Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #3646
aronhk_md
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I'm thinking you might be right Olas. Perhaps they came loose from the factory for break in and then the idea is to have them set to spec at 600mi? But as with the case often times with low mileage older bikes they never got brought in for a first service. Wonder about mine. The previous owner bought it in New Jersey from the original owner, and only 1900 miles. I got it last month with 2300.

Otherwise why service at 600? There isnt going to be that much wear on anything at that point even if you account for break in on surfaces.

http://www.americantorque.com/page/1/62/
aronhk_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:51 AM   #3647
racingwoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
New price $200 + shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingwoody
Hey guys, I haven't been on here since I sold my NX and I am just now getting around to cleaning out all the spares. I would like to get rid of all this in one simple sale.

1 Front rim w/Dunlop Sport D739 70/100 19 (needs rim lock installed)
1 Rear rim w/Dunlop Sport D739 90/100 16 (needs rim lock installed)
- Tires where used on one weekend trip.
1 19" rim lock NIB
1 16" rim lock NIB

Bikemaster tubes NIB
1 2.75/3.00 - 19
1 3.25/3.50 - 16
1 425/450/460 - 16

1 used 4.oo/4.60 16 Cheng shin

1 rear hub with new bearing
2 sets of rubber drive bushings
2 front brake rotors (don't now wear measurement)
1 used front sprocket 12t
1 used rear sprocket 41?t

1 exhaust pipe little rusty and may have had a mouse living inside for a winter?

1 factory used rear shock

1 white plastic side piece

1 blue right knee cowling piece, has all tabs.

1 broken NX650 front windshield cowling

Pics here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1556

$300/obo plus shipping

Columbus, Ohio

Kevin

CHEERS!
racingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:49 AM   #3648
Sambucas
travelin.tk

Oddometer: 58
Strange engine sound

Short introduction:
Me and my girl will be traveling through Africa on 2 Honda NX 250 motorcycles (Amsterdam - Cape Town, east shore). We plan to leave in the next 2 weeks.

We have a website, but it's in Dutch (although it has an English translation by Google): www.travelin.tk. We bought 3 NX 250 bikes: 1 "good" one (well maintained, ready to go), 1 "ugly" one, that is not so well maintained (cheaper and to get some experience with the mechanics) and 1 "bad" one, just for parts.

We measured the valve clearance on the bikes: the "good" one had good clearance, but both the "ugly" and the "bad" had tight valves (0.05 - 0.1 mm). First we practiced disassembling the valve assembly on the "bad" motorcycle, because it is just a parts donor anyway, so we could fuckup.

This went OK, so then we adjusted the valves on the "ugly" one, by replacing the shims. I also took off the right engine cover, to check for contamination in the oil screen, but there was none > good. (The bad bike had quite some metal particles in the oil screen > not good.)

Anyway, now the problem: After re-assembling the "ugly" bike, it started in 1 kick and seems to be running better than before (better reaction to choke, less klunky and noisy in general, etc.), so that's great. But I noticed a funny shrieking noise when I run it at high revs (higher than 6k) and especially a very loud shriek when I release the throttle, after a bit of high revs. Also in the last scenario, when I rev up and release really fast, it not only gives a very loud shriek, but it also misfires 1 time. Sometimes it will then even stall or almost stall.

Any ideas what this might be?

I checked on the "good" NX 250, which already had good valve clearance (0.22 mm) and that we didn't do any mechanical work to, and this bike also has a bit of this shrieking, but much, much less. Also it doesn't misfire in the rev up and release fast scenario. But I hear the shriek very lightly and in the background when it is running higher revs and even when it's iddling. Is this a typical NX 250 sound? I didn't even notice it, before I heard it on the "ugly" bike and then started listening really closely to the good one as well.

So is this sound typical for NX 250s? And what would cause this sound to become more pronounced?? Is the misfire related and what could be the cause of it?? And the 10.000$ question: Does it hurt to be driving a machine with this sound and misfire or am I slowly destroying something...???

Many thanks in advance for helping us out with this! :)

And if someone has any questions, we would be happy to answer them.

