Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 05:33 AM   #1
Tim450 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
WR450 oil cooling and other things...

Hi All,
First post and just joined after reading some inspiring posts full of useful info posted by well informed people. A rare find on the internet these days!
I have looked into an oil cooler for my new bike but not much info around.
I like the jagg oil coolers and have been in touch with Marv in the US who supplies them. He doesn't have one for my model but said I may be able to get an older model one to work. Has anyone put a jagg on a 12, 13 or 14 model?
Reason being is I'm doing the great ocean road from Adelaide to Melbourne then back through the Grampians and believe an oil cooler will help keep the oil in good nic. I know people will say it's not a good bike to do it on but I am and would appreciate any info to make it more enjoyable. It will be my longest trip on the new bike yet and by reading some posts here it sounds more like a trip round the block! I'm just trying to cover any issues that may arise that I've overlooked or aren't aware of.
The main changes to date are sprockets, Dunlop dual sports, tail rack and pack, tank pack, led lighting and I'll be lambs wooling the seat quite thick.
I am interested to hear if anyone has tried the Boyesen water pumps and found them to work as they claim. I've heard anywhere from 10 - 30 degree improvement in water temp.
Any tips or info especially on the oil cooler (if even necessary) would be very appreciated. I've accepted I will be doing at least 1 oil change on the way. Cheers.
Tim450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,080
How far of a ride and how challenging is the road? Paved?
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,823
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Tim450 OP
n00b

It will be around 1200km each way depending on how many times we get side tracked. There are some forest areas along the way I wouldn't mind getting into but nearly all will be hwy. All up no more than 3000 Km's. Definitely not a balls out off road adventure but that may be on the cards for a trip north next year.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

1800 easy street miles? If you are really worried change the oil at the turn around point, gear it for your cruise speed and don't beat on it.

I'd not worry about a cooler or a water pump mod. These miles should be far easier than what it is designed to do, i.e. Erzberg style stuff.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
Tim450 OP
n00b

Cheers for the reassurance Navin. I would expect it not to be too hard on the bike but I've also read so many reasons why not to do hwy miles on a WR. I'm going for a 42 sprocket on the rear which should keep the revs down. Change of oil and she'll be right!
Still like the oil cooler idea but didn't want to mess around with it in case someone has already done it and has any pointers.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,440
the problem isn't where to physically put those oil coolers, but where to plumb them in so that you don't starve the engine on start-up....

i don't know that motor, so you have to find that out....

once the motor is turned off, and the cooler is above the pump, it drains back into the motor, oil pumps....anywhere behind the cooler is gonna get starved of oil til' the cooler fills up when you start up, which could be really bad.....

this is the voodoo of oil coolers....

the engineers that designed those motors designed a pressurized oil path.... you gotta understand what this is before you put in the cooler, cause' you're modifying this oil path....

dig?.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

I agree with Navin 100%. Easy peasy with the right gearing. Do change the oil for the return trip. These engines only hold about a liter and are designed to be changed often after being ridden at race pace. One thing not mentioned and highly recommended for your comfort at least, is to balance your tires. While usually not necessary on dirt bikes, you will find yourself droning along at 100km/hr and this is where unbalanced tires start to show up in the form of excess vibration. We'll need a full ride report with pics, or it didn't happen.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
YamaLink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Buddy rode a 2012 WR450F from Alaska to Idaho. No oil cooler. Proper gearing and changed oil at overnight stays. Then the sick bastard rode back after just 36 hours rest in town.

And as stated, the wheels were balanced.
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Streety tires too if you can. Even super cheapo Kendas. Lose the rim locks. Should be a breeze.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
motohed73
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
wr450f jagg oil cooler

I have installed the oil cooler on my 2004 wr. The install was a bit complicated, and the instructions were vague. The bracket for the cooler ended up not working with the stock tank due to clearance issues. Since I have aftermarket oversize superradiators and devol radiator guards I just flipped the cooler around 180 degrees, chopped up the jagg mount into a flat piece instead of the L-bracket, and bolted it to the guard. (Pics when I figure out how to post them). Since then the bike runs around 170 deg running engine ice, and in the most technical of slow hill climbs while feathering the clutch has gone up to 236 deg f without boiling over. (Running a rekluse clutch, too). I think the jagg cooler adds up to 0.5 oil between the cooler and the lines, though I have had some issues with not all of the oil draining with a lukewarm motor during oil changes. I do like the extra insurance of more oil circulating throughout the motor, and I plan on changing the oil every 15 hours or so with full synthetic.
motohed73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
Tim450 OP
n00b

All good advice. Thanks.
I'm not going for the oil cooler option. Looks like casual riding and an oil change is the best option. Definitely getting the wheels balanced and a set of Dunlop trail max 604's this week.
Does anyone have a preferred rear sprocket size on the WR for long distance? Would a 42 tooth be too small?
Old 09-08-2014, 04:38 AM   #13
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim450 View Post
All good advice. Thanks.
I'm not going for the oil cooler option. Looks like casual riding and an oil change is the best option. Definitely getting the wheels balanced and a set of Dunlop trail max 604's this week.
Does anyone have a preferred rear sprocket size on the WR for long distance? Would a 42 tooth be too small?
While I have no experience with the WR, I have plated 3 other off road bikes. An RM, KDX and currently riding a CRF. I would suggest to get the smallest rear sprocket available and go up a tooth or two on the front. This may require cutting your current chain or just buy a new chain to fit the new sprocket combo and keep your off road chain and sprocket set for proper off road use.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:29 AM   #14
Tim450 OP
n00b

I was wondering if the chain will need a link or two knocked out. I'll be fitting the rear sprocket next week but hadn't thought of doing the front. Is it possible to gear a bike too much and lose power or not really?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #15
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim450 View Post
I was wondering if the chain will need a link or two knocked out. I'll be fitting the rear sprocket next week but hadn't thought of doing the front. Is it possible to gear a bike too much and lose power or not really?
This is a loaded question. In the big picture...yes. But, we're talking WR-f here. So I really doubt it. Put the small rear on and take it out and run it and see how it feels. If you think you want higher spread, then go up on the front.