well may impact the manner in which we/I ride out there. As you said, theyre right next to eachother so if we get tired of EG we can just tar it to BW an be good.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #66
marcwestbmw
Walkin' Mans Friend

Oddometer: 489
Greetings from Mobile. I've ridden with Robklx400 quite a few times. We're kinfolk.

So,I was hoping to ride with you guys Sunday. But, I ended up searching for dirt roads to link Mobile to Leaksville,Ms. I'm trying to eventually link dirt to the TAT.

With regards to Eglin, if you read your maps, you'll notice as of 4/21 everything east of 85 is closed to motorized vehicles until hunting season starts 9/31. Also everything south of Rattle Snake Bluff rd is out. So, that leaves west of 87 open and the main through roads.

That's why I really wanted to get there Sunday to ride with you guys.

Now that we know they're following tracks, we should have some fun with them. You know, erase turn arounds,backtrack, that kind of stuff.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #67
Hatch
PAR OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcwestbmw
Now that we know they're following tracks, we should have some fun with them. You know, erase turn arounds,backtrack, that kind of stuff.
just tie a pine bough to the rear fender to wipe clean the tire tracks - stealth riding!

hope to see ya at the next one marcwest!

oh and heres a linky for yall -- erzberg!
http://www.enduroaterzberg.com/
Old 04-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #68
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Mugwest, sorry we missed you. What time were you riding on Rattlesnake bluff? I met up with Dave & his wife at there house 5miles from 85/RSB. I also saw tracks of knobbies, but I was they only one with a 606. We rode up & down with a few stops along the Yellow river, then I had to head home. I think it was from 12:00 to about 5:30. We never saw the fuzz.

Rob Dirt screwed with this post 04-21-2008 at 05:41 PM
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #69
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Here's what we rode. It took along time going the speed limit or slower. Dave & his wife had 50/50 tires plus she is new to sand.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #70
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Hey all,

I have a plated KDX220, is there any legal single track out on EG?
I don't mind running a bit of sand road between sections, but the KDX is just not suited for running any distance at speed.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #71
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Thanks Mugwest,
I know numbered road running is fun on DS or ADV bikes, but not on a woods bike.
Thanks for the info, I was planning on getting a range permit, but now I'll pass.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #72
RearView
Caveman Philosopher

4/26

Hey Mr Mug,

I am planning on some BW action Saturday. Most likely an earlier day...one in which I in fact actually leave before sunset so I can get a damn thing done at home on the weekend. Hate when all that ridin' gets in the way of the chores. I'm still planning on hitting Jackson Guard tomorrow. Since I have little intention of exploring Eglin Friday and might head up to Holt for some of that bike nonsense(maybe take the Blackbird for a run down the dragstrip), I might ride the Blackbird, not that it makes any difference. I just won't be doing any Eglin action. My new stator cover comes in today, so I'll put it on and get oil back in the engine and see if the bike starts up. It has not been run since the case cracked on the lowside. That kitty better purr or else I'm going hunting for snowbirds. If not, DR650 it is which will result in some exploring. I'll call you tonight and tell you the results so you can let me know if you would like to accompany me over.

Inept, you are an . Not really, I just think that icon is the funniest sheist I've seen and I been wanting to use it. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Anyone wanting to ride out early on Sat. let me know. I was thinking 8-9ish at Shell. Lemme know.

BTW, Mug, thanks for the Fleabay tip. I won those puppies. had to have em. One of the most favorite pair of pants i have ever owned.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #73
RearView
Caveman Philosopher

Hey marcwestbmw

Hey there neighbor,

I'm the cat that never came to get those mags from you. When we started riding out at BW regularly, I shoulda shot ya' a PM. You should come down, there is some great terrain at Blackwater. I think our motley crew will be taking over to Eglin as well(for those of us who haven't been there yet) regualrly soon. Come out Saturday if ya' can. We always meet at Shell in Milton just North of 90(N of the BKing just into town on 90 from the West, I forget the darn road number). I usually take 10E to 281 over the bridge, then take it to 90 and East in. RobKLX, get your arse in gear. Come ride.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #74
ineptizoid
Dust. Wind. DUDE!

Oddometer: 4,926
RearView, no offense taken--I really am an--if the shoe fits, wear it, right? I've been working in the Alexander City, AL area all week and still have not taken care of the Eglin permit stuff, but I'll get around to it. And yeah, I'm game for some Blackwater riding Saturday. I've got some mowing to do Sat. AM but as soon as I'm done will be heading out to BW, will give you a call and join in progress...

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #75
sallad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
I was just riding back in Dixieland and I was riding along the gravel road on the zoo side. Does anyone know whats up with those red boxes and spinker head looking things?
sallad is offline   Reply With Quote