Greetings from The Netherlands!

Dave and Marly
www.travelin.tk

Sambucas screwed with this post 11-01-2010 at 04:00 AM
Sambucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #3649
catneck
Rabid Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 359
WTB: NX250 Parts

Hi all.
I just purchased a 1990 NX, and while in good shape, I need a few parts to make it even better.
I Need:
Right Mirror
Rear Fender
Front Fender
Looking for mint or NOS parts if I can find them.
Thanks!

catneck screwed with this post 12-08-2010 at 10:12 AM
catneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #3650
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
So I'm definitely missing a dowel that goes between the cylinder head and cylinder. I mentioned I had a coolant leak and thought it could have been caused by the loose cylinder head nuts, well it was. That and the missing dowel, since that's where the leak was coming from. I'm really scratching my head at why there's no dowel though.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #3651
alex9111
Awesomeo!

Oddometer: 6
NX250 riders!! please help!!

Soo... I just got her all tuned up and riding good, then I get a flat tire in the back. It's a fast leak too, I filled it up and 30 seconds later it was flat. So, are there tubes in these tires?? What the first step to replace? Buy a new tube or new tire, or both? I can't find the hole anywhere :(, any help would be great, THANKS!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #3652
Rabidsquirrel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambucas
Short introduction:
Me and my girl will be traveling through Africa on 2 Honda NX 250 motorcycles (Amsterdam - Cape Town, east shore). We plan to leave in the next 2 weeks.

We have a website, but it's in Dutch (although it has an English translation by Google): www.travelin.tk. We bought 3 NX 250 bikes: 1 "good" one (well maintained, ready to go), 1 "ugly" one, that is not so well maintained (cheaper and to get some experience with the mechanics) and 1 "bad" one, just for parts.

We measured the valve clearance on the bikes: the "good" one had good clearance, but both the "ugly" and the "bad" had tight valves (0.05 - 0.1 mm). First we practiced disassembling the valve assembly on the "bad" motorcycle, because it is just a parts donor anyway, so we could fuckup.

This went OK, so then we adjusted the valves on the "ugly" one, by replacing the shims. I also took off the right engine cover, to check for contamination in the oil screen, but there was none > good. (The bad bike had quite some metal particles in the oil screen > not good.)

Anyway, now the problem: After re-assembling the "ugly" bike, it started in 1 kick and seems to be running better than before (better reaction to choke, less klunky and noisy in general, etc.), so that's great. But I noticed a funny shrieking noise when I run it at high revs (higher than 6k) and especially a very loud shriek when I release the throttle, after a bit of high revs. Also in the last scenario, when I rev up and release really fast, it not only gives a very loud shriek, but it also misfires 1 time. Sometimes it will then even stall or almost stall.

Any ideas what this might be?

I checked on the "good" NX 250, which already had good valve clearance (0.22 mm) and that we didn't do any mechanical work to, and this bike also has a bit of this shrieking, but much, much less. Also it doesn't misfire in the rev up and release fast scenario. But I hear the shriek very lightly and in the background when it is running higher revs and even when it's iddling. Is this a typical NX 250 sound? I didn't even notice it, before I heard it on the "ugly" bike and then started listening really closely to the good one as well.

So is this sound typical for NX 250s? And what would cause this sound to become more pronounced?? Is the misfire related and what could be the cause of it?? And the 10.000$ question: Does it hurt to be driving a machine with this sound and misfire or am I slowly destroying something...???

Many thanks in advance for helping us out with this! :)

And if someone has any questions, we would be happy to answer them.

Greetings from The Netherlands!

Dave and Marly
www.travelin.tk

going to go out on a limb here, that sounds like you have a bearing going out, or not enough oil getting to the top end.
that could explain the metal shavings in the oil screen.

that noise is not normal, don't run it until you find out what it is.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #3653
Rabidsquirrel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex9111
Soo... I just got her all tuned up and riding good, then I get a flat tire in the back. It's a fast leak too, I filled it up and 30 seconds later it was flat. So, are there tubes in these tires?? What the first step to replace? Buy a new tube or new tire, or both? I can't find the hole anywhere :(, any help would be great, THANKS!
I found a local tire shop that does bike tires for about 1/3 the price of the motorcycle shops.

see if you can find one and take the whole rear wheel in, you should be able to get it patched for $20 or less.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #3654
alex9111
Awesomeo!

