Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
very nice looks like you had a blast, awsome senery
bzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #14178
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,704
Pete--you're correct. Sometimes you've gotta make do with what you have. I'm pretty new at the soft-road thing, but I'm getting better.

On the voice narrative--I don't think it would be heard on the video, the mic on the camera is pretty bad. Plus I'm not much of a talker; most of it would be something along the lines of "what the heck, more sand?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Court View Post
Am I wrong in thinking that the doctor coopster is riding a 2fiddy street bike through there?!? I don't think I am, but I haven't backed up to check...

With Vic on the voice narrative!
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #14179
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,704

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestrider View Post
Courtny is selling Urals also, I saw one out there a few weeks ago, and stopped by to look at one yesteryday, but the sales guy told me Courtney was out riding it.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #14180
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,082
Lookin good Brett.
Your teasin us with those shots and I'll bet Dr Z's gonna enjoy this one fer sure:

Your gonna have another diamond in your crown for letting Rich tag along with you.
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #14181
Barney
I reckon so

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Lookin good Brett.
Your teasin us with those shots and I'll bet Dr Z's gonna enjoy this one fer sure:

Your gonna have another diamond in your crown for letting Rich tag along with you.
We may have a clone problem here on ADV.

I had a good time with Rich, hope I'm still riding at 75.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #14182
Barney
I reckon so

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzrider View Post
very nice looks like you had a blast, awsome senery
Had a blast Billy, you'd been right at home on your street bike.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #14183
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post

I had a good time with Rich, hope I'm still riding at 75.
Me too.

Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #14184
sperz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Anyone riding tomorrow? I'm thinking of heading out to blackwater.

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #14185
Barney
I reckon so

Luck

I was lucky on this trip, no flat tires, no animal strikes, weather was favorable until West Virginia, only dropped the bike once at slow speed, no bike problems until yesterday. Saturday was a long day, started out in NC, worked my way down to Wolf Pen Gap, rode a fun section of rocky Jeep trail near Suches and continued my way south and west on secondary roads stopping in Calhoun Ga. for lunch around 2:00. Tried to start the bike after lunch.....dead, no headlight, no starter, nothing. Play with the ignition for a bit, unload the bike, take the seat off, check fuses, wiring, play with the wires under the instrument panel and the KLR is alive again. Put it all back together, load up and head home, nervous, but I turn the bike off a couple times to fuel up and get home around 11:00 with no further issues. Today I started the bike a couple times, changed the oil and washed the bike before riding to Crestview for a going away dinner for Dirty with the justdualsport folks and its dead again, no luck reviving this time, had it towed home. Anyway I consider myself lucky that the bike got me home and didn't strand me in some undesirable part of Alabama last night.

Somebody, I think Rob, asked whether Norm got a ticket for hitting a tree. Answer is no, but he did mention a $15K helicopter ride.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #14186
ineptizoid
Welfare Bear

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperz1 View Post
Anyone riding tomorrow? I'm thinking of heading out to blackwater.
Howzabout tmw eve mang? I see ya got yer DR for sale in the Flea Market.

Quote:
I was lucky on this trip, no flat tires, no animal strikes, weather was favorable until West Virginia, only dropped the bike once at slow speed, no bike problems until yesterday. Saturday was a long day, started out in NC, worked my way down to Wolf Pen Gap, rode a fun section of rocky Jeep trail near Suches and continued my way south and west on secondary roads stopping in Calhoun Ga. for lunch around 2:00. Tried to start the bike after lunch.....dead, no headlight, no starter, nothing. Play with the ignition for a bit, unload the bike, take the seat off, check fuses, wiring, play with the wires under the instrument panel and the KLR is alive again. Put it all back together, load up and head home, nervous, but I turn the bike off a couple times to fuel up and get home around 11:00 with no further issues. Today I started the bike a couple times, changed the oil and washed the bike before riding to Crestview for a going away dinner for Dirty with the justdualsport folks and its dead again, no luck reviving this time, had it towed home. Anyway I consider myself lucky that the bike got me home and didn't strand me in some undesirable part of Alabama last night.

