Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #181
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxorox
Ian, you should update your sig with a link to your web site http://www.britanniacomposites.com/ I had to scroll back like 4 pages to find it. Maybe a link to the thread as well to help get the word out!!
Good idea, Done!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #182
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
The easiest route is to make up frames (Aluminum)that terminate with two bolts that attach to a small steel bracket that would be welded to the headstock.
Feedback on this issue would be most welcome.
One thing I've found in my mad science experiment - everyone needs to consider the wiring harness routing with a frame mount. Here's my findings on the 610 but could apply to anyone:
With a bracket mounted to the front of the steering tube there's no room for the wiring at full steering lock. Here's my mock-up of a bolt-on bracket (note the hole offset to compensate for the difference in steeing angle). The circular cutout on the side is for the steering lock. A better way might be to use a heavier front channel with heavier side straps that reverse hooked in to the channel & could pivot slightly:

Having said that the wiring harness needs to be extended to run between the fairing mount tabs & still make it to the computer. On the 610 I think all wires are long enough except the computer harness. The triple clamp mounted Cycras are another issue:

I'm probably going to give this up & buy your fairing when you get one done for the 610 but it was a noble experiment anyway - I don't know that I'm ambitious enough to modify the KTM side panels or make some from scratch. Here's what the 950 fairing looks like on the 610 (along with the low fender experiment):

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #183
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
One thing I've found in my mad science experiment - everyone needs to consider the wiring harness routing with a frame mount. Here's my findings on the 610 but could apply to anyone:
With a bracket mounted to the front of the steering tube there's no room for the wiring at full steering lock. Here's my mock-up of a bolt-on bracket (note the hole offset to compensate for the difference in steeing angle). The circular cutout on the side is for the steering lock. A better way might be to use a heavier front channel with heavier side straps that reverse hooked in to the channel & could pivot slightly:

Having said that the wiring harness needs to be extended to run between the fairing mount tabs & still make it to the computer. On the 610 I think all wires are long enough except the computer harness. The triple clamp mounted Cycras are another issue:

I'm probably going to give this up & buy your fairing when you get one done for the 610 but it was a noble experiment anyway - I don't know that I'm ambitious enough to modify the KTM side panels or make some from scratch. Here's what the 950 fairing looks like on the 610 (along with the low fender experiment):

You've certainly put a lot of thought into this . Having owned a 950, I'm really surprised to see how big that fairing looks on the TE ! I wish I'd taken a pic of our new fairing on the TE when I was messing about with a white one I had here. If I've got a few minuites, I'll stick one on and take a pic, so you can see what it looks like. I'll also draw out what I have in mind for the mounting arrangement for you to look at and comment on.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #184
escuchamente
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 456
Question How's progress?

Just wondering how the progress is coming on the new XS type fairing (phoenix twin?). Namely, when do you think you will have it for sale/shipment.
Thanks,
E

escuchamente screwed with this post 05-01-2008 at 01:02 PM
escuchamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #185
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by escuchamente
Just wondering how the progress is coming on the new XS type fairing (phoenix twin?). Namely, when do you think you will have it for sale/shipment.
Thanks,
E
Both types are being produced now, but we are still waiting for the wiring harnesses to come through. I'm told we will get them on Tuesday. The website update is also taking a while, so at the moment, guy's are ordering via email from the site. In answer to your question, the first ones will go out on Wednesday.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #186
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
I don't remember if this was answered all ready, but..... On the dual headlights, is one high beam and one low beam?
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #187
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKW1
I don't remember if this was answered all ready, but..... On the dual headlights, is one high beam and one low beam?
Yes, and they come wired 'one on, the other off', so the power draw stays at 65watts. However, you can wire them so the low stays on all the time and the 'high' comes on in addition. This is AWESOME, but extended use of the high, could gradually pull the battery down. We are are including 'guidance' on this alternative wiring option in the instructions that come with the kit.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #188
CarbonCat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
Yes, and they come wired 'one on, the other off', so the power draw stays at 65watts. However, you can wire them so the low stays on all the time and the 'high' comes on in addition. This is AWESOME, but extended use of the high, could gradually pull the battery down. We are are including 'guidance' on this alternative wiring option in the instructions that come with the kit.
Ian,
thsnks for the great job you going.
I'm all waiting for X-challenge and try to fit it on my HP2.
I know that you guys are swampt with work, but is HP2 on your list. I think HP2 and X Challenge have same diameter in the front, so i think the unit can be interchangable between the two.

Thanks!

Motorcycles are not my lifestyle - they are my life!
CarbonCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #189
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCat
Ian,
thsnks for the great job you going.
I'm all waiting for X-challenge and try to fit it on my HP2.
I know that you guys are swampt with work, but is HP2 on your list. I think HP2 and X Challenge have same diameter in the front, so i think the unit can be interchangable between the two.

Thanks!
Thanks CC,

The thinking at the moment, is that we will start out with one of the Phoenix fairings (beakless one) and modify it (perhaps a bit smaller) to fit a Husky 610 (because we have one !). We then plan to try and make this fit on as many DS bikes as possible (including yours), by having different mounting kits available. The main issue for us, is that all this involves mainly metal work, in which we have little expertise. For us, designing and making the fairing is the easy bit !!, it's the 'other' bits that take the time.

Anyway, the KLR fairings start going out this week, so I hope we can start looking into this fairly soon.

Keep in touch.

Ian
Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #190
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

I grabbed a couple of photo's of an XS twin being test fitted yesterday. This is one of 11 that are waiting for the wiring harnesses ( which are confirmed as 'shipped' now !) Looks better for 'real', because I'm so crap at taking photo's !

Ian B screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 04:54 PM
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #191
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

And another

Ian B screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 04:54 PM
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #192
Scoddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Awwwwww, mannnn look at that! My color too! Yer killin me with these things
Looks great, Ian. If I ever have the disposable income I'd love for my bike to sport your work. Hope they sell well for you.

-Scott-
Scoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:31 AM   #193
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoddy
Awwwwww, mannnn look at that! My color too! Yer killin me with these things
Looks great, Ian. If I ever have the disposable income I'd love for my bike to sport your work. Hope they sell well for you.

-Scott-
Thanks Scott,

Well it's been the best part of three months to get to this stage, but I'm happy to say that the first 11 go out tomorrow, two of which are going to be evaluated by Hondo ( KLRworld.com ), so keep your eyes open for his review.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:33 AM   #194
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
let me finish paying for my AR15 and I'll be ordering one as well ;)
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #195
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
payment sent. can't wait :)
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote