ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Kelvininin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Moving to Minneapolis this summer.

We are moving our family from Seattle to Minneapolis this summer... Why would we commit to such lunacy, to winter? My wife and I are both from the Midwest and we want to be closer to family. And we have a 6 month old kid.

I am interested in reaching out to other adventure and road riders to well... Ride together.

I am not from MN but I am from Michigan with my last 6 years in the mitten state living in the UP, Houghton. I moved to Seattle in 2004.

Our offical last day in Seattle is 7/14. We are looking at houses in the Wayzata / Plymouth area. My wife will be working at the University, and I found a job in Chanhassen.

I ride a 2012 Super Tenere... So... Where are the good places to ride?
Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Anokan
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 307
I built a sweet jump in the backyard.

Neighbors gripe about the noise, but I usually keep riding until they start throwing bottles.
Anokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
dsm_rally
The Lorax

Oddometer: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvininin View Post
I am interested in reaching out to other adventure and road riders to well... Ride together.
You'll find all the central ADVers you can handle at the Central ADV Rally in Eagle, WI in August. It's a fantastic Time!! Seriously, it's not to be missed.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937623
Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,599
What DSM Rally said

And you may as well go here....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9931&page=1169

This is what you are getting yourself into!

They will know all the good rides. (most seem to involve "pie")

When I grew up there.... We would just cross over into WI and ride the "alphabet" roads.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,152
Welcome! Head up to Superior National Forest and check out the Lake Superior Shore in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion

jwalters screwed with this post 05-31-2014 at 08:41 PM
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,696
Welcome!

Things we do:

Photo tag game
Meet and Greets
Invade local club rallies
Sombody linked CADVR already
Pancakes, second Sunday at Diamonds in NE Minneapolis
Team Lyle 8hr Rally gets a bunch of us (Jul 19)

Other area 'attractions'
Last Tuesday at Sir Ben's in Duluth
First Thursday at Dulonos in S. Minneapolis

But mostly somebody posts in the BS thread that they are going somewhere for PIE! and then a few people ride there to eat PIE! and then we talk a bit more about PIE! or burn a piano or something. PIE! Thread

Not really a group ride crowd, though it happens occasionally, usually not more than a handfull of people. Vato Jinete is out your way, Get_Bent is not far.

Speaking of Get_Bent, he set up a sweet email list for emergencies.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,696
Plymouth... there is serviceable Indian food in the strip mall by the Target off 494 and Rockford Road. I dunno much else.

Putting on my millennial / hipster hat for a moment

The drive to Chanhassen from inner suburbs / SW minneapolis would be easy (revers of most traffic) and vastly lessen your wife's drive to the U, which, from Plymouth, will suck. Yes, lots of people do it. That doesn't make it a great idea.

If you can afford Wayzata you can afford the older part of Edina, the nicer part of st. louis park, hopkins, etc.

There was supposed to be a light rail line connecting Eden Prarie / Minnetonka / Hopkins to downtown with transfers / connections to the U, but bickering between cities on the route may have already squashed it. Time will tell. But living near that could be an alternative to the hell of getting from the west metro to the U by car on a daily basis.

http://metrocouncil.org/Transportati...hwest-LRT.aspx

If you decide Plymouth is the pace for you, there are some express buses from park and rides and they take about an hour.

http://www.metrotransit.org/imap/map.aspx

Or your wife can lose two hours of her life every day sitting in a car in traffic.

/millennial hipster

In the interest of full disclosure I met a woman and moved from the city to exurban shitshow Anoka County, so I know of which I speak. And I understand that more goes into housing choices than traffic. Good luck!
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
propforward
Nice Chap

Oddometer: 11,678

They already gave all the good advice. I have nothing to add - useful or otherwise.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
You will need to share your love for the Tenere with HBL!!

Welcome!!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
Kelvininin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Plymouth... there is serviceable Indian food in the strip mall by the Target off 494 and Rockford Road. I dunno much else.

Putting on my millennial / hipster hat for a moment

The drive to Chanhassen from inner suburbs / SW minneapolis would be easy (revers of most traffic) and vastly lessen your wife's drive to the U, which, from Plymouth, will suck. Yes, lots of people do it. That doesn't make it a great idea.

If you can afford Wayzata you can afford the older part of Edina, the nicer part of st. louis park, hopkins, etc.

There was supposed to be a light rail line connecting Eden Prarie / Minnetonka / Hopkins to downtown with transfers / connections to the U, but bickering between cities on the route may have already squashed it. Time will tell. But living near that could be an alternative to the hell of getting from the west metro to the U by car on a daily basis.

http://metrocouncil.org/Transportati...hwest-LRT.aspx

If you decide Plymouth is the pace for you, there are some express buses from park and rides and they take about an hour.

http://www.metrotransit.org/imap/map.aspx

Or your wife can lose two hours of her life every day sitting in a car in traffic.

/millennial hipster

In the interest of full disclosure I met a woman and moved from the city to exurban shitshow Anoka County, so I know of which I speak. And I understand that more goes into housing choices than traffic. Good luck!

Thanks for the pointers... I believe that Wayzata is wishful thinking, it has good schools but it ain't cheap, and our budget is modest. We are trying to target more north. My wife's immediate family lives in the Brooklyn Park / Coon Rapids area, and the houses up there are cheaper as well. Just have to pay attention to the school districts.

Edina looks like it may be a little too urban for me... If I had my way we would live on acreage in Delano, but to keep the peace, I would be willing to settle on a suburban location with a big garage. I have more or less lived just outside of Seattle for the past decade and I am pretty worn down on "city life." I believe a commute for both of us is inevitable.

I would love to make the rally this year but I already have vacation plans for the begining of August..

Pie? Now that's option.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #11
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post

They already gave all the good advice. I have nothing to add - useful or otherwise.
That is not true. You know all the cheap strip joints.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #12
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 3,986
It's a great place to raise a family.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
Kelvininin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
You will need to share your love for the Tenere with HBL!!

Welcome!!

I wouldn't say I love the Tenere... Its kind of a Jack of all trades... I love the Victory Vision I had before the Tenere, but on the Vision when the Pavement ends so did the ride.

The Tenere is simply a practical, capable, scooter, that currently suits my needs and riding style the best, and is very low maintenance.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvininin View Post
Thanks for the pointers... I believe that Wayzata is wishful thinking, it has good schools but it ain't cheap, and our budget is modest. We are trying to target more north. My wife's immediate family lives in the Brooklyn Park / Coon Rapids area, and the houses up there are cheaper as well. Just have to pay attention to the school districts.

Edina looks like it may be a little too urban for me... If I had my way we would live on acreage in Delano, but to keep the peace, I would be willing to settle on a suburban location with a big garage. I have more or less lived just outside of Seattle for the past decade and I am pretty worn down on "city life." I believe a commute for both of us is inevitable.

I would love to make the rally this year but I already have vacation plans for the begining of August..

Pie? Now that's option.
Shoreview is a nice area. North side of the Twin Cities right between Mpls and St. Paul. Easy access to 694/494 loop. Good school district and reasonably priced homes. 10 minutes to Coon Rapids via Hwy 10.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #15
Kelvininin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstPath View Post
Shoreview is a nice area. North side of the Twin Cities right between Mpls and St. Paul. Easy access to 694/494 loop. Good school district and reasonably priced homes. 10 minutes to Coon Rapids via Hwy 10.

What would the traffic be like from Shoreview to Chanhassen? My commute will be to Chanhassen and back everyday and need to be able to make it without discharging firearms.

I am no stranger to traffic but less is better.