ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: .
. 0 0%
. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #10381
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
The adventure is in the riders soul, not the bike.

Stolen. Thanks.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #10382
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Stolen. Thanks.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #10383
GregsBro
a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanBA View Post
Next up

Very nice Bike.

I used to have this one
GregsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #10384
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
I'm a noob, so pardon my ignorance, but is that considered an adventure bike? If it doesn't have knobbies and a high front fender, I'm still trying to figure out what makes a bike suitable for off road use.
Since these guys prefer to give you the "real" answer, I'll attempt to give you the expected answer.

Usually bikes designed with some off-road and street legal in mind are grouped into 2 categories. The lighter bikes that resemble dirt bikes with plates and lights are dual-sports. The heavier bikes capable carrying loads of luggage but still having decent suspension travel and usually having larger diameter front wheels are "adventure bikes". e.g. WR250R dual-sport, BMW R1200GSA adventure. Obviously there is much over lap between the categories and with other types of bikes.

Atleast that is how I see it.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #10385
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
Since these guys prefer to give you the "real" answer, I'll attempt to give you the expected answer.

Usually bikes designed with some off-road and street legal in mind are grouped into 2 categories. The lighter bikes that resemble dirt bikes with plates and lights are dual-sports. The heavier bikes capable carrying loads of luggage but still having decent suspension travel and usually having larger diameter front wheels are "adventure bikes". e.g. WR250R dual-sport, BMW R1200GSA adventure. Obviously there is much over lap between the categories and with other types of bikes.

Atleast that is how I see it.

Craig
Yes, but what makes it an adventure bike? I wouldn't slap knobbies on a Buelll Blast and hit the dirt. Is there something physical (ie, the amount of suspension travel) with the heavier bikes, like a V-Strom, that allow them go offroad?

ETA: Two days and no tag. Rain sucks!

Old 10-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #10386
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Yes, but what makes it an adventure bike? . Is there something physical (ie, the amount of suspension travel) with the heavier bikes, like a V-Strom, that allow them go offroad?
suspension and gearing are the two primary considerations, IMO...ANY bike can go off-road...some just handle it better than others

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #10387
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,727
Cojones was a real answer.

Any bike can be ridden in any terrain, just look through the pictures on this site of Warren Weber and his crew riding hardtail Harleys in the woods and mountains circa 1940s - 1960s. Cojones, combined with a "run what ya brung" mindset:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29723

I linked a few pics below, too, because if you click that link you will read the thread for a few hours.

Granted, some bikes are better suited for off road applications than others, due to ground clearance, suspension, weight, tire type, wheel size, engine type (number of cylinders), available engine protection, etc.

But, having said that, it ultimately always comes down to cojones. A guy might buy a WR250 and never ride it off pavement, if he was afraid of taking it off road. A guy might buy a hardtail HD and ride it like a raped ape on single track if he didn't care. Neither bike being designed for the application it is used for, the rider being the deciding factor.

My personal boundaries should be simple. Pavement and gravel on the V-Strom. Gravel and light off road on the DR.

I was telling Vivid Dadas the other day that the problem with my personal mindset is that I do not know when to stop. For example, my boundaries on the V-Strom, as I said above, should be clearly set. But if I'm plonking down a gravel road and it turns into quad track, I'm goddamn sure gonna find out where that goes. So I will keep riding on a bike I don't necessarially feel comfortable with because my desire to explore outweighs my common sense. If that quad track turns to single track, well this is why I keep Parts Unlimited in business replacing my levers and other breakables.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #10388
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Next up...

I found it, but it's 3 hours from me. In order to motivate someone else to get it, I should lie and say I plan to get it at 9 AM tomorrow.

And thanks for the explanations on adventure bikes.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #10389
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
I found it,
I'm going to take a flyer and guess it's pretty close to Steubenville, a river, US 22 and SR 7.

Quote:
I was telling Vivid Dadas the other day that the problem with my personal mindset is that I do not know when to stop. For example, my boundaries on the V-Strom, as I said above, should be clearly set. But if I'm plonking down a gravel road and it turns into quad track, I'm goddamn sure gonna find out where that goes.
I knew I was in for some serious shit when the guy in the jacked up 4WD truck told us the road we were on, (Google Gettamy Road, Dunbar, PA,) was a dead end. Nevermind that Google Maps agrees and shows Gettamy Road/T724 as a dead end. It's possible to continue on south from Dunbar on Gettamy Rd, (T724,) and end up on the equally dead end Gettamy School Road (T726,) and come out on Old Braddock Road near Jumonville PA. I'm pretty sure we passed the old Gettamy School shown out in the woods on the Google map. At least we passed some crazy old stone building. I never thought we would get out without a tractor, then we finally saw a double wide and some kind of old Camaro graveyard.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #10390
wicked94s10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Can't believe no one went and got this, the weather was perfect over the weekend
wicked94s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #10391
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,636
I was out and about but didn't feel like riding to Stupidville.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #10392
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked94s10 View Post
Can't believe no one went and got this, the weather was perfect over the weekend
Three of us from NE Ohio were at Brush Creek on Saturday, but we ran out of time to go get it. Probably for the better since the tag would have come back to NE Ohio, and the complaining would start.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #10393
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
I'm saying it's already in NE Ohio. No chance I'll be up that way anytime before Saturday. Bryguy likes to ride to Steubenville so he can go over to Weirton and try to clog up his coronary arteries at Tudor's Biscuit World.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 AM   #10394
Bryguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
You meet the most interesting people over there!
This was the greeter.
He also liked to loiter around the parking lot and look into car windows and stare at people as they were driving away.
Attached Images

Bryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #10395
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,355
tag

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is online now   Reply With Quote