Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Garmin Nuvi 250W Mounted on V-Strom

After much debate, I decided to skip the refurb 2610 and went with a refurb 250W ($177 shipped) instead. I wanted a mapping unit that could do truck, bike, and foot so the lack of battery (and sheer size) of the 2610 took it out of consideration. I know the 2610 does routes and is waterproof. The Nuvi can't and is not.

For some crazy reason, the 250W is cheaper than the regular 200, even though it has a better mapset (full North America) and a much better screen.

I got the original idea for this mount from ib, who mounted his Zumo in a very similar way. (http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=109571797182). View his thread for more detail into the initial prep. This week RAM released a new cradle for the Nuvi's, so I bought the "Brake/Reservoir" mounting kit ( RAM-B-174-GA25U). It comes with everything you need, plus you get the "long" RAM arm rather than the short one that comes with the Zumo kit ib used. I have both arms, and like the long one much better (IMO) as it provides more installation/removal room, installation spots, and places the GPS closer to the rider.

First off, I prepped my windshield mount by clipping off the "waffling" with a set of 45 degree dikes. This took about 3 minutes. (Click photos for larger versions)

I clipped out the entire middle section of the mount to allow for the use of washers on the backside.

Then I bolted on the mount included in the kit using nylon lined stop nuts, and used 2 rubber washers to isolate the RAM mount from the widshield mount.

http://strom.selfip.net/Fotke/albums...O/IMG_5725.jpg is what it looks like afterwards (photo credit ib). This process took about 10 minutes, including a break for:

Now all that is left to do is attach the Nuvi RAM cradle and RAM arm from the kit and you end up with a setup that looks like this:

From the riders position:

From the side:

In use:

Zoomed:

I took it for a quick romp and noticed no vibration of the screen on paved roads.

Enjoy!
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,502
Nice work! I was usig my Nuvi before I got a Zumo, and it worked out well. The 250W is a bargain. I had the 2610, 2720, and 2820 and feel the 250W is a better in any number of ways.

Theft of GPS units is skyrocketing, so take it with you!

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I run a NUVI 760 on my RT mounted in a similar manner. The 760 has FM transmit so I can get the voice prompts through the radio on the RT. I find the Nuvi a much better proposition than the Zumo, screen size for price, Mapsource adaptive and so on.
Bails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,099
Nice work! I went with a zumo as I ride probably as often as not in rain and otherwise messy conditions but that is a nice instal.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Wild Will
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Nice work man!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:25 AM   #6
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails
I run a NUVI 760 on my RT mounted in a similar manner. The 760 has FM transmit so I can get the voice prompts through the radio on the RT. I find the Nuvi a much better proposition than the Zumo, screen size for price, Mapsource adaptive and so on.
I have a 760 as well and if it was waterproof or the controls operated more easily with a gloved hand, I would have used it in lieu of the Zumo. I don't find the Zumo's "gas gage" particularly helpful as the V-Strom has a gas gage, but for a bike without a gas gage it's very handy. The car mount that comes with the Zumo is pretty good. I believe the 760 can share routes from a memory card the way a Zumo can, but haven't tried it: it makes group rides a lot more interesting when you do this.

There's one annoyance with the 760 for bike use. If you've selected a route, it does not show your speed on the front screen. It does show it if no route has been selected, or if you touch the lower left hand corner to bring up the trip data. But given the optimistic speedometers on virtually all motorcycles, it's an annoyance.

