Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #166
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
So when do we get to see one on a 610?

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #167
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
So when do we get to see one on a 610?
Probably a couple of weeks to see one as a pre production model on my 610, then it depends on how much modification is needed and the complexity of the mounting system. My guess is sometime in late May/early June for orders
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #168
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,954
I wonder if it might be possible to modify the existing unit to fit it to an XR?

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #169
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsman
I wonder if it might be possible to modify the existing unit to fit it to an XR?
We're working on a frame for the X Challenge and Husky 610 and although we haven't studied the XR, I suspect that these units will easily be addaptable. You should see these units around the end of May.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #170
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
Yikes !!

I remeasured the depth and thre's only 7.5" right across (not 10 ), but it's still enough for the radio as long as the wires don't poke out too far at the back. The GPS has to be as far down as shown in order to sink in 2", but it does mean you could surface mount your Digital speed/ODO etc above it.

The support bars do get in the way of the GPS, but if you're going to get one, we can make up an alternative arrangement to allow it to fit .

You'll still have room for some switches/clock etc (just !)
Perfect! Actually, that radio has a detachable waterproof face that can be remote mounted so depth isn't a problem

If anybody hasn't seen these radios, you really need to check them out. Built in intercom, AM/FM radio and Bluetooth wireless options all in a compact little package.
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #171
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
Dr650?

Quote:
We're working on a frame for the X Challenge and Husky 610 and although we haven't studied the XR, I suspect that these units will easily be addaptable. You should see these units around the end of May.
Hey Ian ...
Where is the DR650 on your schedule ?? Are you planning a version that will work with the existing light ??

Thanks - Larry
Old 04-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #172
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKW1
Perfect! Actually, that radio has a detachable waterproof face that can be remote mounted so depth isn't a problem

If anybody hasn't seen these radios, you really need to check them out. Built in intercom, AM/FM radio and Bluetooth wireless options all in a compact little package.
Where do you get them from ?
Old 04-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #173
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftee
Hey Ian ...
Where is the DR650 on your schedule ?? Are you planning a version that will work with the existing light ??

Thanks - Larry
Hmm. Good point. After seeing the startling difference that the Hella's have made to the KLR, my mind has drifted away a bit from trying to shroud the existing headlights, in favour of supplying different fitting kits on existing fairings. There will be a smaller unit produced for the TE610 and the X Challenge that might 'fit the bill' on the DR.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #174
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
It's extremely ugly but Canadaians buy weird things so who knows....if you plan to make any money on it you should think about an easy way to adapt for a selection of bikes.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #175
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
It's extremely ugly but Canadaians buy weird things so who knows....if you plan to make any money on it you should think about an easy way to adapt for a selection of bikes.
Strange that. They all seem to go to the states ! We are widening the range out to include the TE 610 and the X challenge, but we're only a small manufacturing company and I we couldn't keep up with the damand beyond that. Even on just KLR's we're having to find more space.

The demand for ugliness seems to be overwhelming.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #176
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
The demand for ugliness seems to be overwhelming.

There's a sig line for someone right there...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #177
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
....if you plan to make any money on it you should think about an easy way to adapt for a selection of bikes.
I concur.

I'd probably be willing to buy one on spec, and then figure how to get it mounted up on my bike (XR 650 L).

Understand that you're small, and demand can quickly get out of hand. The other side of that coin, of course, is that the more you make (and sell), the cheaper they become to produce.

I might be persuaded to ride over to BC, and you all could use my XR as a test platform......

Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #178
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
I concur.

I'd probably be willing to buy one on spec, and then figure how to get it mounted up on my bike (XR 650 L).

Understand that you're small, and demand can quickly get out of hand. The other side of that coin, of course, is that the more you make (and sell), the cheaper they become to produce.

I might be persuaded to ride over to BC, and you all could use my XR as a test platform......
I'm puting one on the dr650. I just bought a fairing stay from flea bay. I'll weld a mount on the head stock and then the fairing will mount up just like a klr. Cost me $25 then I bend up the mount and weld it up. Pretty simple really.

johnwesley screwed with this post 04-22-2008 at 01:52 PM
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #179
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
I concur.

John's suggestion about a KLR headlight frame is definately the quickest (and easiest) way to get going, particularly if you intend to use the full dash kit, as this also attaches to the headlight frame (not the fairing). Even the Relay/fuse panel attaches to the frame.

When it comes to other bikes, one of the key issues for us is how the subframe that we supply will be attached to the bike. The easiest route is to make up frames (Aluminum)that terminate with two bolts that attach to a small steel bracket that would be welded to the headstock. That way, the same frame could be fitted to just about any bike and the economies of scale become apparent (as you suggest). That's great if guy's are prepared to buy something where they then have to go and find a welder to attach the small bracket. I'm in two minds here, some guy's have suggested to me that they couldn't be 'bothered' with all that and think that it should be a 'bolt on' arrangement. Others think that getting a bracket welded on is no problem.

Feedback on this issue would be most welcome.

Anyway, Johns idea of getting a KLR headlight frame is certainly quickest and the Phoenix Twin (one without the beak) is available now (pesumably in white or Honda red) as soon as we receive the wiring looms (any day now, I hope !)
Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #180
boxorox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Ian, you should update your sig with a link to your web site http://www.britanniacomposites.com/ I had to scroll back like 4 pages to find it. Maybe a link to the thread as well to help get the word out!!
boxorox is offline   Reply With Quote