ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: .
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #7336
drsales
Wondering Why

Oddometer: 386
Go east towards Bristol and ride the Snake US 421. Then go north and ride, on Rt 16 past Marion up to Rt 61 or 460/19 then catch 77 and head north. Great riding and friendly people, plus not too crowded.

Have fun, ride safe.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #7337
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,410
Thumb

Thank you, I had planned on riding the snake since the mudslide. I still want a T shirt that says deals gap. Lelaving the campground today.

David
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 AM   #7338
kenoh2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hope you have a great time in NC!

I will probably not make the trip this year due to my new job. As most report, the Dragon is usually crowded on nice days, especially weekends. One Dragon ride a year is enough for me. If there was a better route to get into the area, we'd take it. We ride straight through and the Dragon is near the end of a 600 mile day. It's not much fun when your tired.
There are so many nice roads in Western NC to ride that the Dragon should be a sidenote.
- 28 just East of the Dragon (Hellbender 28) is a decent ride but it's much better past 74 toward Franklin.
- The Cherohala Skyway is my favorite. Very light traffic and almost void of side roads entering for 40 miles. This road was made for ST's!

We stay at the Kickstand Lodge every year. It's just East of the Ironhorse Lodge on 28. A very layed-back place and a lot of fun. They have fantastic meals at breakfast and supper for a donation. This is a motorcycle campground not just a hotel that caters to bikers. They really make you feel like family, you'll probably even be offered the opportunity to wash the dishes. Spend a relaxing evening by the campfire watching sport bikes heading East from the Dragon with the state police on their tail. Oh yeah, it is a dry county so bring your own refreshments if you are so inclined.
kenoh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #7339
sangfroid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Tag!

I'll get the new tag up ASAP.

BEAN
Old 05-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #7340
David R

Nice quick grab!

Planning my route now... Looking at the routes posted above. Thanks for the advice. I will post after the ride. I will also watch to see where the tag is dropped. I am an addict.

David :)
Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #7341
sangfroid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Bext tag:

The money shot:

Closer:

The other side:

(Somehow I sense this was a hell-of-a-man. Probably wise, caring, and incredibly tough. He even shared his gravestone with his wife. )

This is on a road named for this family, in southern Brown County. Within sight in the direction my MC is facing is DeVore Road.

BEAN

Edit: I need to cut my fingernails...Bext?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #7342
David R

Question

What do you folks think?

421 from Richmond?

David
Old 05-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #7343
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh2
If there was a better route to get into the area, we'd take it.
US33 to the Blue Ridge Pkwy to 441 through the Smokies. Takes 1.5 days but its the best route, IMO.

I concur with your assessment of Cherohala.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #7344
kenoh2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
[quote=MeefZah]US33 to the Blue Ridge Pkwy to 441 through the Smokies. Takes 1.5 days but its the best route, IMO.

We take I-75 in order to make it in one day. Reaching the Kickstand by supper time makes the slab tolerable.

441 through Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are to be avoided like the plague at certain times. If you get caught in the tourist traffic you will want to take off your helmet and beat your own brains in with it.

This talk has got me a little bummed about missing the trip this year. I was thinking about getting a couple guys to hit SE Ohio this weekend for an overnighter. Probably will ride 555, 536 and others in the general area. Can anyone recomend a campground in the vicinity without a thousand screaming kids? Are there any motorcycle resorts in OH like they have in NC?

Sorry about being off of the tagging topic. I searched elsewhere but came up empty.
kenoh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #7345
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh2
Can anyone recomend a campground in the vicinity without a thousand screaming kids? Are there any motorcycle resorts in OH like they have in NC?
I suppose the closest thing might be Kaeppners place...
I haven't been the myself but Bill is cool and a inmate besides... Buckeye Dualsporter

http://www.kaeppnerswoods.com/compon...mid,6/catid,9/

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch

SlipChip screwed with this post 05-26-2010 at 11:10 AM
SlipChip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #7346
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer: 511
Oh no!!! I've been Bruced!

Oh well, it was a nice 400 mile ride today with the KLR.

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom.
MeanStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #7347
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanStreaker
Oh no!!! I've been Bruced!

Oh well, it was a nice 400 mile ride today with the KLR.
Bummer!

Hey, got any extra Appleseed project stickers like whats on your KLR fairing?

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #7348
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

I have one extra of each of the stickers. And I don't think those are being made anymore, as there's a redesign coming so they can be smart this time and have the URL on them.......so these'll be collectible.

PM me your address, and I can send you the oval one. I was hooked up with an OH ADV sticker out of the goodness of someone's heart last year.

If anyone on here wants to attend an Appleseed event (Rifle Marksmanship - hit out to 500 yards)... PM me and I'll get you registered for free. Women and children under 21 already attend free, so it's a great family event.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #7349
David R

Meanstreaker, I have many more bruces than tags. I love it.

I was ON MY WAY to circletown for the steam engine and the tag had been taken. That is not even getting bruced. What do you call it?

David
Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #7350
MeanStreaker
KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Hehe, I left for that Killen tag at 8 this morning. Figured I should get an early start since it was 2.5 hours one way.