User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #16
KLR650Canuk
Rasshøl

Oddometer: 382
Twin Headlight KLR

I like the idea of the twin headlights for the KLR!! I am already planning next winters farkeling, and this would be on my list!

"Winning a fight on a web forum is like winning a medal in the special olympics you may have won but your still a retard " - AllEuro

Iron butt to Alaska 2007
Inuvik 2008
Canol Attempt #1 2009
KLR650Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #17
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,403
Painted ??

Fitting the stock headlight does keep the price down ...

Let's see one painted .... I think the reactions would be more positive.

Any plans for the DR650 ??

Larry
Old 03-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #18
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftee
Fitting the stock headlight does keep the price down ...

Let's see one painted .... I think the reactions would be more positive.

Any plans for the DR650 ??

Larry
There is no problem producing both options. We'll work on them both this week.

There are plans for the DR 650, TE 610, XR650L and 620/640 KTM's. All of these will have the same twin headlight setup including an HID option. The 'work' is in the mounting frames, not the fairing bit.

We are negotiating wholesale purchases of the lighting system and to gain economy of scale, we'll try to use the same lights across the range. It'll keep the costs down.

Thanks everybody for you're inputs.
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #19
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer
didn't think it was possible to add that much ugly to a KLR... but i was wrong.
+1... Just in case you're doing serious marketing research - I thought I'd be honest.

I mean, the KLR is not a pretty bike, no one's laying on the chrome and entering them into beauty contests. But, okay, if you throw some mud on them, they kind of have a utilitarian, oh, I don't know, not Rambo tough...more like a coal-miner tough look. But, you know, in my opinion, there's no amount of mud that's going to redeem a bike with that faring.

Just so you get me into the right demographic category, I should say that I don't particularly like your beak fairing either (okay, to be honest, I think it's ugly too), and I think dual odd-sized headlight systems are ugly, and I think super-motards are just silly-looking, and, for that matter, the '08 KLRs look dumb too. Sigh, I guess I'm getting old.

It's a good thing KLRs last so long, it's going to be years and years before bike fashion comes back around to something I'd spend money on.

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:59 AM   #20
biggyfries
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Well sir, IMO its kinda odd looking, but my hat's off to you for fabricating your stuff--I admire that effort! Keep at it and you'll eventually strike gold.
biggyfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:20 AM   #21
Bad Company
Don't call me Shirley

Oddometer: 1,285
+1 for the twin headlights. Headlights something like the africa twin but keep the KTM looking upper portion of the faring.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #22
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

I think it's easy to stray away from the original objectives here. The XS was produced to improve several issues that have been regarded by many as important to the way they wish to use their KLR.

Firstly, many seem to add a large screen to make highway travel more comfortable. This rarely works, instead it increases the buffeting, gets in the way off road, increases instability and I'm sure no one added it for looks!!
From the reports back from the 60+ KLR owners that have one, the XS solves all of this and more.
Secondly, many seem to like to add numerous gadgets (in particular GPS's) to their bikes and find themselves stuck with strapping things on the handlebars etc. The XS solves all of this with a proper dash enabling all instruments to be where they should be - up in front of you.

Lastly, many find the instability issues uncomfortable (the famous fender waggle). The XS tracks like an arrow at whatever speed the engine will take you to.

The last issue was lighting and here the XS offers nothing, which will soon be addressed.

The looks really never entered into it particularly, although many emails to us asked for one that retained all of the benefits of the XS, but had the conventional fender and better lighting. The model shown here (and remember it's just a mock up made of molding filler) is just one take at solving those remaining requests at a more affordable price. Feedback from here unanimously suggests new lights and I agree but, even with wholesale purchase pricing, it's difficult to see how decent lights are going to come in any less than $140 fitted, but we'll have to see.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #23
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Looks way better than the first one, I would like to see a pict of the instrument cluster is possible.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:27 AM   #24
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerDave
If you throw some mud on them, they kind of have a... not Rambo tough...more like a coal-miner tough look.

That's awesome. Sig line material!

I too prefer the XS (wish I could part with the $$), and would be anxious to see the dual headlight version.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #25
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
I think it's easy to stray away from the original objectives here. The XS was produced to improve several issues that have been regarded by many as important to the way they wish to use their KLR.

Firstly, many seem to add a large screen to make highway travel more comfortable. This rarely works, instead it increases the buffeting, gets in the way off road, increases instability and I'm sure no one added it for looks!!
From the reports back from the 60+ KLR owners that have one, the XS solves all of this and more.
Secondly, many seem to like to add numerous gadgets (in particular GPS's) to their bikes and find themselves stuck with strapping things on the handlebars etc. The XS solves all of this with a proper dash enabling all instruments to be where they should be - up in front of you.

Lastly, many find the instability issues uncomfortable (the famous fender waggle). The XS tracks like an arrow at whatever speed the engine will take you to.
+1 I love mine

Here is what my dash use to look like

This has been a awesome improvement to my klr. If you rarely do over 65 or pass semis or drive in unstable air. Then you may not see the big benefits of it. I will put on 15-20 thousand miles a year on mine and ride interstate, trails and everything in between. This has been a great mod for me. With the stock fairing I lived with the front end woble at speed not that big of a deal, until passing a semi on the interstate the dirty air threw the bike into a tank slapper. That wasn't any fun and bothered me enough that I was cautious when passing large Trucks that move a lot of air. With this fairing that isn't a problem.
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #26
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomN
Looks way better than the first one, I would like to see a pict of the instrument cluster is possible.
See www.britanniacomposites.com
Old 03-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #27
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,727
XLR pilot, watching.

Horsefly-bird whisperer
Schreckendgust Field, Montana

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #28
BikerDave
Greybeard Rider

Oddometer: 335
I personally love the looks of the XS fairing, I may have to hold off a little while and check out the twin headlight version!!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #29
dlab07
n00b

Oddometer: 8
+1 for the stock headlight

I don't care too much about how the KLR looks, but I need more room behind the windscreen. I'll buy one to fit the stock headlight.
dlab07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #30
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,514
Without trying to be offensive - BOTH of them are F-U-G-L-Y.

The XS fairing makes the bike look like a KLR-Helix. I am not sure what you were after with the second one. Maybe you should look at some of the old Windjammer designs. If this is a for-profit venture, I am afraid you aren't going to sell a lot of them. Maybe if Klingons start buying KLRs...

Also - don't forget you are trying to appeal to KLR riders. A real tight-assed bunch who would rather buy parts at Home Depot. $355 isn't going to attract a lot of guys who would just as soon fashion a fender out of rain-gutter.