Somebody, I think Rob, asked whether Norm got a ticket for hitting a tree. Answer is no, but he did mention a $15K helicopter ride.
Hey Brett didn't yer KLR do the exact same thing out at Eglin last year? I never did ask you what that turned out to be. At any rate, I'm glad the beast got ya there & back; I hope mine does the same, I'm leaving next week. I've had a run of good luck with my KLR that's lasted 6 yrs and 28K miles, it's gotta end sometime, but hopefully not this summer.

You mentioned a $15K helicopter ride, another ADVer (BCGixxer) told me his post-crash helicopter ride cost the same thing. That's pretty strong. Makes my 40-mile $1500 ambulance ride look like a frikken bargain. I'm still kinda pissed that I didn't get any narcotics on that ambulance ride though; for $1500, they coulda at least given me a little Dilaudid. Or Fentanyl. Or even Percocet. Hell, I ain't picky. I woulda settled for a hit on some Cantonment Dirt Weed, and that's the triple truth. Ruth.

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #14187
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,884
Quote:
a $15K helicopter ride.
Thats about the going rate. I saw a local news story about the same thing not 2 days ago - I cannot believe medical/health insurance doesn't cover that shit!! unfreakinbelievable. whats really upsetting is the fact that there are so damn many that have no money (or jobs, or legal citizenship) that'll never pay it, but us law abiding citizens dont get any leeway with the insurance that practically puts us in the poor house to start with!

as for you, inept, from what ive heard your level of consciousness was altered, along with a possible head injury - which is a blatant contraindication for narcotics. hate it for ya but when yer really fucked up, they need you to stay how they found ya so you dont get any worse til they get you under an xray/mri/cat to make sure ya arent gettin worse (brain swelling, cephalic hematoma, spinal injury).

what really kills me about emergency medicine is how much the system gets abused regularly by some, who get away with it and never pay the piper, but an average joe eats shit and the medical system (mainly the insurance part of it) shovels another mouthful in after its all said and done.

I hope im still ridin by 75 too, cause hopefully thatll mean im more or less healthy and not in regular need of the "medical/insurance system" - dont even get me started on retirement/nursing homes!!
Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #14188
Barney
I reckon so

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post

Hey Brett didn't yer KLR do the exact same thing out at Eglin last year? I never did ask you what that turned out to be. At any rate, I'm glad the beast got ya there & back; I hope mine does the same, I'm leaving next week. I've had a run of good luck with my KLR that's lasted 6 yrs and 28K miles, it's gotta end sometime, but hopefully not this summer.
Battery went kaput last time, think its the ignition switch this time, we'll see. Only bike I've had to tow home, twice now.

Sending you a pm with coordinates for this campsite with a nice babbling creek.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #14189
ineptizoid
Welfare Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster View Post
Pete--you're correct. Sometimes you've gotta make do with what you have. I'm pretty new at the soft-road thing, but I'm getting better.
I tell ya what--once ya have the dirt riding thing down pat on a Ninja 250, it'll be a frikken breeze on a dualsport. In an earlier pic it looked like you were runnin a rear Kenda 761 on the front of yer Ninja; is that what it is? And if so, how's it handle on the street?

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #14190
ineptizoid
Welfare Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phædrus View Post
as for you, inept, from what ive heard your level of consciousness was altered, along with a possible head injury - which is a blatant contraindication for narcotics. hate it for ya but when yer really fucked up, they need you to stay how they found ya so you dont get any worse til they get you under an xray/mri/cat to make sure ya arent gettin worse (brain swelling, cephalic hematoma, spinal injury).
Yer most certainly right about all that, I'm sure they were followin SOP and it's good that they were. I still think that for $1500, I shoulda got more than a quick 40-mile ride to the hospital. I mean, come on--the female EMT didn't even show me her boobs! (Or was that a chubby male EMT with moobs? I really don't remember.)