Oddometer: 6
Re:

Thats a good Idea, thanks man
Old 11-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #3655
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Why not pick up a set of tire spoons and patch it yourself? The spoons and the patch kit will cost less than one patch job at a tire place. There are some tricks to it, but it's darn simple once you get the hang of it. I've done all the mounting, balancing, patching, etc. on all my motorcycles. It's a skill that no motorcyclist should be without. Not to mention that it will save you a lot of money over time.
I've patched tubes on the side of the road before and saved myself a big headache.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #3656
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,996
Sambucas - welcome, that is an epic trip you have planned. Please updated us on the progress here. The noise does not sound like a good thing. Time to open her up and look at a few things.

alex9111 - changing a tire is a not a hard job, only basic skills are required and as TheRadBaron said a skill no motorcyclist should be without. Here is a little vid that will help you get a grasp of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIBm0...eature=related
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:15 AM   #3657
Sambucas
travelin.tk

[QUOTE=ArthDuro]Sambucas - welcome, that is an epic trip you have planned. Please updated us on the progress here. The noise does not sound like a good thing. Time to open her up and look at a few things.

Hi ArthDuro,

Thanks for your reply! :)
Different opinions about the noise. Some people says it is something that definitely needs to be addressed, but other people state that almost all engines and/or motorbikes have their noises (either type related or for each individual one) and that usually (if it is not too loud, obvious and you don't have other problems) it is just something you get used to and learn to live with.
Some people also state that if you are not 100% sure about your case, like in my case (because I am a 90% confident mechanic, not 100% confident and because I will not be commuting, but planning a big trip), you might always find/hear something that worries you, but you actually should not worry about it too much.

Anyway, about the noise itself. I have opened up the engine several times and all of the things that I have checked so far are just fine (valve clearance, torque of all cam related bolts, cam chain tension, and the whole lower right part of the engine (cluch, oil pump, water pump, lower cam chain sprocket, etc.), the starter motor gearing and carburator). So the question now is: what is producing this noise? So then I know:
- Where to look for the problem (which part of the engine to open up)
- Is this a serious concern for the lifespan of my engine (someone suggested it might be a leaking gasket on the carburator, which is not life-threatening for the engine, so I could life with that, at least for a while to come).

I don't think the sound is bearing-related (worn bearings usually produce a knocking sounds under load), so that would the most life-threatening concern that is taken away.

I have checked the whole cam-valve-mechanism, so that also does not seem to be the source of the sound, which is also a big concern less.

Question is: what is left to check...

I will be taking the bike to a workshop soon, so they can have a listen, but any suggestions are always welcome and appreciated! :)

Thanks again!

Greetings from Holland!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #3658
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,996
well sounded bad at first
but now that you checked all of that it doesn't sound that bad.

if it is a shrieking like a breathing noise hehe

There may air leaks but those should be easy to diagnose, check the intake boot and everything else around it.

good luck
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #3659
Sambucas
travelin.tk

I grabbed some videos where you can hear the sound:

Filmed from the cockpit (with tachometer): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXX8atg1_EY

Filmed from the exhaust side (better sound): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVtTfLIQH_8

I am curious what you guys thing of it...

Cheers,
Old 11-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #3660
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Now just to find out what a CRfail230SM front suspension feels like...

The NX250

http://www.hondaofcoolsprings.com/fi...r=1989&fveh=35

DUST SEAL
91254-KR6-003

WASHER (8MM)
90544-283-000

SPRING, REBOUND
51411-KW3-003

RING, PISTON
51437-KAZ-003 (replaces 51437-463-003)

The CRF230M

http://www.hondaofcoolsprings.com/fi...009&fveh=26236