ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: .
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #3646
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner
See edited tag post.

the third was on a bike path that was marked "No motorized vehicles"; so of course I did not drive over that one.

sure
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #3647
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,991
Quote:
See edited tag post.

This was a pretty cool tag. Troy is a really cool little town and I don't think that I have ever been there.

I was reminded on the ride there why there not many tags in the "No Tag Zone". OH-55 is about a nickle short of being exciting.

What a great night for a ride. I took some photos and then wandered home from there. I crossed a road marked as a byway and turned onto that and found 3 very cool covered bridges all within about 5 miles of each other. Two of them could actually be driven on and the third was on a bike path that was marked "No motorized vehicles"; so of course I did not drive over that one.
Glad you had a good tour. Now I guess I have to burst your bubble. Those three covered bridges are old tags. Including the million dollar walkway bridge on the bike path to nowhere.
The Co Hwys that parllel Plain city North Lewisburg rd is a fun little trip along the Darby in the summer.
Yes, there is a reason that not many post tags in the Farnsy No Tag Zone. However, there is some fun stuff there so you might see a few more out that way this year.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:38 AM   #3648
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Nah - no bike renting for me.... There are actually 4 bikes at my mom/dad's house that I'm welcome to while in town... The bad thing is that my gear is still south...I rode a little the weekend before last with a borrowed helmet and jacket that flopped around, borrowed vented gloves, and my sneakers....

I found that I really just don't feel right without my own proper fitting gear... I'm thinking I'll probably ride up on my next trip north - we'll see...

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:30 AM   #3649
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,674
ooh, it's been almost a year since this....

z@ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #3650
Mr. 0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Tag mac-o-chee castle

Mr. 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #3651
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,018
nice work.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #3652
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 0
Tag mac-o-chee castle

Nice Taggin', O.

This game is starting to get hard to keep up with.

BTW, I have all of the tag locations in Google Earth format, gpx format, and Garmin Mapsource format (these were converted from the Google Maps file which is on Page 1 of this thread). For the Mapsource file, I have filled in the link box with the post for the tag so that a single click will take you to the post. I would be happy to post these files somewhere if somebody would tell me how to do it, or send you an e-mail with the files attached if you send me a PM.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #3653
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 788
And I suppose you are going to use the fact that the forum server was down for 6 hours as a flimsy excuse for not having the new tag up.

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #3654
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,991
Quote:
And I suppose you are going to use the fact that the forum server was down for 6 hours as a flimsy excuse for not having the new tag up.
We felt you needed an excuse to get away from the computer and go for a ride.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #3655
bruceride
City Boy

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1
So you werent crazy, that isnt on 93 then?
Well, let's not go that far. I might actually be crazy, but the tag wuz not on 93. Heck, I rode right past, too. You'd a thought I'd have had that image burned in my brain after I searched for it for a whole evening!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #3656
Mr. 0
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I didn't even know the servers were down. I posted the grab from my Blackberry, and I just got home a few minutes ago from getting the new tag. It'll be up in a bit. I just need to upload the pics and whatnot.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #3657
Mr. 0
Gnarly Adventurer

New tag.

Since there was a request for the tags to move to NW Ohio, I figured I would.

This is as far NW as one can get in Ohio. As a matter of fact, the bike is in both Indiana, and Michigan, but I'm standing in Ohio to take the pic.

The "M" that you see in the pavement is a maintenance cover. If it weren't partially paved over it could be opened to reveal the survey mark denoting the NW corner of Ohio.

You can also see what's left of the old survey stone. The stone in the forground lines up with the benchmark, and the road sign in the background.

If you get to this, you've gone just a few feet too far. But it gives you a place to pull off if you want to look around.

I was able to get there entirely on paved roads, though it does turn to gravel just past the state line. There are also a lot of gravel roads in the area. I guess I just happened to take the right route.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #3658
Mtn.Bound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 0
I was able to get there entirely on paved roads, though it does turn to gravel just past the state line. There are also a lot of gravel roads in the area. I guess I just happened to take the right route.
Or the wrong route depending on what your up for
Mtn.Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #3659
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Great thing about NW Ohio is that it's real hard to get lost or turned around as most all the secondary roads are laid out on a 1-mile square grid.

There's one road just east of me that runs 30 miles and is dead straight except for one little S-curve and a real gradual (almost non existent) bend. You can take it from Lincoln Highway (old U.S. 30) clear up to the Maumee River near Independence Dam, and once you leave Putnam county it turns to gravel as it's right on the border of Defiance and Henry counties. Basically both counties claim maintaining the road is the others responsibility.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #3660
Mtn.Bound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious
Great thing about NW Ohio is that it's real hard to get lost or turned around as most all the secondary roads are laid out on a 1-mile square grid.
The county roads back in CO are laid out like that. Odds running NS evens run EW I lived just east of 15 between 20 and 22
made it easy to give directions
Mtn.Bound is offline   Reply With Quote