ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #31
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW La. (USA)
Oddometer: 312
Love to have either

Howdy,

Several years ago, yours truly test-drove a lightly used Majesty (It might've been a Burgman 400, but cannot recall) and came away mightily impressed; it was like floating on a cloud, compared to my little 125cc Daelim-which was no slacker.
I'd probably go with the lightly used model that has the best and or closest dealership. I believe that the Majesty's (What a cool bike!) front turn signal lights are always "on" and simply go from "off" to "on" repeatedly when employed for a turn, thus they'd burn out faster than a traditional turn signal light. OTOH, this would also improve frontal visibility and could prove a life-saver at intersections. Now, I've a hankering for a Majesty/Burger 400!

LarryRickenbacker screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 07:49 AM
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #32
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer
 
gumshoe4's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 842
Majesty's a great bike...I have a friend who rode one for some years and she really liked it...but it doesn't fit me at all and the Burg 400, also a great bike, does...

Sit on both and ride both if you can...
__________________
Bob
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #33
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,498
I looked at a new Burgman, and a leftover new Majesty. The Majesty was over $1000 cheaper. Beware of the Burgman, it still requires valve adjustments REAL often, and it is an all say procedure, you have to tear the whole scooter apart. This must be done on purpose, because modern technology makes it unnecessary to build a scooter or motorcycle that requires it's valves to be adjusted at all.

The Majesty will go 26,000 miles before requiring a valve adjustment (which would take me about 2 years), but apparently when it does need one it is a '$600+ job at a dealer. I don't even know if it is feasible for an owner to do it.

Valve adjustments seem to be the Achilles Heel of pretty much all maxi scooters. Which is a shame, because I could probably be easily persuaded to lay down ten grand for one if it was as reliable and easy to maintain as most modern motorcycles.
__________________
2002 Vulcan 750 (engine out, slowly being disassembled) 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
2012 Zuma 125, 1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #34
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer
 
HandKPhil's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southeast Michigan
Oddometer: 457
Majesty bars are adjustable

Quote:
Originally Posted by newo2u View Post
Sit on them. Majesty had no leg room to speak of. Kept hitting the handlebars on my knees. Burgman 400 had no such issues. Burger was just more comfortable and I liked the dual front discs.

Leftover '08 Burgman 400. N. Jax Motorsports....$5150 OTD.

Replacing Kymco People S250.

You know the Majesty handlebars are adjustable, right? Just take off the plastic covers, loosen the handlebar clamps and rotate the bars up. Done. I'm 6'-1" with a 34 in. inseam, and I have plenty of room on my Majesty.

My '09 Majesty has some fantastic front brakes, by the way. Never drove a Burger 400 though, so I can't really compare 'em. I do think the Majesty has way better styling. The chrome mirrors on the Burger just look so 1979...
__________________
HandKPhil
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #35
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Ohio
Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

Valve adjustments seem to be the Achilles Heel of pretty much all maxi scooters. Which is a shame, because I could probably be easily persuaded to lay down ten grand for one if it was as reliable and easy to maintain as most modern motorcycles.
Don't even need a feeler gauge to adjust my Reflex valves! Remove beltcase airfilter ( to turn crank ), timing mark plug, loosen two bolts.
With a few variator mods, they accelerate well, too.
Used, low mileage ones go for under $3000.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #36
samc
just me.....
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Waikoloa, HI
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I looked at a new Burgman, and a leftover new Majesty. The Majesty was over $1000 cheaper. Beware of the Burgman, it still requires valve adjustments REAL often, and it is an all say procedure, you have to tear the whole scooter apart. This must be done on purpose, because modern technology makes it unnecessary to build a scooter or motorcycle that requires it's valves to be adjusted at all.

The Majesty will go 26,000 miles before requiring a valve adjustment (which would take me about 2 years), but apparently when it does need one it is a '$600+ job at a dealer. I don't even know if it is feasible for an owner to do it.

Valve adjustments seem to be the Achilles Heel of pretty much all maxi scooters. Which is a shame, because I could probably be easily persuaded to lay down ten grand for one if it was as reliable and easy to maintain as most modern motorcycles.
2007 and later Burgman (Burgmen for more than one?) have shim/bucket lifters, valve adjustment interval is something like 16k miles (forget exactly, it's a long time, though). It was the pre '07 ones that needed adjustment every week or so.
samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #37
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: sOHi
Oddometer: 117
Idk about adjustable handlebars on majesty. You have to remove the brake hoses and reservoirs to get at the screws for that cowling from what I've read. I will say that I did not like the maj when I sat on it at the dealer, but after test riding one I had to buy it.

Fwiw I went majesty after asking the same question you have. I have a Yamaha dealer an hour away ( large part of decision) and the pre 08 models of Burgman 400 had so many little problems that I was afraid of the newer ones.

Btw, if it plays in I my majesty ranges from 59 to 61 mpg and I have run it over 100, but it felt like 110mph is probably all it has......of you will be comuting on the autobahn you may want a 600.

My wife and 10 yr old son both complain that the pillion is too wide to be comfortable on the majesty if you have company often. Ok because the acceleration is not impressive two up anyhow, still climbs hills well though.
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #38
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer
 
HandKPhil's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southeast Michigan
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by creighta View Post
Idk about adjustable handlebars on majesty. You have to remove the brake hoses and reservoirs to get at the screws for that cowling from what I've read. I will say that I did not like the maj when I sat on it at the dealer, but after test riding one I had to buy it.

Fwiw I went majesty after asking the same question you have. I have a Yamaha dealer an hour away ( large part of decision) and the pre 08 models of Burgman 400 had so many little problems that I was afraid of the newer ones.

Btw, if it plays in I my majesty ranges from 59 to 61 mpg and I have run it over 100, but it felt like 110mph is probably all it has......of you will be comuting on the autobahn you may want a 600.

My wife and 10 yr old son both complain that the pillion is too wide to be comfortable on the majesty if you have company often. Ok because the acceleration is not impressive two up anyhow, still climbs hills well though.
You don't have to remove anything but a plastic cover to adjust the Majesty handlebars. It's literally an eight minute job. My Majesty seems to be one of the good ones that gets 55-60 mpg too.
__________________
HandKPhil
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #39
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer
 
damasovi's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Ensenada, Baja California
Oddometer: 2,584
very interesting tread!

Damasovi
__________________
A motorcycle or scooter always turn a bad day into a great time!
KLR 650, Honda Beat scooter!!
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014