when you go high tech you better be loosing the vibration

it is also nice to see what the rider is looking at
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #3782
BarnBikeBuilder
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 6
Thanks for the welcome. Current mods include a custom windscreen, custom exhaust tip, 17" rear wheel, Acerbis supermoto fender, auxiliary fan switch, and tractor supply tank bags. Previous owner made a diamond plate rear fender which doubles as a rack.
Attached Images

BarnBikeBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #3783
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 233
Does the front end feel any different after changing out the fender? I would be a little concerned about losing the stiffness of the fork brace under the fender.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #3784
BarnBikeBuilder
Adventure Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastropjoel View Post
Does the front end feel any different after changing out the fender? I would be a little concerned about losing the stiffness of the fork brace under the fender.

I left the fork brace in place. You can't see it in the pictures.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #3785
BarnBikeBuilder
Adventure Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastropjoel View Post
The foot pegs I mentioned in post 3755 will fit. Stock springs will not work. I am going without the springs. The pegs were a little loose, so I jammed a flat washer in there and the friction fit keeps the pegs in place nicely. The front of the pegs is about an inch closer to the shifter/brake, so if you have big feet or stiff boots you may want a longer shift lever.

New are the cheap Chinese pegs off ebay for:
2000-2005 Honda XR50R,70,80,100
1987-2005 Kawasaki KLR 650

Thanks for the link. Ordered mine today.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #3786
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 350
bastropjoel
Great trail ride and video!
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #3787
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
Is it a good idea to make the hole in the top of the airbox bigger, like one can do on the Suzuki DR's??

Picked up an old beater of an AX-1 for my friend yesterday. It's in the shop for a full engine and body rebuild. New camchain, piston and rings, starter, rear shock rebuild, plastic refurb and respray in cream. I'll post some pictures when it's done.

Might be almost as pretty as mine;)

Jacl-Kampuchea screwed with this post 01-28-2011 at 01:47 AM
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #3788
Honda Scoot
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
Is it a good idea to make the hole in the top of the airbox bigger, like one can do on the Suzuki DR's??
Opened the top of my air box with a wood bit. Left the steel baffle and resonator in place for obvious reasons.

This was done at the same time as the exhaust and gearing mods, so it is hard to say if this mod alone makes any performance gains. It now makes intake noise that was not noticeable previously.

Quote:
Picked up an old beater of an AX-1 for my friend yesterday. It's in the shop for a full engine and body rebuild. New camchain, piston and rings, starter, rear shock rebuild, plastic refurb and respray in cream. I'll post some pictures when it's done.

Everyone loves a purdy bike!
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #3789
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
There's always been a lot of discussion here about the advantages and disadvantages of swapping the rear wheel for a 17" unit.
My original plan was to keep the stock 19"/16" setup and use the stock Trail Wing tires, but after riding the bike around this last fall I decided that wasn't going to fit in with my plans. Since I don't have a title for my NX, I mainly use it for off road exploring and it became clear very quickly that the Trail Wings leave a lot to be desired off road.
Some folks feel that if you want a hard core dirt bike than you should get one, and if you want a really well-rounded, good looking, exquisitely engineered and all around brilliant dual-sport bike with a real sweetheart of an engine, than you should get an NX250. Well, I have an NX250, it's certainly not beautiful in its present state, and I want a dirt bike. The previous owner must have also wanted a dirt bike though he went about it getting it out of his NX in a more caveman-like manner than I would have (see picture below).

I fixed it up into this, but its off road abilities were still limited by its tire and wheel options.

So last night I took the plunge on Ebay and bought a 21" front and 17" rear wheel from an '85 XL350. They should be a bolt-on swap. I know that the rear wheel will work, but I've gotten some conflicting information on the front wheel.
While I've got the bike apart, I'll take the opportunity to install a braided stainless front brake hose to see if it helps out with the sponginess of the front brake. I got one made with a 90 degree fitting instead of the stock "straight out" fitting that interferes with the hand guards.
I'll report back when I have the stuff installed.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #3790
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
I just picked up a NX250 and am excited to turn it into a city crusher. I'll post a picture when I get a chance tomorrow. This thread has a lot of info in it, I've been trying to read through.

My first question: Previous owner said the Left Crankcase Cover has a crack in it. The bike is slowly leaking oil from the left side and there was a poor jb weld repair job (previous to the guy I bought it from). Bikebandit had the part for $120ish plus I'll need a new gasket. Post#2324 says the part number is 11341-KW3-010 and that 3 other bikes have use the same part. I'd like to ebay a cheaper part if possible (there are 3 right side covers on ebay but I need a left). Any idea what bikes share the same left crankcase cover?

Thanks in advance for any reply. I'm excited to get this NX running, its gonna be a sweet mini terminator street ride.
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #3791
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
From what I can tell the 3 bikes that use the cover are the '87, '88', and '89 models NX250. I don't think the cover was used on a different model.
If you choose to buy it new, check out www.servicehonda.com. They probably have it cheaper. Maybe try posting a want ad here, someone probably has one laying around. That or one is bound to turn up on Ebay sooner or later.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 PM   #3792
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Post #2337 answered my question, the cover only fits the NX250 (if there is a 3 at the end of his list then it fits the 3 years of the nx).

Thanks TheRadBaron for the tip to look at service honda, its 20 bucks cheaper there. Once I take the cover off and fully inspect it I'll probably take it to a shop and have them braze or weld at patch for it.

I need to post a picture of it and then go through it this weekend. Rode her home when I bought it and now it won't start, ha typical!
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #3793
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
Quote:

They made it pretty

and my friend looks happy with it:

Full rebuild and repaint. New 3rd and 5th gear, new valves, camchain, piston and rings, starter, brake disks, dials, valves, chain and sprockets, seat recovered and suspension improved - though still not as good as mine - he's going to take it back to them to get it jacked up and toughened up a bit.

Beater bike = $800

Rebuild = $500

Good bike for $1300, eh?
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #3794
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,982
very nice, that thing sure looks clean now

I think it is safe to say that you are the king of deals
now you just gotta find a way to get all of that available to us heheh
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #3795
sbk4me
n00b

Wanted: good rear fender

Anyone have a good rear fender for sale? Does not matter which color, just good condition, not cracked, not broke.
sbk4me is offline   Reply With Quote