They both share one shortcoming relative to the 2610: the front screen display cannot be customized to your needs. The Zumo and Nuvi both have the high-sensitivity receiver, recalculate faster, have higher resolution screens, an internal battery, and come pre-loaded with maps. But being able to change what was displayed on the front screen (for example, speed, heading, and elevation) was great. This information can still be accessed on the new models, but not continuously or in one place. Nontheless, if I had to choose a budget GPS, I'd pick the 250 or 250W as well in lieu of the 2610.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 03-16-2008 at 05:46 AM
Old 03-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Got an email so I'll post some random info:

1. There are two new models - 255 and 255W - due out any time that are worth looking into.
2. You can buy the 250W for less than $200 on eBAY, YMMV.
3. Not sure about the 250W but on the 360, 660 and 760, you cannot change the size of the text displayed on the map as a parameter, although you can change the level of detail.
4. Another feature that Nuvis have that's not on the 2610: GarminLock. This is a number code to prevent use of the device without keying in the 4 digit code first. It can be broken by brute force or a lucky guess - it's only four digits after all. But if you get ripped off, you at least have some satisfaction in knowing they can't use it.
5. The Nuvi 760 will optimize a route with multiple destinations. Most of the old StreetPilot 2xx0 series will do this as well, as do the Zumos. Most lower-cost Nuvis will not: you can only add 1 via point to the destination.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
Got an email so I'll post some random info:

1. There are two new models - 255 and 255W - due out any time that are worth looking into.
2. You can buy the 250W for less than $200 on eBAY, YMMV.
3. Not sure about the 250W but on the 360, 660 and 760, you cannot change the size of the text displayed on the map as a parameter, although you can change the level of detail.
4. Another feature that Nuvis have that's not on the 2610: GarminLock. This is a number code to prevent use of the device without keying in the 4 digit code first. It can be broken by brute force or a lucky guess - it's only four digits after all. But if you get ripped off, you at least have some satisfaction in knowing they can't use it.
5. The Nuvi 760 will optimize a route with multiple destinations. Most of the old StreetPilot 2xx0 series will do this as well, as do the Zumos. Most lower-cost Nuvis will not: you can only add 1 via point to the destination.
Here are the differences between the 250W and 255W:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....ompare=compare

I got my refurb 250W for $177 shipped free from Amazon (DigitechDeals).

Anyone buying one now may want to hold off registering it until the new City Nav becomes available. You SHOULD be eligible for a free map upgrade.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar
Here are the differences between the 250W and 255W:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....ompare=compare

I got my refurb 250W for $177 shipped free from Amazon (DigitechDeals).

Anyone buying one now may want to hold off registering it until the new City Nav becomes available. You SHOULD be eligible for a free map upgrade.
You've got to be careful with that. Better to go into the Specs section and look at the capabilities there (which has to be done one by one).

Old 03-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
You've got to be careful with that. Better to go into the Specs section and look at the capabilities there (which has to be done one by one).
The compare feature pulls directly from the "Specs" page.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #11
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar
The compare feature pulls directly from the "Specs" page.
But does not include all the information. For example, in the Compare function the Nuvi 500 and 550 show the only difference in "Preloaded Maps," as, "yes (48 states)" and "yes."

But when you go to "In the box," you learn that the 500:

Quote:
U.S. version includes preloaded U.S. topographic maps plus City Navigator® NT data for the lower 48 states, Hawaii and Puerto Rico (no Alaska or Canada detail); European versions include City Navigator NT data for one region or country (click versions tab to view all)
While the 550 does not have the topo map:

Quote:
Preloaded City Navigator® NT for North America or Europe (full coverage)

Old 08-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,879
Nice, I've been thinking about getting a RAM mount for my Nuvi 200, now I think I will.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #13
Fried Chicken
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Ram Waterproof Mounts

You may want to check out these handy little devices.

http://www.ram-mount.com/aqua_box_mo...wide_mount.htm

Supposed to keep your Nuvi dry and still allow you to mount it to your bike and use the touch screen.
Fried Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
Resq47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Nice setup, you just held off my refurb 2720 purchase. So many options, so little $$$...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #15
Prothos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I did not think the low level nuvi would do multiple way points and let you plan out routes. I bought the 200 for the wifes car and its just a point a to point b type of device.

Prothos screwed with this post 09-09-2008 at 07:16 AM
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote