Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #376
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
There will be something in the fall, but not before I'm afraid. It's a real 'start again' job because nothing is the same as 'the old one'. There are greater challenges because of the need to design something that replaces the OEM side shrouds. We've tried to work something around the OEM lights, which would keep the cost down, but it just seems to make the bike look like a street bike !! We will persevere !

Ian
good to know as I now have an 08' model, I also like the idea of the tall windshield with a flip. I really enjoy doing business with you and would like to keep in all factory.

johnwesley screwed with this post 03-27-2009 at 06:14 AM
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #377
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Some install updates

I've had the (mis?)fortune of doing some finer tuning on the XS and have a couple of extra install tips:

- keep the big rubber grommets from the fairing arms and use one for the lower middle hole to minimize vibes and help raise the nose a bit if necessary; it helped to make a nice, even pressure and the dash, windshield and fairing
- use some thin self-adhesive weather stripping (the stuff I found is about 1-2cm wide) and put it on the backside of the dash- it really helped to cut down on what little vibes and rattling came up through the dash and fairing and it's completely silent!
- keep some double-sided tape on hand to clean up any extras that might rattle or even worse, get caught up in the ballasts (I learned the hard way!)
- take your time and carefully mount your aftermarket signals before you start mucking around with the fairing- do your bullet connectors, etc, while the fairing is off
- keep some extra wire or string handy to tie off the fairing while making adjustments
- if you need to adjust the headlights, do so in SMALL increments (say max five turns at a time) and turn the two screws at the top (right for down and left for up)

That's all for now. Still LOVING my "new" KLR!
Propfrwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:00 AM   #378
Kev_England
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
We are going to get taller screens made and add a 'flip' at the top, but it will be a month before they are done. Seems like most guys want that, both on the KLR models and the Lynx. I guess that's what happens when your chief tester ( me) is only 5'8" !!!
Ian - does this mean youll have a taller Lynx model for the BMW X Challenge? Just asking since Im 6' even and the extra inches probably would work well for me.
Cheers!
Kev_England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:03 AM   #379
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_England
Ian - does this mean youll have a taller Lynx model for the BMW X Challenge? Just asking since Im 6' even and the extra inches probably would work well for me.
Cheers!
Yes, we'll probably increase it on all models to accomodate taller guys. but I should stress that whilst it would help a little, it won't turn into a Goldwing on the Highway ! Some guys don't even bother to slide the screen right up, because they prefer more air. The Fairing itself takes the weight off your arms, the screen is more for the Helmet.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #380
rallyhound
Macho stud guy

Oddometer: 867
Just got some miles on my dr650 lynx.

A couple small tips for Ian.

The shield works well but for cold weather another 2 inches in height would be perfect for us 6 footers.

Maybe make the wires from the relays to the bulbs 3 inches longer to make relay mounting more flexible.

otherwise perfect.

You dont have to wish me luck for me to know that I need it.
rallyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:18 PM   #381
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,402
Thumb DR650 Lynx

Hey rallyhound .....
Post a bunch of pictures of your DR650 Lynx ...

Thanks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyhound

The shield works well but for cold weather another 2 inches in height would be perfect for us 6 footers.

Maybe make the wires from the relays to the bulbs 3 inches longer to make relay mounting more flexible.

otherwise perfect.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #382
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyhound

otherwise perfect.
Thanks for the feedback. I think we will increase the height of the shield (as I mentioned above) and I'm pleased to report that the new batch of harnesses do have longer wires.

Glad you like it !

Cheers Ian

PS Pics would be great !
Old 04-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #383
rallyhound
Macho stud guy

Oddometer: 867

You dont have to wish me luck for me to know that I need it.
rallyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:28 AM   #384
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Nice work on the dash.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #385
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,575
Does anyone else have an issue with the windscreen moving up (if down) or down (if up) during extreme offroad?

I'm thinking about maybe making some rubber friction strips or something. I have put o-rings under the heads of the finger tension screws and they are staying tight better... but even with them full snug the screen will move up or down in the rough stuff.

Suggestions?

I finally got my thermo/clock/voltmeter installed.
This weekend I'll be installing yellow LED's in the top corners to indicate when my turn signals are on

I've been doing a lot of night riding recently and I'm really enjoying the light setup

Geek screwed with this post 04-17-2009 at 05:06 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #386
Propfrwrd
Studly Adventurer

Tried my first bush ride last weekend, and yeah the screen slid down. Don't really care so far, as I probably would have put it down anyway.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #387
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
Does anyone else have an issue with the windscreen moving up (if down) or down (if up) during extreme offroad?

I'm thinking about maybe making some rubber friction strips or something. I have put o-rings under the heads of the finger tension screws and they are staying tight better... but even with them full snug the screen will move up or down in the rough stuff.

Suggestions?

This weekend I'll be installing yellow LED's in the top corners to indicate when my turn signals are on

I've been doing a lot of night riding recently and I'm really enjoying the light setup

Rubber washers placed underneath the sliders that you can get from your local plumbing department will solve the problem. I'm now fitting these as standard.

Cheers Ian

PS Love the night time pics Geek
Old 04-19-2009, 05:52 AM   #388
mesaliving
Making it happen

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek

Suggestions?

AWESOME pics GEEK - I'm sold -
Old 04-20-2009, 01:11 AM   #389
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,413
I read in this thread somewhere that someone used O Rings on each side of the windshield to keep it from slipping. Sounds like it ought to work...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #390
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman
I read in this thread somewhere that someone used O Rings on each side of the windshield to keep it from slipping. Sounds like it ought to work...
Yes, that works but they don't last as long as a rubber washer.

Ian