User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #31
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,014
Laugh

That's f***kin' hilarious advtek, & true.

I've put a lot of expensive farkles on my KLR, still enjoy inventing new pieces from the hardware though.

I'll stick with the original, good effort Ian.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #32
intheways
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Hey Ian,

Have you thought of trying to something a bit like the new Tenere. Personally, I really like that design. I realize that trying to design and produce a good-looking, functional fairing that cheap KLRistas will fork over some cash for is a difficult venture.

I appreciate your efforts.

Thanks
intheways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #33
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetour
Hey Ian,

Have you thought of trying to something a bit like the new Tenere. Personally, I really like that design. I realize that trying to design and produce a good-looking, functional fairing that cheap KLRistas will fork over some cash for is a difficult venture.

I appreciate your efforts.

Thanks
If you talking about the new 660 Tenere - I think thats awesome. Much too good for us over here though ! I mean, where would we ride such a bike ? Much more useful in all those 'wide open spaces' in the UK !!
No wonder companies like KTM and BMW are stomping all over Yamaha in sales in this sector !!

The problem with that one is where could you get a headlight like that ? Thats the problem.

If your talking about the original Super Tenere, then the twin light version we're working on now is quite similar. If fact it's coming along pretty well and we should have the basic mock up done by the end of the week. Biggest issue at the moment is the length of the lights. These modern projector lights are nearly six inches long and trying to thread them through the KLR headlight frame pipework is a bit challenging !!
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #34
dlab07
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Form vs function

I think what it comes down to for most KLR riders is a question of form vs function. The KLR is clearly not a good looking bike, so why worry about what the XS fairing looks like as long as it gives you more room for instruments and reduces wind buffeting? And how much time do you really spend riding at night? I'm in for one with the stock headlight. JUst put a brighter bulb in and you'll be fine.
dlab07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #35
intheways
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
If you talking about the new 660 Tenere - I think thats awesome. Much too good for us over here though ! I mean, where would we ride such a bike ? Much more useful in all those 'wide open spaces' in the UK !!
No wonder companies like KTM and BMW are stomping all over Yamaha in sales in this sector !!
I agree. The expanses in th US can't quite compare to those in Europe. No offense to anyone in Europe, just Yamaha marketing. I guess we're just stuck with DRs and KLRs.
intheways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #36
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlab07
...The KLR is clearly not a good looking bike...
I beg to differ - the KLR is a beauty. It's look says: "take me out and ride me wherever you want and I won't complain. Drop me on the ground and I will forgive you by not falling apart. Strap a cooler on me and call it a topbox and I won't argue. Forget to wash me and I will still look handsome."

How much more beautiful can you get?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #37
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
When ya coming out with the Tengai plastics?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #38
wayne00001
Got Dirt?

Oddometer: 22
I like

I like what I see. Would the small dash fit the new fairing to allow keeping the stock gauges? Want to see one painted to get a better idea of true looks.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #39
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne00001
I like what I see. Would the small dash fit the new fairing to allow keeping the stock gauges? Want to see one painted to get a better idea of true looks.
Yep, both dashes will fit with each of the fairings. Here's the small one to fit with the stock clocks.

Ian B screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 04:54 PM
Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #40
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

And here's the full size one that replaces the clocks.

Ian B screwed with this post 12-20-2010 at 04:54 PM
Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #41
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,364

Waiting for updated images of the new fairing...
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #42
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog

Waiting for updated images of the new fairing...
Well, this is the plan. Whilst it makes for a 'spirited' debate, clearly showing pre production models tends to bring more ridicule than anything and the point of the functional aspects of these efforts gets lost.

So, we've decided to wait until all three of the new variants are finished and tested before showing 'em off.

There will be four versions available.

1) Will provide wind protection via the sliding screen feature and accomodate both dash options. Your OEM fender (or aftermarket) is retained and there is no additional lighting. This will be the cheapest, hopefully around $200.

2) The existing XS, which has all the benefits of the above, but is much more stable at highway speeds, but with no provison for lighting, you're still straining your eyes to look for bambi !! This has been more expensive to produce, but we are hoping that economy of scale brought about by the whole range, will enable a decrease in the current price.

3) The twin projector headlight version of the first one, which will probably add between $ 100 -130, depending on what wholesale deal we can get on the lights.

4) The XS with twin headlights. Again, adding about the same for the lights to whatever the XS price comes to.

All share the same sliding screens, dash options and will come in the OEM colour choices + white. All fit straight on to the existing mounting points and we're hoping that the twin headlight versions will not require any modification to the headlight frame to fit.

We are trying to get all three of the new ones ready for production within the next 3 weeks, depending how the testing goes.

We're pretty excited about it and when we've done these, we're moving on to other makes that could do with 'the treatment'.

Cheers Ian
Old 03-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #43
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Ian - thanks for the great work. I think they're all an improvement in both form and function over the goony stocker. Makes me wanna keep the old girl instead of trading her off. I'll wait long enough to see the whole lineup before deciding.

Thanks again
Dean
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #44
gregg
gregg

Oddometer: 177
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
I think it's easy to stray away from the original objectives here. The XS was produced to improve several issues that have been regarded by many as important to the way they wish to use their KLR.

Firstly, many seem to add a large screen to make highway travel more comfortable. This rarely works, instead it increases the buffeting, gets in the way off road, increases instability and I'm sure no one added it for looks!!
From the reports back from the 60+ KLR owners that have one, the XS solves all of this and more.
Secondly, many seem to like to add numerous gadgets (in particular GPS's) to their bikes and find themselves stuck with strapping things on the handlebars etc. The XS solves all of this with a proper dash enabling all instruments to be where they should be - up in front of you.

Lastly, many find the instability issues uncomfortable (the famous fender waggle). The XS tracks like an arrow at whatever speed the engine will take you to.

The last issue was lighting and here the XS offers nothing, which will soon be addressed.

The looks really never entered into it particularly, although many emails to us asked for one that retained all of the benefits of the XS, but had the conventional fender and better lighting. The model shown here (and remember it's just a mock up made of molding filler) is just one take at solving those remaining requests at a more affordable price. Feedback from here unanimously suggests new lights and I agree but, even with wholesale purchase pricing, it's difficult to see how decent lights are going to come in any less than $140 fitted, but we'll have to see.
Ian
I like the track you are on and what you are tying to do. I think the nonpainted mock up is where your flack is coming from. Painted to match the bike could I feel open a whole didferent view from the gang here. I like the idea just hard for me to see the big picture with the frog green and blue.
Like I said I'm likeing the idea
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #45
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchan
Ian - thanks for the great work. I think they're all an improvement in both form and function over the goony stocker. Makes me wanna keep the old girl instead of trading her off. I'll wait long enough to see the whole lineup before deciding.

Thanks again
Dean
Thats a good point. Whilst we are already manufacturers of composit parts, when we first created the XS last year, after the first ride with it on the highway, I sold my 1150 GS, because it no longer had a function for me.

It just edged the KLR nearer to the 'one bike solution' for me.