User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
ScootTour OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
100% Tour scoot?

I have a city scoot (SportCity 250) which is good enough to get on the freeway and I have read article here about this scoot being used for touring. However...

I am thinking of having two scooters and if I do my other one will be nearly 100% for tours on the freeway. the most important thing for that kind of ride for me is comfort, speed and handling is not that important. I would use it from time to time in the city but we are talking about 90% long distance freeway, 10% city.

So with that,
SilverWing 600 or Burgman 650?
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootTour View Post
I have a city scoot (SportCity 250) which is good enough to get on the freeway and I have read article here about this scoot being used for touring. However...

I am thinking of having two scooters and if I do my other one will be nearly 100% for tours on the freeway. the most important thing for that kind of ride for me is comfort, speed and handling is not that important. I would use it from time to time in the city but we are talking about 90% long distance freeway, 10% city.

So with that,

Yes...

Both will do what you want.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,519
Since your most important consideration is comfort, nobody can answer this question for you. Only you can determine which is the most comfortable for you. Ride them both or at least sit on them both.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
ScootTour OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Since your most important consideration is comfort, nobody can answer this question for you. Only you can determine which is the most comfortable for you. Ride them both or at least sit on them both.
true, I have read the same thing in a few places here just lately. not to mention it appears someone has already asked this question nearly exactly as I have...oopsy.

They are so much alike it might just end up coming down to the deal I can find when I am ready more than anything else.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
true, I have read the same thing in a few places here just lately. not to mention it appears someone has already asked this question nearly exactly as I have...oopsy.

They are so much alike it might just end up coming down to the deal I can find when I am ready more than anything else.
There are differences. I have sat on both. I did not like the riding position of the SW. I thought the Burgman was much better but not great. Have you ridden or at least sat on them?

Old 07-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
I personally favor the Silverwing 600 over the Burgman 650

Having had the opportunity to ride both of them, as well as hear the opinions of others who have ridden both of them (I work at a Honda/Suzuki dealership) I have come to favor the Honda Silverwing 600 over the Burgman 650. Now of course this is just opinion, and many many Burgman 650 owners are happy with their choice. For overall power, the Burgman 650 is the leader. It is also over 80lbs heavier. The Suzuki has all the bells and whistles even as far as an electrically adjustable windscreen. The Honda on the other hand is more simple in it's design and offers the necessary amenities only while not sacrificing anything in the realm of reliability. The owner of the shop I work at own a Silverwing and prefers it to the Burgman. He regularly rides several hundred miles on it and will cruise at 70-80 all day long on the highways and interstates.

Having said that, the Burgman has been tried and true for many years as well, and has proven to be a steady touring platform.

If I found a great deal on a Burgman 650 that couldn't be passed, I'd likely trade in my preference and buy a Burgman over a Silverwing as well.

So, maybe the best deal wins eh?

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
ScootTour OP
Beastly Adventurer

I actually did get to sit on both at the same time (not exact same time of course) and I was left undecided.
I liked how the handle bars felt on the SWing better while the Burgman in that respect felt more like I was reaching out more. Seating however the Burgman won so its a bit of a toss up to me.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

In that case, go for the best deal.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I agree with Klaviator.

I've owned a Silverwing for over a year now, but to me, the B650 is more comfortable and ergonomic.
gumshoe4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 234
SW Burg or.............

Allow me to throw in my $.02, I have ridden al sorts of motorcycles over the last 40 yr. but when I saw the Yamaha Majesty I fell in love. I found a 3 yr. old Maj about 300mi. away for a reasonable price with about 1100mi. on her. I have ridden it since, but the one drawback was legroom. This year prior to a tour I investigated a couple options and ended up buying 2 3/4" outdoor cushions and affixing them to the seat with shrinkwrap (can you say hillbilly, I know you can). The difference was immediate and apparent.

Since I added 1 1/2" it effectively added 3" of legroom. Perfection , both on the keister and in the leg length. I had previously been able to ride about 3/4 hr. before I had to take my legs off the boards one by one and stretch them. The ride was great and now I have to find a qualified upholsterer to shape them and recover the seat. Total cost so far....less than $20.

Read all about our ride....http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ight=squampton
: ricky
Old 07-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,360
We recently bought two battle scooters. His Majesty and Her Majesty. This will do 100 indicated and cruises very easily at 75. I am actively looking for aftermarket seats...they are not comfortable for a long trip...though none of my stock motorcycle seats has ever been good for me either. These are good for in town and highway/freeway riding. It is also easy to go slow. I did a back road tour with my daughter on her 50cc...never over 42mph and I still had a great time. It is also holds a milk crate for my newest passenger.

I would highly recommend at least considering a Majesty.

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:

So with that,
Try both.

I can vouch for the Burg...I bought it for just that reason. Got a Chinese Burgman clone; and it was like a revelation...easy on and off, no worries about shifting. My hips are getting older and the BMW was a high climb. Time to sell...

...and I found a five-year-old Burgman Exec with less than 10,000 miles for about a third of what I sold the BMW for. The Exec is my new BMW; the serious cruiser. And it's living up to its intent.

Meantime, I got a Honda Ruckus...that takes care of urban and extreme scooting (commuting is "extreme" because our parking area is like a lunar landscape). The Chinese BurgKlone is sick and probably going to be put out of its misery. I may cut a deal on a Morphous - save the brick-and-mortar dealer the hassle of a warranty repair.

That covers me small, medium and large. What the hell? They're cheap to insure with Geico. All three together equal what I had invested in the Bimmer; and they add up to being more fun.

Go for it. If you find the Burgman seat too cramped, there's remedies...someone over at BurgmanUSA is selling Isuzu headrests modded to replace the butt-stop and making a surprisingly comfortable backrest.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Silverwing

If you have to finance, Suzuki has 0% financing for five years, you can't argue with that. My Silverwing is ten years old now w/65k on it. (it would have more but the military kept sending me places in the summer). I considered trading it for a new Burgman, but, the Burgman just looks bloated and heavy, and for just a small increase in performance,I couldn't see driving an ugly scooter. The Silverwing has served me well, is a great tourer, and looks good too.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Shirker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Suzuki GS500. No, don't laugh, ny son just spent a couple of months on one and he has already toured several thousand miles without problem. Mileage and acceleration probably better, comfort and mileage probably better. Maintenance, probably better. Cost, probably, no definitely better.
Just sayin'.
Shirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
MQracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Don't count out the 400 to 500 cc scooters like the Majesty, Burgman 400, BV500, scarabeo 500, etc.

I have a Burgman 400 and ride the PA turnpike (on my way upstate to my land) and can move right along
with traffic and if I'm feeling racy I can be the lead dog.

I like the Burg 400 cause it's light and very nimble yet "heavy" enough that it is fully highway capable.
It'll run 75 with plenty of extra omph left for yet more passing duty.

I like the wing and rode one--- it definitely does have more bottom end torque than the Burg 400. Never
rode the burg 650--- it's just to portly for me to consider it as a buy. Plus the Burg 400 actually has more
storage than the 650.

Don't count out the lil' guys completely.
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1963 SHL M11 Lux
MQracing is offline   Reply With Quote