Old 03-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #46
gregg
gregg

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley
+1 I love mine

Here is what my dash use to look like

This has been a awesome improvement to my klr. If you rarely do over 65 or pass semis or drive in unstable air. Then you may not see the big benefits of it. I will put on 15-20 thousand miles a year on mine and ride interstate, trails and everything in between. This has been a great mod for me. With the stock fairing I lived with the front end woble at speed not that big of a deal, until passing a semi on the interstate the dirty air threw the bike into a tank slapper. That wasn't any fun and bothered me enough that I was cautious when passing large Trucks that move a lot of air. With this fairing that isn't a problem.
Looks like your useing a double windshield here?
I like it . looks like you could confinger it to fit the need.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #47
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,554
You can remove the second windshield, it's mounted with dual lock tabs. The shield is a left over laminar lip from the stock fairing. It fits great
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #48
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
Do you think 610 guy's would pefer a small, steering based unit, or a frame mounted version like the KLR ?
I can only speak for myself but I'd prefer an easily removable frame mounted version. I'm in the process of putting a frame mounted KTM 950 fairing on my 610 as we speak. I think if someone wants to add the weight of a roadbook, etc. it's better to stick it to the frame than wear on the arms. What are you thinking for an attachment to the steering tube? I've got a prototype mounting bracket out for quote but the prices are making me think cheap steel weld-on vs expensive machined aluminum.
Jeez, if I'd have seen this thread earlier maybe I wouldn't have spent all that dough

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:16 PM   #49
johnwesley
wanta be

The one I have is easy to remove. Three screws and the fairing is off. It leaves the dash mounted so you can get to the wiring behind the dash. It is obvious that there has been alot of testing and refining that has gone into the kit for the klr. Things like how the front fender is just deep enough for a fender bag with 2 tubes. How the underfender keeps all of the rain from spraying you and the way the air flows around the rider. I know that this fairing has done what the after market shields could not, and that is take the wind pressure off and reduce buffeting at the same time. With the added benifit of more stability at speed, something the KLR need.

I like the idea of the dual head lights and look forwad to seeing what he comes up with. It would be nice to have better headlights
Old 03-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #50
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
I can only speak for myself but I'd prefer an easily removable frame mounted version. I'm in the process of putting a frame mounted KTM 950 fairing on my 610 as we speak. I think if someone wants to add the weight of a roadbook, etc. it's better to stick it to the frame than wear on the arms. What are you thinking for an attachment to the steering tube? I've got a prototype mounting bracket out for quote but the prices are making me think cheap steel weld-on vs expensive machined aluminum.
Jeez, if I'd have seen this thread earlier maybe I wouldn't have spent all that dough
Yeah, there's more to doing all this than appears at first. Coincidently, I had a 950 and thought about trying the fairing on my 610 (before starting the KLR project last year), and came up against the frame attachment issue. From a manufacturing point, it's key to try and identify what sort of riding the fairing is for, so that the right functional features can be built in.

I agree, if you need the full compliment of Rally instrumentation and the use is going to be hard, then you've got to go frame mounted, in which case the fairing becomes frame mounted as well.

Our experimentation on my 610 will start with 'how far can we go' with a steering mounted unit that provides lights, some highway wind protection and at least enough instrument room for the GPS up front. We will be aiming at the Dual sport/ recreational use, not hardcore racing - leave that to others. If we can't achieve that on the steering without it being cumbersome, we'll concentrate on frame mounting a smaller unit than the KLR.

We decided that to create a 'brand', all of our units will incorporate 'real' improvements in the 3 key areas of variable (or removable) wind protection, GPS accomodation on the instrument panel and good lighting aimed purely at recreational dualsporting. It took months of testing to 'get it right' with the XS (it's a tough job, but someones got to do it etc............!) and we're anticipating many 'challenges' on the Husky,KTM conversions as well.

I think your idea of the 950 fairing on the TE is great and if you're doing it just for yourself, I would use whatever metal mounting medium that you find easiest to work with and go from there.

Cheers Ian
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #51
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
If that was a quick easy detach peice I would buy one. I ride my KLR to nasty Single-track and do really tough trails. I don't like any screen for that. I modified my stock fairing so I could easily take it off if necessary, and put wingnuts on the stock windscreen bolts so I could easily remove it in about 1 minute. I hide the screen in the woods while I ride the S-T. If I could get that whole fairing off in a few minutes, that would be perfect.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #52
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas
If that was a quick easy detach peice I would buy one. I ride my KLR to nasty Single-track and do really tough trails. I don't like any screen for that. I modified my stock fairing so I could easily take it off if necessary, and put wingnuts on the stock windscreen bolts so I could easily remove it in about 1 minute. I hide the screen in the woods while I ride the S-T. If I could get that whole fairing off in a few minutes, that would be perfect.
The screen you see here slides down in front of the fairing for off road use(so you don't see it when your in the riding position).

Saves losing it in the woods !
Old 03-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #53
johnwesley
wanta be

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas
Feel free to come down and see my xs fairing. I'll show you how easy it is to take off. 3 bolts and disconect the signal wires, your done; it's off in just about 2 min. Matter of fact come take it for a ride and see how you like it.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:56 AM   #54
GPSchaser
GPSchaser

Oddometer: 172
I tried hard to make my KLR look better too. I found it very fun to do. Love your work Ian.

GPSchaser screwed with this post 01-04-2009 at 11:20 AM
GPSchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #55
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

Just to add my 2 cents to the equation...I'm all about either a single round headlight or a dual round headlight option for the KLR. I've been trying to come up with my own, but don't have the resources at my disposal...

Lookin' good!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #56
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
Just to add my 2 cents to the equation...I'm all about either a single round headlight or a dual round headlight option for the KLR. I've been trying to come up with my own, but don't have the resources at my disposal...

Lookin' good!!!
I don't think you will be disappointed with whats coming out of the shop as the new twin headlight version. We're testing it with the new lights this week.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #57
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSchaser
I tried hard to make my KLR look better too. I found it very fun to do. Love your work Ian.
That looks like a really good job and you're right, we wouldn't have attemted it if we didn't already have a full composite facility here anyway. Well done Do we get any more pics ?

Cheeers Ian
Old 03-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #58
GPSchaser
GPSchaser

Here is another pic.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #59
GPSchaser
GPSchaser

And another.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #60
GPSchaser
GPSchaser

I made the fairing out of aluminum, the windshield is from an unknown bike with a round headlight hole, I used the turn signal housing for some off road lights, and pieced the low fender together from 3 fenders and attached it to the fork brace. it just seems to fallow the lines of the bike better. I've been asked what kind of bike it is by guys riding the same bike.